JSBarrett's Stuff – HitFilm Channel Tutorial: LEGO looks (11/9/17)

Comments

• In that case, if you are (slightly worryingly ;) ) taking any notice of anything I say: The newer thumbnail is just fine by me.

You might get comments saying "But they're sunbursts!", which is fine: viewer engagement and all that, and the most important thing is: Great Tutorial, well made for anyone wanting to make that...shape. :)

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Anatomy of a Starburst:

CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, APPLE JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, GELATIN, FOOD STARCH-MODIFIED, CITRIC ACID, LESS THAN 1.5% - PECTIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, COLORING (RED 40, YELLOW 5). GLUTEN-FREE.

• Someone should make a film about a group of misfits who risk their lives to protect the waters around Ireland. I may have a title for it...

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited June 27

Nothing new under the sun . . . check out Local Hero (circa 1983) with Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert (Animal House).   Pretty much your story line.  And one of my favorite films.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085859/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_74

• You do realize my "idea" was just a play on words from Guardians of the Galaxy, right?

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

Sorry,  I completely missed the connection there.  But your premise is spot on for Local Hero.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

That's a TERRIBLE pun! 

• The latest quick tip is up!

https://youtu.be/5jzC6aEjmd4

• Awesome!
  • I am unable to send private messages to anyone anymore, and I am unable to create new topics. And the message box is only 1 line long now as well, seems to have shrunk? I keep getting this message: Whoops! You don't have permission to do that. Anyone else experience this?
  • Nope. Have you tried logging out and back in?

• Sorry @jsbarrett to hijack your thread with this, I am not able to even log out from google chrome and it's all messed up.

So I logged into here using Firefox and now it's normal.

Something with google chrome it seems.

Cheers!

• Nailed it! <lip smack!> :D

• When I was looking at the errr...pinwheel starburst video I wondered if that could be rotated in a 360 degree range so that it was a spinning floor or ceiling.

Our next horrifying concept in production is a Lego metal band with music videos and all. The spinning thing would possibly be synced with the mini-figure head spinning.

• Absolutely! Just make a comp that has the star-/sunburst on its own, embed it into your main comp, then make that layer 3D.  Rotate it 90 degrees on the X axis, place it as needed for floor or ceiling, then keyframe rotation on the Z axis to make it spin.

• @jsbarrett - I like your work. Hope to see more. And thank you for the zooming tutorial. That may be just the thing I need for a project I'm working on now. I'll run it by the director later. If not that effect exactly, something similar would look really good.  

*subscribed  ;^)       

• Thanks, @StormyKnight !

I deeply appreciate everyone's support and input.  I've got a growing list of topics for future videos, but the big challenge is settling on a schedule, as I do have to balance this around my primary work.  For now I'm leaning toward releasing a new video every other Friday.  Look for the next one on July 14th!

• Well, tomorrow isn't happening. I'd started to work on it this morning, but then life unexpected jumped up and threw me a curveball (a good one).  There's a slim chance I can work on it on Saturday.  If not, it won't happen 'til the end of the month.  Not like there's been a huge clamor for more, but I did announce the schedule, which apparently triggered a Murphy's Law chain of events.  *sigh* When will I learn?  If you want a schedule to work, don't post it!

Lol. I announced a weekly schedule which I've not been able to keep. Damn that life. 

• The latest HitFilm Quick Tip is up!  This one's short and sweet, with a simple tip for both beginners and pros alike.

https://youtu.be/4P5bZdjlSwg

• "Animate in Layers like an onion...or an ogre" :D Lol

Nice! I love your Hitfilm quick tips! They are helpful!

You are getting better with the thumbnails!

Subed!

• Ooh, loving the production values...and the thumbnail...and the tip! :)

• I like that that tagline it's clever! oh and the tutorial was useful also.

That's really well put together! Also a nice breakdown on the importance of multi point rigs. 

• Thanks gang!  Glad these are useful (and mildly entertaining). Unfortunately I won't be able to begin actively working on the next Quick Tip for a few weeks due to my work schedule, but I'm really looking forward to diving into it.

• OliThompsonOliThompson Staff
    edited August 7

@jsbarrett I'm really enjoying all these quick tips you put together! Great work :)

• The next HitFilm Quick Tip video is up!  This one promises to be a real page-turner... ;)

https://youtu.be/QedrHD9zp_4

Remember when I said there would be a new Quick Tip every other week?  Yeah, right.   Even without extended work trips, it's probably more realistic to shoot for one of these per month.  (Now watch me get so busy that even monthly is too frequent!)

• Worth the wait. :)

That's a great one! I never would have thought of it. I noticed in the calendar page version you kind of got bonus pages flying away with the same build. 

Don't stress on schedule. I'd hoped to do a Hit-U every week (HAHAHA!... no), and the only way to do that would be to create crap filler. 

Sign in to comment