Hitfilm Express 2017 immediately crashes on start up

Hi, 

Iv installed Hitfilm Express 2017 onto my Pc but when i open the program it crashes straight away and stops working. It literally trys to open up and then stops. Iv tried uninstalling and re installing it 3 times including re downloading it from Hitfilm website/account but error still occurs! Can anyone point me into the right direction on how to solve this?

My Pc specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premuim
Processor:  AMD 6300 Six Core Processor 3.50GHz
Installed RAM: 16GB
System Type: 64-Bit

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited October 30

Which GPU?   Next question will be are your GPU drivers up to date?

From system requirements listed here: https://hitfilm.com/express/specs :

Graphics processor with at least 512 MB video memory.
    2GB or more recommended for 4K UHD.
    Earliest graphics cards HitFilm supports:

• NVIDIA GeForce 9 Series (2008)
    • AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series (2009)
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000 (GT2) (2012)
  • I have an AMD Radeon R7 200 series. I performed a driver update and said it was all up to date. Is there any more info you need to try solve this problem?

thanks

Scott

• edited October 31

So your driver should be at least Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2, And a r7 200 series means you have at least 1GB of VRAM...

Are you sure your monitor is plugged to your GPU? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

What Antivirus are you running? Is it an Alienware or Dell?

• Ill double check to see if the monitor is plugged to my GPU and get back to you 'Emecorp'.  Im not the greatest with PCs haha. I know i have 2 monitor outs behind pc.

'Triem23' - Im using F-Secure SAFE.... Can antivirus make errors on certain programs?

• Hey... it has happend haha. Check also about the Alienware or Dell, I think there is a bug or something with those brands. 

Otherwise, contact support. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Yeah, certain Antivirus programs can cause issues. As one example, some Antivirus programs inspect every file in real time every time they are read. For things like productivity files, no big deal. For digital video editing that's a huge bottleneck. 

Alienware and Dell machines have a known issue covered here. https://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/78

• edited November 2

Emecorp - My monitor is connected to my GPU... I done a little research after your questions and learnt some simple stuff about my pc I had no idea about haha.  

Triem23 - My pc isnt Alienware or dell. Its Vanquish or something (one that I bought new online) I didn’t realise anti virus programs caused bigger issues to video editing stuff as I’m new to it all but it does make sense.

The crashing problem has been sorted (for now haha) it turns out my graphics card drivers were actually still out of date, even after I let windows do an auto update for the drivers. I discovered where to find the driver dates and it showed 2013... pretty shocked to be honest how old they were lol. Thanks Emecorp for showing me what the lastest driver should be... I manually downloaded it and installed it no problem and my antivirus and firewall did flag up a few things after installing Hitfilm, thanks Triem23 for pointing that stuff out. Thanks for your help too stargazer54 

Scott 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment