Are there ANY proffesional films, made with Hitfilm to view.

I've waited and waited to see some, and i think it's time to ask the question.
Are there ANY professional films...ads...etc. Made with Hitfilm to view.
For instance, if i look at Nuke there are obviously tons of professional films made with
Nuke. I'm not comparing Nuke to HitFilm, but the fact that I can't find ANY professional
projects made with HitFilm is worrying.
By now...at least 3 years on, you would think we could find a few. Also, i find the
level of the actual rendering seems to be sub-par. It always looks slightly muddy or
"dirty" looking. I've looked through dozens and dozens of "films" on the community
forum, none look professionally color graded and/or rendered.
No need for folks to get themselves in an uproar. I like HitFilm for hobbyist type use,
I use HitFilm and like the interface far more than Adobe's...well ANYTHING Adobe. But
i'm still forced to use Premier or AE for industry compatibility. But...so far we haven't
seen any PROFESSIONAL results with HitFilm. If there are any, please post a few. (ie:
NOT tests, tutorials, home clips, trailers, unknown "studios" short films etc...etc..) A
professionally rendered ad or theatrical film (or vfx portion of a film).

Comments

• edited July 2014
    "i find the
    level of the actual rendering seems to be sub-par. It always looks slightly muddy or
    "dirty" looking. I've looked through dozens and dozens of "films" on the community
    forum, none look professionally color graded and/or rendered."

I would disagree with your criticisms of HF's rendering. Bad rendering is typically user error. You need to know your editing and delivery formats to get the best results.

"Are there ANY professional films...ads...etc. Made with Hitfilm to view.
    For instance, if i look at Nuke there are obviously tons of professional films made with
    Nuke. I'm not comparing Nuke to HitFilm, but the fact that I can't find ANY professional
    projects made with HitFilm is worrying."

This whole post is a comparison of HF to nuke and AE. Nuke and AE are much much more expensive and have been around longer. HF is a great low cost alternative to these programs, which is good because I am not willing to pirate (steal) nuke or AE. (I'm not adressing this part to you, but its always funny how people complain and compare HF to nuke or AE when they are stealing nuke and AE. Price matters when your actually paying for software.)
    "No need for folks to get themselves in an uproar. I like HitFilm for hobbyist type use,
    I use HitFilm and like the interface far more than Adobe's...well ANYTHING Adobe. But
    i'm still forced to use Premier or AE for industry compatibility. But...so far we haven't
    seen any PROFESSIONAL results with HitFilm"

I have seen lots of pro results, but I'm not going to spend more time collecting them and posting them here. Youtubes compression looks horrible btw, so you should watch movies on the movie wall in HD.
    Anyway, I love using HF and I hope the devs keep up the good work. Its hard to break into an area that has been dominated by a massive corporation like adobe when you are a small company. 
  • edited July 2014
    First of all, as my purchases can attest, i've been using this software since
    FXhome (but not in my professional work as I noted ). Second, you haven't shown ANYTHING i was asking. Your statement "i have" shows nothing, WHERE have you seen this?  Give me links.
    Third  i said I AM NOT comparing to Nuke, but the rendering has to be of the highest quality for PRO use. If the intent of this program is NOT to be used professionally, than fine, let's hear that. If you compare renders to other PRO software, it is lacking. Yes that's my opinion. Saying it is a "low cost software" is not
    an excuse for sub par rendering. I would venture to guess that the HitFilm developers would not agree with you saying that. I'm sure they don't agree with my opinion of  the renders, but then show me something they think it SHOULD be comparable to.
    The focus should be placed HEAVILY on rendering quality.  And as you say...the quality of the final output is HEAVILY dependent on the user. Which is why i would like to SEE the renders from BEST PROFESSIONAL USAGE. (ie theatrical releases usage ...broadcast advertising usages...broadcast programs.
    Thanks!
  • edited July 2014
    Well, thats just your opinion. I have seen none of the bad rendering you talk about. Using the correct editing formats plays a large role in your renders, regardless of what software youre using. And I dont really care if HF has been used in a hollywood movie. I think the software is great, does what I need, and thats all that matters. Despite what you think, professionals do use HF as part of their workflow. I do. I'm not going to post that work because it would be illegal. Just because you personally cant find examples doesnt mean they dont exist. 
  • edited July 2014
    Then you haven't looked. AND..it's not illegal to post a link. Your being just being silly. The fact remains...I can see dozens and dozens of professionally produced and used examples of AE and/or Nuke.. in broadcast and theatrical usage.
    Here's the Nuke showreel...sue me ;)
    http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/about-us/showreels/
    These represent the HIGHEST form of the software's usage. This what HItFilm is lacking..  While it can't be a $25,000 Nuke program. The renders HAVE to meet broadcast professional quality. Which is why THOSE EXAMPLE must be seem, for HitFilm to reach it's potential and not be stuck as a "hobbyists" cheap alternative.
    I AM hoping HitFilm can reach that render quality. I invite ANYONE to add some links to see that type of  professional quality output for HitFilm. (NOT the actual effects, that's to much to expect)
    I like HitFIlm...i want to see it reach it "cost effective" potential. And you aren't helping.
  • There aren't nearly as many examples of HitFilm in broadcast productions as Nuke or AE, largely because those programs have become ingrained in the professional workflow over many years of use, from before HitFilm ever existed.  But there are examples out there; here are a couple:
    Video Game High School uses HitFilm extensively, in fact, we developed the Derez effect specifically for the show: http://www.rocketjump.com/category/vghs
    Corridor Digital created Prism using HitFilm: http://youtu.be/9QoNouEfjuo
  • Mmmmmmm hmm. Prism for the win.
  • Thanks Axel, this is some of the best i've seen so far. We need more of the professional productions to really see rendering capabilities. While these meet Saturday morning kids TV level of production...it's a good start. HitFilm developers need to push HARD to get  broadcast and theatrical "cred".
    I hope people can find more high level production usage examples. 
    Im sure you can see the output quality in the Nuke showreel link. (again..i don't necessarily mean the VFX) Of course it's tough to get a handle on the potential until someone uses HitFilm with all the best cameras, lighting direction ..etc  I guess it will take some more time until those examples show up.
  • edited July 2014
    Then you haven't looked. AND..it's not illegal to post a link. Your being just being silly. The fact remains...I can see dozens and dozens of professionally produced and used examples of AE and/or Nuke.. in broadcast and theatrical usage.
    Here's the Nuke showreel...sue me ;)
    http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/about-us/showreels/
    These represent the HIGHEST form of the software's usage. This what HItFilm is lacking..  While it can't be a $25,000 Nuke program. The renders HAVE to meet broadcast professional quality. Which is why THOSE EXAMPLE must be seem, for HitFilm to reach it's potential and not be stuck as a "hobbyists" cheap alternative.
    I AM hoping HitFilm can reach that render quality. I invite ANYONE to add some links to see that type of  professional quality output for HitFilm. (NOT the actual effects, that's to much to expect)
    I like HitFIlm...i want to see it reach it "cost effective" potential. And you aren't helping.

Hi. Yeah, your not reading my posts closely enough. I said that I use HF professionally and I cannot post links of my work because it would be illegal.
    If your not comparing AE and nuke to HF then why do you keep on comparing AE and nuke to HF?  
    HF renders great and works for professional use. If your not getting good results you should look into how your transcoding the footage from your camera and what format your transcoding it to for editing.
    I'm pretty sure the video below uses HF.
    http://youtu.be/hDlif8Km4S4

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    I may regret this, but....

Are there ANY professional films...ads...etc. Made with Hitfilm to view.
    so far we haven't seen any PROFESSIONAL results with HitFilm. If there are any, please post a few. (ie:
    NOT tests, tutorials, home clips, trailers, unknown "studios" short films etc...etc..) A
    professionally rendered ad or theatrical film (or vfx portion of a film).

So, it seems when you're saying "PROFESSIONAL" in big, shouty all-caps, you're referring to major Hollywood Studio tentpole films. In which case, no, there are probably not any "professional" examples of Hitfilm use. The only thing truly restricting Hitfilm in that department is a current lack of any kind of 16-bit output. In other words, exports in TIFF image sequences would open up Hitfilm for that use.
    So--we have to define a "professional." Personally, I am an independent freelancer, non-union. My sole income for the last 9 years has been from my video and photo work (ok, I also do floors, but that's about 10% of my income). So, yeah, even while independent and freelance, I'll call myself a "professional."
    Among my clients are LVTV and KWST; these are the local government and community stations for La Verne and San Dimas CA. Since we are FCC licensed, under FCC regulation, follow the same FCC rules as a major network, and maintain over-air transmission as well as digital broadcast via our TIme Warner and Comcast channels, I'm going to say we count as a "real," or "professional" station, albeit on a much smaller scale than a FOX, BBC or NBC. And, yes, we use Hitfilm a lot for show openings, credit sequences, lower thirds and bumpers.
    This summer, one of my jobs is Industry Hills Speedway: That is a multi-million dollar motocross event with national sponsors including Monster Energy, Budweiser, etc,etc, etc. At the end of the season we shoot the world championships--we have racers from all over the world. While we're not broadcast on cable TV, our webcasts have 15,000-20,000 audiences every week ranging from So-Cal to Australia to Russia. WE use Hitfilm for Lower Third and Logo animations.
    Speaking of broadcast--I also shot several CIF championships last year. Some of those games were picked up and broadcast at the national level by ESPN as part of their High-School football coverage. Again, our lower thirds and scoreboards were done in Hitfilm.
    Sorry--I can't post links to this work. LVTV and KWST do maintain subscriber VOD pages, but don't put most things on YouTube for public consumption. Video rights for Speedway are tied up where we can do the stream but the League owns the video and has broadcast/internet rights. They have not seen fit to post online. Those CIF games, are also copywritten, and, again, I can't upload that to YouTube.
    On this forum I can point right to this: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/5363-commercial-app-teaser-finished-complety-done-w-hitfilm-2-ultimate/?hl=commercial#entry43624
    Majahr did that trailer for a worldwide app release entirely in Hitfilm. Not a major studio film, but that's PROFESSIONAL work.
    Of course here: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/3831-shellshock/page-3?hl=commercial
    We have a Hitfilm user who, based on his short films, got contracted to do the official promotional video for a Russian Lazer Tag company. Official promo videos for national product launches are PROFESSIONAL work.
    Now, I doubt Hitfilm was used on this project, but SyFy is about to release "Sharknado 2: The Second One." The first "Sharknado" was a low-budget project--about $250,000--but it was a union shoot, and, while Tara Reid and Ian Ziering's fortunes have faded somewhat, both performers are internationally famous, have been in major studio releases, and "Sharknado" was a union shoot with international distribution--it's a PROFESSIONAL project. It also looked like crap. Fun crap, but crap. Hitfilm is easily able to exceed the output renders of "Sharknado."
    Bert Poole, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1041230/ , my fiancee's cousin is not a Hitfilm user. But I've shown him the software, interface, features and output renders, and he is VERY impressed by the quality of this software.
    Dan Novy, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0637284/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 , my friend is also VERY impressed by Hitfilm.
    Neither of these men are Hitfilm users, both both men have said that if they were back in their "just starting out" days, Hitfilm would be the program they picked up first. They have both recommended Hitfilm to students and other people just getting into the joys of VFX.
    Now, I'm pretty sure Hitfilm Ultimate isn't aimed at the PROFESSIONAL studio--Hitfilm's goal has always been to bring high-quality VFX tools to amateurs, independents and beginners, and that's a valid business model, and a great market to go after. Someone who has an artistic eye and becomes skillful in Hitfilm will be able to take those skills into AE or NUKE if required to learn those platforms later on for "industry-standard" compatibility, so for a first-time buyer, Hitfilm is still a fantastic choice. But the name "Hit-Film" itself shows what the company is aiming for--high quality VFX with an emphasis on tools for the type of action movie that makes all the money these days (i.e. the Muzzle Flash effect. AE and Nuke certainly don't have particle-based muzzle flashes. Nope, Nuke and AE users get to faff about with stock footage or fractal noise!). The fact that Hitfilm has a detailed Youtube export strengthens this--FxHome knows that the person using the product is most likely uploading to the web. Again, that's fine.
    BUT--as far as the question of Hitfilm as a PROFESSIONAL tool? Realistically, the chances of Hitfilm Ultimate becoming a studio powerhouse tool are very slim, indeed, but, OH! Look over here! There's this new Hitfilm Plug-In's product to bring most of the Hitfilm features to Avid, Vegas, AE, FCP, Vegas, etc etc etc... THAT is where FxHome is trying to transition into the "professional" market. Sony Pictures probably won't shift to Hitfilm. Sony Pictures may add the plug-ins to their existing AE setups!
    Oh, yes, as far as it being "illegal" to post a link, yes. It really is. If you are not the copyright holder of the work, you don't have the right to post it--yeah, YouTube may be chock-full of excerpts of movies and tv shows and complete posts of movie soundtracks that YouTube's staff haven't been removed, but that doesn't change the fact that if you're posting something you don't own the copyright for, you're legally stealing. And Google and YouTube make a lot of money promoting theft.
    (Did I say Google promotes theft?! Damn right I did. Go ahead and Google "warez" and "crackz" you'll find thousands of sites out there helping you steal movies, music and software. The Google search descriptions proudly say they're helping you download anything you want for free. Google would be in it's rights, and, is technically legally obligated, to remove these sites from search results--Google will say they can't vet everything on the net, but it's pretty easy to globally block anything with "crackz" and "warez" in it.)
    Finally, Null Unit himself may be working on a PROFESSIONAL project under a Non-Disclosure agreement, which would be a legal contract. Therefore, discussing things prohibited under the legal NDA would, by definition, be a criminal, illegal act. I also have active projects under NDA. Can't talk about 'em, WON'T talk about 'em. But I'm using Hitfilm on 'em.

• Appreciate it...but I'm looking at the renders posted and Hitfilm tutorials.
    But we need to SEE  the "Ultimate" best that HitFilm Is capable of. I point out Nuke, not to compare it, as in saying,  why can't HitFilm be Nuke or AE > But to push to see what YOU (others) think is it's best output. And if it's as good as you believe, we should see it should up in broadcast ..etc. I can't be more clear...Iam not comparing the programs.So, one more time.... I am trying to see what it is capable of with ACTUAL examples.
    While you may use it "professionally". You have a hard time finding examples also. HitFilm developers HAVE to get these and make showreels and shot breakdowns. All software makers do this. It looks bad for  "professional software" when they don't. Understand?
    Look at that Nuke reel, tell me what you see....all guns and lasers?  NO...lots of subtly...and highly professional rendering and shot breakdowns. (im not talking about the flashy VFX..and i have been saying over and over.)  HitFilm   developers need to listen this. The Achilles heel is they can't put together a show reel that looks like that. And THAT's IMPORTANT. Im not talking about all the blockbuster movies...i'm talking about the quality of the output.
    Even with the good examples you and Alex provided, can you put together a impressive show reel? I would love to see it. But as i mentioned above...until someone uses HitFilm in the pipeline, with all the best cameras, lighting direction ..etc  I guess it will take some more time until those examples show up. I haven't seen it yet. I'll keep looking though...
    Thanks Axel, this is some of the best i've seen so far. We need more of the professional productions to really see rendering capabilities. While these meet Saturday morning kids TV level of production...it's a good start. HitFilm developers need to push HARD to get  broadcast and theatrical "cred".
    I hope people can find more high level production usage examples. 
    Im sure you can see the output quality in the Nuke showreel link. (again..i don't necessarily mean the VFX) Of course it's tough to get a handle on the potential until someone uses HitFilm with all the best cameras, lighting direction ..etc  I guess it will take some more time until those examples show up.

As I was typing my long response above, you proved one of my points again--you're not comparing Hitfilm to PROFESSIONAL work--you're comparing Hitfilm to a $200 million dollar tentpole.
    The "Saturday Morning TV" quality you use dismissively is still a PROFESSIONAL level of work. They may not have had the budget of a Game of Thrones or a Godzilla, but you're still talking about a studio-funded, network-broadcast level of PROFESSIONAL work!

• edited July 2014
    Ummm..i didnt say anything...dismissively.  I said it's a good start and "Thanks Axel, this is some of the best i've seen so far." Are you seriously telling me these are quality i am pushing for. Cmon...you are missing the point. It's not about dismissing someones hard work...but finding the best possible work. Havent seen it yet. i am trying to find that. So bottom line, you are  saying Hitfilm will only be for hobbyists? Fine. I think it can be more....i'm still looking.
    (And i wasn't asking to see Null's work, he said he couldn't link it..legally. I jokingly said its not illegal to post a link...that was just a misunderstanding.)
    Appreciate the interesting response...but not "comparing"  to any..tentpole, (as in..why can't HitFilm do this. But the best examples are with the software being used ie:Nuke). I'm just looking for the BEST Hitfilm examples anyone has ever seen. I couldn't pin GREAT examples down. So..i asked.
    But can it reach "Nuke" level, i think we both agree, not likely. But i wasn't asking that. But lets SEE the BEST PROFESSIONAL (ooooh..caps) examples we can find.  PS...AE...is now about $50 a month on the cloud (along with all the other Adobe software) it's used by "professionals" ; ). Don't get crazy and start in about how
    Adobe is billion $ company blah blah...was just kidding.
  • Nuke - $4000+
    AE - $1000 (before CC)
    HF - $400
    You are not going to get a Nuke quality render from HF. I guarantee you can get something that rivals AE if they are both exported to the same format. AE has a lot more export options, including a lot more uncompressed options. I think that to ask for render quality close to Nuke, is like asking for RED Epic quality from a low level DSLR. HitFilm is consumer level software, no offense intended to FxHome. Unless HitFilm gets a major overhaul in the render/export arena, I doubt it'll ever rival $4000 software like Nuke. 
    I am not a professional, but if I was and had the opportunity to use Nuke or HitFilm, I'd definitely reach for Nuke. I understand that you aren't interested in comparing but rather seeing the "best" HitFilm has to offer. The shorts that Corridor Digital make, and VGHS seasons 1 and 2 are the best examples out there (imo) outside of tutorials. Rodypolis of http://rodypolis.com">Rodypolis.com has created a lot of great HitFilm content. 
    Other than these examples, I can't give you one. Professionals don't use HitFilm because HitFilm isn't geared at professionals. It is geared at independent and low budget filmmakers. 
  • As I see it, "Professionals" are people that do something as a profession, meaning they make their living off of it.  So a professional tool is something people use to make a living.  In that sense, Hitfilm is definitely a professional tool.
    In comparison to tools used on big budget hollywood features, it's totally different.  The FXhome team have made Hitfilm for a specific market, those who want to learn and experiment, as well as those who need fast turnaround times on their projects without a lot of interchange between programs.
    Keep looking for examples, but be realistic.  The people using this software aren't going to have a big 3d department feeding them lots of high-res models, or a matte painting team giving them sweeping vistas.  The scope of projects done with Hitfilm will be smaller.  So if you're trying to compare what would be found on a Hitfilm reel as opposed to a Nuke or AE reel, the results will feel drastically different in scope, even if the quality is high.
    You likely won't see Hitfilm used extensively in big studios because they already have other programs deeply integrated into their pipelines.  They have custom scripts and plugins built for their software, and have all sorts of base code level access to much of that software.  Hitfilm doesn't have the capability to integrate that much into a pipeline because they don't support that kind of scripting.  Big studios also have many people with specific jobs.  Hitfilm tries to fill the entire VFX and editing void.  In big studios, VFX artists shouldn't be able to come close to the edit, and the same goes with Editors messing with VFX.  It would cause too many headaches.
    There are lots of reasons why you likely won't find it in big studios, but that has nothing to do with it being professional or not.
    When you ask to see professional results, or the "Best" Hitfilm has to offer, realize that it won't look like the content big studios put out, simply because they have a lot more time and money to spend to make amazing visuals than most Hitfilm users.  Have realistic expectations and you will get a better view of what is out there.
    edited July 2014
    Here are a few excellent-looking films made with Hitfilm. Yes, these aren't "Full Films" from large, professional studios, but the quality of these clips certainly holds up to professional television standards, and a few shots are feature film quality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yT9Ej-G1gs
    I linked the filmmaker's thread in my first post above as an example of a Hitfilm professional.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wNCsar9HWA
    Yes, there's one debris element that looks a little off, but look at the shot about 30 seconds in as the drone floats in front of the camera reflecting what's behind it--including the fireball streaking away and impacting on a pillar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWW_obSXjSs
    I'm not a fan of the cathartic breakup movie, but this is gorgeous work.
    http://vimeo.com/88948972
    A VFX artist's reel. Yes, some of this is After Effects work, but this was featured on the Hitfilm Wall, which means Hitfilm was used.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/triem23/videos
    Finally, I'm tossing up my own YouTube channel--most of my own work up here is VFX tests done on my day off, and taking fewer than four hours to complete--I'm not tossing my own VFX tests into the mix, but I am noting my short film, InTension, used Hitfilm for a subtle use of VFX--fixing some continuity glitches with some candles that weren't lit or were candles had noticeably burned to a much lower position. Using Hitfilm I was able to quickly "light" candles in shots where candles had gone out or to reposition candles where they were obviously shorter. I also used Hitfilm for my opening and closing title text. I cannot directly link to the film as FxHome admins have already removed this film's link to the website over content (my short is NSFW), and I respect that decision.
    If you ask if I would be satisfied with the level of output generated by these shorts? Absolutely--at the micro-budget levels I work with when doing short film work, I would be happy to make anything that looked as good as the links here. Yes, if I had a large budget and a proper, compartmentalized crew (As Mandalorian noted, "real" productions aren't one-man bands. The modeller does not animate, the animator does not texture, the texture artist does not light, the lighting director does not composite, the compositor does not edit, and the editor does not sound mix.) Maybe I would expect better quality visuals, but that's assuming I am working with a a budget and production schedule that allows me the time to bring in several other artists (and computers and software licenses) to do stupid things like (true story) spend time modelling, tracking, compositing, then doing water fluid simulation for Carrie Anne Moss's nipples for the movie "Red Planet" because she chose to wear green pasties during a shower scene instead of wear prosthetic makeup like Darryl Hannah in splash.
    Incidentally, that Carrie Anne Moss example, above, took a month of work and cost over $50,000... All because some actress didn't want to wear $10 of rubber....
    Finally, yes, Adobe CC is $50/month for all things Adobe, which isn't too bad a value, but that's still a commitment of $600/year per computer/license. And that's a software RENTAL, not OWNERSHIP. If you cancel your Adobe CC subscription, your software stops working. It still doesn't compare to $400 Hitfilm which will work for as long as it's compatible with future OS's, and that I can install on three machines.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Interesting debate, chaps. :) Thanks for all the contributions so far.
    A lot has already been covered, and Triem, Null and Mandalorian have a pretty good handle on things.
    When we first developed HitFilm - the first version, back in pre-2011, we were designing it specifically for beginners, enthusiasts (I hesitate to use the word 'amateur', because it has negative connotations - when all it really means is that people aren't being paid for the work) and semi-professionals (people who DO get paid for projects, but who don't necessarily make a full-time living from it).
    The way we saw it, you had the low-end, sub-$100 video software which was cheap but depressingly limited. Ok for holiday movies, but that's about it. And then the only other thing you had was the high end software, starting with the likes of After Effects and going up to Nuke and beyond. At which point the cost is massive, for the independent, non-professional user. The choice was cheap and rubbish, or great but super expensive.
    So, what about everybody in-between? People who want more power than all those interchangeable sub-$100 products, but can't afford anything close to $1000? Even if they could afford AE, they'd then have to spend another $500-or-so just to equip it with essential features like a particle engine and 3D model import.
    That was our target. The interesting thing since HitFilm's release is the increasing number of comparisons being made to AE and other software. It's not a comparison we've ever drawn. We don't really see AE as a competitor, as it's got a different focus and market. That other people continually make the comparison is actually very flattering.
    Anyway, to get back to the main point: there are two things at play. Firstly, the overall level of production is very different. As Mandalorian points out, the overall level of production will be very different, even before you get to the VFX end. HitFilmer106434 mentions examples featuring the best cameras, lighting etc - and that's really a whole other thing, completely separate to the abilities of HitFilm itself.
    Equally, you have to be aware of how these showreels work the other way around. To take a prominent example from a few years ago, it's all very well having super awesome clips from Iron Man in your showreel. But is it clear that your software's actual contribution was adding a bit of glow to his chest power source thing? it's easy to be dazzled by clips from major blockbusters.
    The other thing is that most of the publicly posted stuff made in HitFilm is going to be from the amateur (again, I'm not using that to judge skill level) users. The professional users don't post their clips on YouTube, or shout about what they used - those shots will quietly end up in a TV show and nobody will have any idea what was used to make them.
    Triem's point about the plugins is a good one - the idea there was to make our tech available to everyone, regardless of their specific workflow requirements. We've already had some interesting chats with post houses regarding those - but, again, that's not stuff you're likely to hear about for a long while, and even if/when it does happen, negotiating rights to show off about it isn't always simple. So we'll see.
    Ultimately, it's early days still, in terms of post house penetration. We have a plan, and we have ideas, but it's a long game. Our main focus remains on enabling and empowering indie filmmakers, beginners, enthusiasts, semi-pros and all those other people stuck in-between.
  • Sorry for the delayed response. Was away for the day. I am going to read thru everything and watch all the examples. I want to thank everyone for finding these. I also want reiterate one more time that i am not comparing  HitFilm to anything else. I want to see what people consider the  BEST of the best of what HitFilm can output. Thus I wanted the most professional usage. I am not "dismissing" anyone's efforts. Well start somewhere, we all work hard to get the best results we can.

As I noted I've been using HitFilm since it first started  and I also used FXHome. For the price point, nothing beats HitFilm. But after a few years I wasn't seeing any of the finest HItFilm results, and searching for them was not easy. I hope you guys at HItFilm compile the absolute best you think HItfilm is capable of in one reel or maybe also a user voting situation, if we all want to be "democratic".  
    SEEING the absolute cutting edge of what HItFilim is capable is what i was after asking for the link. We all know what studios with millions at hand are able to produce, we also can see what something like Nuke considers some of the best usage of their product. My goal is to see that HitFilmm pushes the envelope and find what they consider the pinnacle of possibility from their product.

Thanks again for all the links. I'll respond more, and hopefully not upset to many folks ; )
    (Excuse any typos..been along day)

Two more I want to point out--there aren't YouTube videos for this, but there are templates to download:
    These are lower-third templates, but I point them out as examples of how Hitfilm can also do top-flight motion graphics as well as VFX:
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/4409-download-hitfilm-2-template-news-ticker/?hl=abidal#entry35902
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/4345-download-hitfilm-2-template-sky-high/?hl=abidal#entry35300

• http://youtu.be/hDlif8Km4S4

Never saw that one before its pretty sweet!

• Just to clarify, Corridor did not use HitFilm to make Dubstep Guns. However, pretty much everything in it could be done in HitFilm (mostly with atomic and the particle sim).
  • I was looking at it and I could see how easy it would be to do those effects in hitfilm, it would be much faster then ae
  • Well, speed is relative to your own expertise and what you're used to. I can use both HitFilm and AE but I'm more experienced with HitFilm, so I will work much faster in HitFilm given the same project requirements. Both products are pretty fast, though, if you know what you're doing.
  • edited August 2014

Hi. Yeah, your not reading my posts closely enough. I said that I use HF professionally and I cannot post links of my work because it would be illegal.
    If your not comparing AE and nuke to HF then why do you keep on comparing AE and nuke to HF?  
    HF renders great and works for professional use. If your not getting good results you should look into how your transcoding the footage from your camera and what format your transcoding it to for editing.
    I'm pretty sure the video below uses HF.
    http://youtu.be/hDlif8Km4S4

This video was made using after effects with the trapcode form plugin.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWkiaoWpM-8

• edited August 2014
    This video was made using after effects with the trapcode form plugin.

Yep, Simon already pointed out that it wasn't HF. I misremembered this tutorial which mentioned recreating the dub-step guns. I thought they were saying Atomic Particles was used the create the effect, but they were actually showing how you could recreate the effect with atomic particles. Atomic Particles can really easily do this effect, by the way.
    http://youtu.be/PrjJnC5PB00

• edited November 5

Define what is a "professional film or ad" ?  Someone that does weddings and being paid for it, technically makes them a professional. And I have seen some bad renderings and edits of wedding videos I have also seen some awesome ones as well...   

Because unless the studio or editors of any program or film that is on TV or big screen tell you what they used to create what they created you never going to know what the studio used. Because I have seen an advert on TV that was made in Windows Movie Maker... This was done years ago by a company here in NZ to prove a point.

I have seen movies where the effects and colour grading were in my eye bad... These were supposed to be professional, and even a video editor like "CyberLink PowerDirector" could have done a better job. (If the person that was using the editor knows what he is doing.) 

This is an age-old question in the music industry with programs like FL-Studio.  It is now a full-fledged DAW but people still ask the same question as above... I have been using it since 2003... and people still call it a toy yet many professional producers do actually use it...

HitFilm is powerful enough now to be taken seriously by any producer if they choose to use and learn it and it will only get better and more powerful.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment