GoPro: What is the best version for the money?

So I think I heard that the newest one ( GoPro hero 6) is not very good, but mainly asking those who own a GoPro, which one you would recommend? Budget is about $200 and hoping to get a good deal when black Friday comes, 4k would be nice, but 1080p would be okay as well, but I have no clue about GoPro's so please, I want to hear what you all have to say

p.s. it is a Christmas gift (one that I will probably use as well ;)

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

With a budget of $200 I would grab a Yi 4k instead of a GoPro and try some of the mods.

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Sports-Action-Video-Camera/dp/B01FU9ZIMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ItSYlUg3LA

Usually modding involves adding a file with your custom parameters but there are phone apps that let you tweak pretty much everything and manage any scripts you want to use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsymptote.yipro

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

For $200 your best GoPro option is a used/refurbished Hero 4. You want 4k. The 3 shot 4k at 15 fps. The 5 and 6 will be too expensive. The Session is pretty terrible.

Or, do what @Aladdin4d said. 

• @Triem23 I will look around for a GoPro hero 4, thanks, and if not I will research on what you said @Aladdin4d

• @HIS_Films I been reaching the clone market for go-pro and what Alladin is saying is a pretty decent, if you get the right one they even off pretty good high frame rate capture at 1080p (120fps) and stabilization in camera.

• @Andy001z thanks for the information!

Probably worth mentioning the Yi camera also ships with a licensed version of Microsoft's Hyperlapse Pro.

• oooh nice!

• The best GoPro is a Yi anyway. ;)

• What about the quality though, I heard of the Yi's breaking a lot, they are cheaply made, and I saw a comparison of a Yi vs a Gopro, and the gopro's quality was better.

• I have a Yi 4K+. Its build quality seems to be quite good; it's been fine in my experience, and it has a glass lens rather than a GoPro-style plastic one.

@HIS_Films There really isn't a problem with the build quality of the Yi cameras. There was when the different models were first released, the supply couldn't keep up with demand, but those quality issues are pretty much taken care of now. Just be sure to buy from a reputable dealer because there are counterfeit Yi cameras out there.

Most, if not all, of the image quality comparisons were done with early versions of the firmware and there's been plenty of firmware updates to improve quality and add new features. On top of that, there's the ability to mod. The mods are non-destructive soft mods that consist of a script file on the memory card. The scripts can modify all kinds of things to improve quality like in the video I posted. Get rid of the file and your camera is back to stock.

It's more expensive but there's the Yi 4k+ at around $330-$340 and reviewers have been saying it's better than a GoPro not to mention Yi beat GoPro to recording 4k @60 fps! You might luck into a good Black Friday deal on one.

• @Aladdin4D there's no doubt... as far as image quality goes, even without any mods, the Yi 4K+  is better than a Hero5. I haven't been able to compare with the more recent Hero6.

• edited November 9

Okay, you all might have convinced me! Is there a good pack That I can purchase? Right now I am looking at this one, and it is a pretty good price! And also, do I have purchase a charger, because it does not look like it does come with any accessories. I guess that is why I am asking for a pack/kit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1255908-REG/yi_technology_yac4kb_4k_action_camera_black.html

• Mine came with a USB-C to USB cable that charges it. I think Yi offers some package deals, but I went with just the camera by itself.

• okay, great I will look around.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment