DOF in Hitfilm

Hello Everybody!
Could anybody help me and tell how to apply DOF effect to rendered frames in the Hitfilm? Sure, I have rendered depth buffer frames for it. 

Comments

• Currently there's no way to add DoF as a post-processing effect, sorry. HitFilm's 3D cameras do have depth of field, of course.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    Wait, by depth buffer frames, I assume you have a black and white render. Now, if it's set up where white is close to camera and black is far from camera, this does nothing for you.
    If white is "in focus" and black is "out of focus" you might be able to move the depth render into a composite shot and invert it, then bring this as an embedded comp into your main animation, create a grade layer, apply a Set Matte (luma) using the embedded depth map as a source, then a blur.
    But this only works if your depth mask pass is rendering the focal plane.
  • Wait, by depth buffer frames, I assume you have a black and white render. Now, if it's set up where white is close to camera and black is far from camera, this does nothing for you.
    If white is "in focus" and black is "out of focus" you might be able to move the depth render into a composite shot and invert it, then bring this as an embedded comp into your main animation, create a grade layer, apply a Set Matte (luma) using the embedded depth map as a source, then a blur.

and to fine tune where you want the blur effect you can use a exposure effect inside the comp with your depth pass

Or Brightness/Contrast, Blur, Sharpen, Erode Matte... All kinds of fun ways to twiddle masks. My favorite is curves. Hitfilm doesn't have those. It's the #1 thing on my wishlist.
  • Or Brightness/Contrast, Blur, Sharpen, Erode Matte... All kinds of fun ways to twiddle masks. My favorite is curves. Hitfilm doesn't have those. It's the #1 thing on my wishlist.

What do you mean by curves?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/photoshop-curves.htm
    I refer to the "Color Curves" tool found in GIMP, Photoshop, After Effects, Sony Vegas, etc, etc.
    Color Curves are THE most powerful tool to adjust exposure, contrast and color balance in an image. Period.
  • Is thi

Wait, by depth buffer frames, I assume you have a black and white render. Now, if it's set up where white is close to camera and black is far from camera, this does nothing for you.

Is this doable with the express version?

Yes, if you have a proper depth render pass from a 3D modelling program, you can import that into Express, and use the set matte effect to control a blur filter to focus blurs to fake depth of field in post. No, Hitfilm express does not contain any methods of generating a depth render itself (neither does Ultimate). I believe Express does have the same DOF for it's internal camera as Ultimate, but that would be for generating dof blur inside a composition directly, and not adding dof blur to prerendered material.
  • I asked because I can't find this Set Matte (luma) anywhere in express
    The effect is found in the "KEYING" group of the effects panel. Might be called Luminance Key. If not, lookfor Set Matte. In Set Matte there's an option do set the type of Matte to Luma.
  • Set matte is only found in Ultimate, Triem.
    Yeah, I found that out tonight when I decided I would go ahead and grab Express--figured I would take advantage of that myself, so I can see the differences between the two versions for myself, and (hopefully) not give Express users incorrect advice.

Sign in to comment