Project recovery (a long shot)

Hi everyone.

This is probably a long shot, but I figure no harm in asking.

Long story short, a project file that had been stored on an external HDD was lost.

I had used that project file on my computer, reading and writing to the HDD. 

Is there any chance that any of the project file might be recoverable from any of the cache, temp, proxy or any of the other program files in the C: drive? I can see Hitfilm program folders in AppData and the like that have stuff in them. 

The HFP file I had was almost entirely a comp, with a total of three images and one audio file. The assets I still have. It's just the comp I'm trying to recover.

I imagine the answer to this is no and "you should've backed up your files, you moron." But I figured I'd ask just in case. 

Comments

• Did you check HitFilm's cache? It's a folder located, usually, somewhere like: C:\Users\Your Computer's Name\AppData\Local\FXHOME\HitFilm Pro 2017\cache\Media\Files

• edited November 8

@AlbusViaFilms The only thing that could help you would be the auto save folder, located by default in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\FXHOME\HitFilm Pro 2017\AutoSave

Unfortunately none of the cache folders will help you because what is stored in there is only data to speed up HitFilm, if the project file is lost it becomes useless. In fact, files that haven't been used for a long time (eg belonging to an old project that you haven't opened for a while) will get automatically deleted to save disk space.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you have a proxy of the project, you could send it to us to re-encode to a format you can use, but that wouldn't allow you to edit your original project.

• Ha! Well, I knew there was something in there somewhere. Thanks, @CedricBonnier

• @DLKeur @CedricBonnier

I will check the autosave folder. 

By the proxy method - so that would just export the project into a video as it was proxied? Fortunately I already exported everything, so I have the output, it's just the project file I am trying to recover (it's for a station ident - I was hoping to be able to modify the file whenever I needed to customise it for seasonal events or to change the copyright year). 

• Ah, alas. The file is empty :( I suppose it cleared it all out as it's been about a week since I opened the file. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment