Very Slow Performance in HitFilm 4 Pro

edited October 22 in Pro Support

Hi! I use HitFilm 4 Pro for a lot of 3D compositing and animating, and my performance seems to be very, very slow compared to what I'd expect given the specs of my PC. I can barely composite without unusable stuttering and freezing when more than a few 3D layers and a light are added. If anyone has any advice, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Specs:

CPU: i7 4770

RAM: 32 GB DDR3

GPU: GTX 1080

Comments

• Some information about exactly what you are doing might help. Specifically what type of media. A full text MediaInfo report would help. Also, are you compositing multiple layers of media. Possibly what specific effects are being used.

If I had to guess your media is probably AVC media with a high decode overhead. Most AVC media tends to be this. Hitfilm is not so quick in this regard (basic timeline playback) so a transcode to lower overhead media often makes a dramatic difference. Even AVC can be lower overhead, although not as much as most other formats.

Some reference material on that particular subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng&list=PLgfiM46Y0Ue0sk4ACtkEy9TPWO6JbgD79&index=8

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42349/transcoding-for-better-performance-and-easier-editing

• edited October 22

Thanks, @NormanPCN:

I am not using any footage within the composite shots. I am only using 3D models, particle simulators, lights, images, planes and grades. I am basically constructing scenes out of images and models in 3D space with lighting and camera grades. Even at quarter preview and toggling all render settings off (lights, motion blur, etc,) I stutter to a large degree. Also, my composite shots are 1080p 30 FPS.

• @Portizoa is your graphics card up to date and have you installed the recent update to hitfilm?

• Andersen01498 My graphics drivers are up to date. I am using HitFilm 4 Pro, however.

• @Portizoa My recommendation is to get in touch with the support team they will help you out. 

• edited October 22

@Portizoa "I am only using 3D models, particle simulators, lights, images, planes and grades"

Still not saying a lot.

3D models could be anything from easy to hideous. For example. How many modes and how detailed/complex is the geometry of the models.

Particle simulator. Again this runs the range from easy to hideous.

Lights. A lot of this overhead comes in with cast shadows. Point lights have a much higher shadow computation overhead.

I have almost the same machine as you. A flat 4Ghz 4770k, GTX 1080. 16GB ram, Windows 10.

I've not done a lot with 3D models. I just checked my X-wing attack shot and with everything on (viewer ops) (except motion blur), and full, it plays close to perfectly smoothly. 1080p30. You can see brief micro hiccups. It has three 3D model X-wing 'hero' ships. Those are sent through the particle simulator to create a fleet (20ish). There is a death star and a couple of planets using fractal noise and the sphere effect (2048x2048). A star field (1080) created by atomic particles and sent through an environment map.

When I first did this project I had an AMD 7950 GPU. I had to do a bunch of ram preview with shadows turned off. When I got a 980 shadows could remain on if my memory serves me. I only just tested the project with the 1080. I've only had it for 2-3 weeks.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment