Rate the last film you watched

Pretty simple idea, just say what the last film you watched was and rate it out of 10, then if you like add a short comment - save big reviews of new releases for the discussion threads about them.

Heres my latest:

Unknown - 6/10 - disappointing, i think the disc menu gave too much away.

Sucker Punch - 7/10 visually beautiful and more understandable on second viewing, unfortunately i watched the theatrical version as the discs were not labelled with which version they were - i'll give it another go another time.

Flags of our Fathers - 7/10 I probably would have liked this more if it wasn't cropped to fullscreen for tv

Comments

• Battle Los Angeles - 10/10 - realistic portrayal of war with an alien twist. Straight forward alien invasion kick some butt movie. Even better a second time around & after you figure out what the aliens are.
    I Am Number 4 - 7/10 - kind of a teenie bopper film but the effects were pretty good 'til the alien dog. Story had some thought behind it.

• Battle Los Angeles - 10/10 - realistic portrayal of war with an alien twist. Straight forward alien invasion kick some butt movie. Even better a second time around & after you figure out what the aliens are.

I couldn't get past the utterly cliché script, "we've already had breakfast". the script made that film into a comedy, but the technical side of things was impressive, compositing ect.
  • Children of men - 8/10 - i'd never really ever got round to watching this when it first came out but it was on telly the other night whilst i was on holiday so i gave it a watch and thought it was pretty amazing. The continuous shots were really impressive, even if a lot of it was skillful composititinh/digital effects. The casting of Michael Caine in this was genius and reminded me of how amazing an actor he is.
    Jeepers creepers 2 - 6-7/10 - Can't really decide abou this- i've watched it a lot of times with my brothers when we were younger and decided to watch it again the other night. Whilst a bit cheesy it was very spooky in parts- that sort of feeling you get whilst watching horror films where it makes you very uneasy and you're not sure why- it had an excellent retro feel to it- not necessarily relying on gire like most horror films nowadays; Saw, Final destination etc. For entertainment value and chills it's definately above mediocre yet i don't think it's as classic as other horrors.
    Cool post StrikeEm- will be nice to see how other people rate film. I really need to see flags of our fathers and it's counterpart; letters from Iwo Jima- i saw a bit of the first one on film4 the other week but was just too tired to watch.
    Sam
  • Predator - 10/10 - "I aint got time to bleed" One of the best spoken lines in film ever.
    Captain America - 7/10 For a good story, good acting and for not be able to tell whether him skinny or muscle was the CGI.
  • Super 8 - 8/10 - Fantastic film made by one of my favourite directors, J.J Abrams (Mr.Lens Flare). Incredible visuals and a genuinely brilliant story . Really enjoyed it:D
  • edited September 2011
    Hanna - 9/10. some polarised reviews out there, but I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Very good acting, good direction, good action scenes. So, yeh, the plot may not be very realistic, but it absolutely worked for me
    Sucker Punch - meh, 4/10, visual over substance for me. I just couldn't get engaged. Even thought the action scenes on paper should work, they just didn't for me.
  • Attack the Block - 10/10. I love everything about this film, it's almost certainly going to be my film of the year. It uses what it has to maximum effect. Clever filmmaking indeed.
    The Transporter - 6/10. Really good fun with some hilarious action. I wasn't sure how funny it was supposed to be, but taken as a farcical comedy it worked really well. I liked how inventive the action was at times. I was ill and slightly delirious when I watched this, which might have factored into how much I enjoyed it.
  • Hanna - 6/10. I was just really disappointed with this movie. I was expecting something really exciting and engaging, but everyone who I watched it with, (myself included) complained that it seemed the punches and kicks during the fight scenes were just really slow. The story was pretty good but I wasn't that interested and definitely wasn't attached to any of the characters. The whole movie just didn't work for me at all.

• Hanna - 6/10. I was just really disappointed with this movie. I was expecting something really exciting and engaging, but everyone who I watched it with, (myself included) complained that it seemed the punches and kicks during the fight scenes were just really slow. The story was pretty good but I wasn't that interested and definitely wasn't attached to any of the characters. The whole movie just didn't work for me at all.

That just shows the polarised reviews! :-) I thought action scenes were excellent and quite realistic (apart from Hanna being able to take on full grown men etc). I didn't perceive kicks & punches to be slow at all. Maybe compared to the fast & frantic Jason Bourne type editing? (which I like as well btw). I am surprised about the characters not working for you as especially the girl's part (Saoirse Ronan)was IMHO acted really well. I also thought that the Chemical Brothers soundtrack worked extremely well.
  • Attack The Block: 8/10. Really enjoyable and straightforward with some amazing cinematography and visuals, great acting, fantastic creature design and a great sense of fun.
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: 8/10. A very stylish film with a great cast.

• Attack The Block: 8/10. Really enjoyable and straightforward with some amazing cinematography and visuals, great acting, fantastic creature design and a great sense of fun.

Yes! I've not watched a film that does exactly what it sets out to do with quite such precision as Attack the Block for quite some time.
  • @3dmus Ah yes, I did indeed really like the soundtrack. I didn't think about it when writing my review though. I definitely favor the Jason Bourne style actions scenes. Fast moving, shaky camera, etc. To me, in comparison, it was slow. Since I'm so used to Bourne movie style fighting, such as that in the Nolan Batman movies, the new james bond movies, and such, it looked much slower.
    As far as her acting went, I thought she did a good job, but her character, for me, wasn't likable. There were times when I did feel bad for her, but eventually I was just like, "what the heck?" so I guess it just depends.
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: 8/10. I really enjoyed it and yet felt a bit empty afterwards, as if there wasn't enough of a reveal with the mole.

• Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: 8/10. I really enjoyed it and yet felt a bit empty afterwards, as if there wasn't enough of a reveal with the mole.

Yeah I know what you mean, I think that maybe the reveal was a little underplayed even in a film where everything was underplayed. The ice cool style and restraint worked for most of the film though, and I liked the idea that there was no drama to the moles unmasking, it was just presented as a sad, plain fact.

• I couldn't get past the utterly cliché script, "we've already had breakfast". the script made that film into a comedy, but the technical side of things was impressive, compositing ect.

There were some serious parts that I thought were done rather well. The kid and his dad dying- the kid being befriended by the lead character- the guy whos brother was killed under the lead character's command.....but......
    I think the comedic element was intended- at least I took it that way. Still worked better than an ape having a "bad hair day".
  • edited September 2011
    I'm really looking forward to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The cast is phenomenal, and the trailer gave me chills.
    Attack The Block - 9/10
    The acting, effects, creature design, and overall flow of this film are masterful. I really enjoyed it a lot. There's a slow motion shot toward the end with Moses running from a pack of the beasts, and it's just beautifully achieved. I would love to see some footage about how they did the creatures, because they're SO cool.
    X-Men: First Class - 7/10
    Aside from some atrocious German from Kevin Bacon, and some ridiculously cheesy moments (like anything involving Banshee or Angel, and Beast's rather silly appearance later on,) I thought this was a huge step up from the last couple of X-Men films. Maybe not quite as good as X2, but McAvoy and Fassbender knocked it out of the park, and I'd really love to see another film with that cast. And don't get me wrong, Bacon was a really good bad guy, it's just that his German was mostly cringe-worthy.
  • Yeah, I really liked First Class but it did feel a little rushed in places. There were some shots and themes that I'm pretty sure Vaughn would have tidied up if he'd had more time. Not least that awful 'fast running' shot with Beast. Erghk.
    The Attack the Block UK blu-ray has EXCELLENT Making Of stuff, including lots of creature bits and pieces. The creatures were essentially all man-in-suit, with rotoscoped grading on top to give them the flat, silhouette appearance, and occasionally CG jaws. Oh, and there were only ever 2 suits. Very clever design and brilliantly executed - I like that the specific design of the creature plays to the strengths and weaknesses of a low budget film: ie, it's so black you can barely see it.
  • Moon
    Story driven, good acting, drama. I love it ;)
    10/10
  • I see, basically, every single movie I can that is released in theaters.
    Coincidentally, the last two movies I saw were some of my favorite thus far in 2011, and likely both big Oscar contenders.
    The first was Drive, a brutal crime drama with Ryan Gosling as an elusive wheelman. I think, despite the entire movie being, literally, beat-by-beat in the trailer, it's one of the finest and most well-crafted films of the year. And currently number 2 in my Top Ten list for 2011. I feel like it's greatness had to waft over me a few days before it was fully cemented (I went to a press early screening of it initially), but upon a second viewing I really did feel like I was watching a masterpiece. Stoic, scant on words, and a tad bit directorially over-indulgent. But a stylish, fun, wrenching masterpiece nonetheless. I'd be hard-pressed not to give this a perfect score. 10/10
    The second is the slightly over-promoted and blah-looking, but absolutely-surprising-enchanting-intelligent-witty-and-well-made movie Moneyball. This one I was more surprised by, and certainly had a 360 on once I realized it was (mostly) written by Aaron Sorkin. I'm generally a Brad Pitt fan, and a baseball fan, but you need be neither to enjoy Moneyball. It's a film engrossed in the process of accounting and making the most of dollars and cents- even when it comes to a multi-million-dollar team franchise. The acting was top-notch, and the story is fresh- but really this is a movie I thoroughly enjoyed because of pacing. Yes, pacing. With such a firey sense of whiz-bang Sorkinian dictionary, the film's presentation never feels rushed, or characters too chatty or pretentious. In fact, there's almost an eerie stillness and silence to much of Moneyball that meshes with the quickfire bits of ideosyncratic musings in a delightfully entertaining manner. Despite the 2.5 hour runtime, I was on the edge of my seat much of the screening. Not to find out the plot or outcome, which like many I already knew (as the film is based on the real-life Oakland As), but to experience the journey and trials in getting there. It's expertly paced, adequately directed, naturally acted, and wittily-written. And for these merits, it too made my Top Ten. 9/10
    But again, those are only my most recent moviegoing ventures. I try for a few a week.
  • edited September 2011
    Finally caught 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' earlier this evening and was underwhelmed. It felt overly expository and lacking in depth. I had pretty high expectations coming into it, but found myself watching the 'remaining time' ticker on Netflix on more than one occasion. Felt longer than the actual 88 minutes it is billed at...which isn't a good thing.
    Gave it a 3/5 on Netflix, which (if my maths are correct) would roughly equate to a 6/10 on your grading scale.
    Hanna on the other hand... B-)
  • Nice thread!
    Attack the Block 9/10: Really enjoyed this, well executed and genuinely funny.
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 8/10: Excellent film, well shot and the production design was excellent - felt very Cold War. As for the downplayed ending, I found that refreshing compared to the standard DUN-DUN-DAHHHHH approach.
    I've been meaning to watch Battle: Los Angeles for a while now, because the effects look pretty impressive, even if plot-wise I'm not expecting to be astounded. Really enjoyed Hanna at the cinema, think I'd have given that an 8.
  • I watched Warrior yesterday. It's an awesome film and Hardy is the perfect pick for Bane in next year's Batman judging from his performance
  • edited September 2011
    Saw Apocalypse Now for the first time (on Bluray). Was completely blown away until the hugely anticlimactic mess of an ending.
  • Shine: 8/10. Never saw this before but managed to catch it on TV recently. All of the actors who play the protagonist are great, but especially so Geoffrey Rush.
  • Pooky - did you watch the awesome original or the messy 'redux' version?
  • Never Back Down 2: 7/10
    The Family Man: 6/10
  • edited September 2011

Pooky - did you watch the awesome original or the messy 'redux' version?
    The awesome original. I hate how they build up Kurtz so much and make it seem like it'll be some big thing that opens our eyes or that is exciting (that silhouette photo of him is an incredible plot device), then when you get there it's an anticlimactic mix of fat Marlon Brando who talks in monotone jumbled poetry in the dark, patched together shots of Martin Sheen just standing around looking dazed, and a hippy photographer. I think it would've been genuinely better had they gotten someone other than fat-Brando and had Kurtz actually doing something other than sit around.
  • I quite like how entirely pointless it all is - it's the final comment on the degrading pointlessness of war, that a rambling madman could be seen as some kind of prophet. All that effort and struggle, for nothing.
    I've not watched it for years. I should really do something about that!
  • edited September 2011

I quite like how entirely pointless it all is - it's the final comment on the degrading pointlessness of war, that a rambling madman could be seen as some kind of prophet. All that effort and struggle, for nothing.
    I've not watched it for years. I should really do something about that!

I suppose that does make sense. At any rate I found it more "disappointing" than bad, so if that was the point then I'm satisfied :)
    And definitely &!@£¢# watch the &?%@#+ Bluray. It was mindblowing.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment