Indiana Jones style moving map

Hi everyone,
Any thoughts on how to create the old animated Indiana Jones traveling map sequence? I'm sure it's easy and can be done but just need a little guidance on how. Thanks!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    Assuming you have photo editing software, make two graphics. One of the map, one of the "line of travel." Make these graphics very large, like 4096x4096 or larger. Make both graphics the same size so they line up correctly.
    Import to Hitfilm and link both graphics to a point. Now you can move the point to scroll around the map. Animate a mask to reveal the "line of travel" as the map scrolls.
    For the classic Indy look 2D layers are fine. If you want, you can make 3D layers instead, in which case, leave the graphics where they are and animate the camera instead.
  • Hey, that's awesome. Thank you for the response. I apologize that I'm still learning hitfilm, and although I'm getting up to speed, I havent messed with 3d camera work yet. You mentioned linking both graphics to a point. Can you clarify just a bit? Maybe you guys can create a video tutorial. There's a demand for this type of effect, as there are tutorials out there using after effects and imovie.

Thanks again, I've gotten good at chroma key masking and key framing so although this seems simple, I could use a little more help on the specifics. I look forward to gaining the knowledge and experience you guys have to unlock my full potential. Hitfilm is a great program and I'm a big fan.

Have a great day.

edited June 2014
    For connecting layers and other things to points, take a look at Axel's tutorial here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLhf5nnw-c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    And Simon's tutorial, here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFzE-mqz8Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Yeah, neither of these tutorials are going to be specifically about doing the "Indiana Jones Map," but the techniques are perfectly adaptable.
    Here's a quick text rundown:
    A "Point" in Hitfilm doesn't do anything on it's own. It's just a marker that you can attach other things to (in After Effects, they call "points" "nulls." (If you're ever looking at an AE tutorial and trying to "translate" it into Hitfilm, remember Null=Point.)
    A Point can be either 2D or 3D. Using Hitfilm's parenting system you can link layers, objects and particle emitters to points to manipulate multiple things at the same time--as an example, let's say I am creating a deep space scene where a spaceship is flying by a planet. I would created 3D points for the spaceship, planet and sun. Obviously, i would link the planet to it's point and the ship to it's point... but, for the sun I need TWO things; I need a 3D light to illuminate the planet and spaceship, and I need a lens flare so i have something bright and glowing where the sun is. By linking the 3D light and the lens flare effect to the same point, if I decide I want my sun in a different location, I can shift both the actual light and the lens flare around at the same time by just dragging the point around.
    Definitely watch both these tutorials--understanding connecting things to points (or points to points) is a core concept in the Hitfilm workflow.
  • Thank you very much, I appreciate the response. :)
    No problem--I also made a quick demo for you: The demo took 20 minutes to build from start to finish, including downloading the map source and creating the path overlay--but I am at a coffee shop right now with terrible upload speed and it's taking longer to upload a (2MB) file than it did to create two animations! I'll put the upload link here as soon as it's up.
    I did a quick 2D and a quick 3D for you to tear apart.
  • That means a lot to me, thanks.
    edited June 2014
    Np--I've never actually done that style of map myself, so I figured I'd whip this up quick and sloppy as a test for myself.
    So, what you're looking at is a random download of a map of Middle Earth and a travel path that's (roughly) Frodo's journey with the Ring. The "Frodo Path" PNG was created in Photoshop by just drawing a line on a new layer and saving it as a PNG file. (Create your overlays as PNG files--PNG files have transparency, JPGs don't. If I'd made that as a JPG I'd have to use a blend mode or a key effect to isolate the line.
    Take a look at the Path layer--it's got a mask on it that's animated to reveal the line as we move. The mask keyframes are pretty sloppy and there's a couple of bits that don't draw on correctly, but, again, from start (web search for map) to end (finishing 3D animation) I only spent about 20 minutes on this, so, if I took another 5-10 minutes or so to really refine my mask, this would actually look really nice!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwaxhxb6zl5s2r2/Travel%20Map%20Demo.zip
    Oh, I compressed this as a ZIP file--I made an assumption you're on PC, which has WINZIP built in--if you're Mac, you might have to google software to extract a ZIP. I should have asked.
    I created the 2D version first, duplicated that, the did the 3D version.
    EDIT I also did one other change--I moved the "Path" layer 10 units forward in Z-space and added a 3D extrusion effect with a depth of 10--you can see how that turns my travel path into a travel "wall."
    Put this .HFP file in the same folder where you put the other version--this link is just the Hitfilm project and assumes you have the media from the other link.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/neysyggxqj76yc1/Travel%20Map%20Extrude%20Demo.hfp
  • Michael, can I ask for your email, so I can PM you? Thanks.

Ben
    Actually, if you go to your profile on this site and look under "messages" I opened a PM thread with you last night.

Sign in to comment