Is this a good video card?

Best Buy is selling this card as a clearance and I wanted some input as to whether it would be a good card for HitFilm. My pc is an i5 with 16gb memory and 1tb hd and 480gb ssd. this card is as follows:

• Powered by the AMD Radeon RX 550 graphics processing unit (GPU)
  • 4GB GDDR5 (128-bit) on-board memory
  • PCI Express 3.0 x16 interface, low profile
  • AMD Eyefinity technology
  • OpenCL, Mantle, DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan support
  • DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs
  • AMD TrueAudio technology

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

In general the RX 550 is the lowest end of the 2017 AMD lineup. It runs at a little under half the speed of my three-year old 980m. The 980m is a laptop card running at about the same speed as a five year old desktop Nvidia 770.

So, by current standards the RX 550 isn't a speed demon.

It WILL absolutely run Hitfilm. 

So, the two real questions are, what is your current card and how much is Best Buy asking? That will let us figure out roughly what performance increase you might expect for your money. 

• Triem23, Hi Mike,

Currently I have the onboard video which is an Intel HD 530. Best Buy is asking $78 for the new card.

Thanks

• Anybody out there?

• We all need one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=gtx 1080 ti&Submit=ENE

The more GPU the better for HF.

• Stargazer54,

Holy c**p, twice the price of a good desktop computer. I guess I will never be able to use HF to the fullest extent, unless Santa is real.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Mmmmm $375 or so is an entry level computer, not a "good" computer.

That's an addition to the below post, which I guess I forgot to send. 

Going of benchmarks for a rough estimate, an Rx 550 is about 180% of the speed of the hd 530. The Rx 560 is about $100 and is 320% of the speed of the hd 530. The extra money for the rx 560 would be well spent. About 50% more expensive than the Rx 550, but twice the speed.

The Rx 570 and 580 are faster yet, but the Rx 560 is the sweet spot card for power/price ratio. 

• @DataDesign ; Yes, when you talk about paying for GPU performance you are really spending about the same amount (or more) on your GPU as you did for all the other components in your system case.

For good reason.  In HF (and computer graphics in general) the heart of your system is the GPU.   HF is literally real time rendering for preview.     The same as you experience with high end games.  All the textures, lights, movement, and 3D models are calculated in real time in most games.   HF relies heavily on the same tech. 

• edited October 30

@Triem23; @Stargazer54:

Thanks, helps a lot.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment