RAM Preview Rendering

Why is it that if I render something for about 2 seconds and then try to render a different part of the video, it only renders for the same amount of time?

Comments

• @Eliezerlow312  Are you remembering to change the IN & Out points to the different area of the video?  In case you haven't seen it, this video of @Triem23 's covers exporting settings if it might help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMGpxHBKq9E

• @tddavis This video isn't exactly answering my question.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Elie well, it is, but there's so much in that video you might not have identified the 45 seconds that apply out of the half hour. 

On Export, you can set area to "Work Area" which is defined by In/Out points. If you are rendering a small excerpt of a timeline, you need to set the In/Out points correctly, then use "Work Area" for Export. 

To render an entire timeline use "Content Area" for the Editor, or "Entire Timeline" for Composite Shot. 

I assume you're in 4 Express. 

• @Triem23 Let me rephrase myself, when I say render, I mean the preview button on the composite shot. When I export something, it comes out just fine.

Ah. Well, again, that could have to do with the In/Out point settings, or it could have to do with the amount of RAM you have set aside for RAM preview.

How much RAM does your computer have and how much RAM is allocated in the Options Menu?

If you're not familiar with the Options Menu, that's covered at 3:50 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzUv7jrX8pc&t=25s

• @Triem23 I have 4gbs of ram in my computer (soon to be more). I looked at the amount of ram I have allocated for Hitfilm and it said 400 mbs, so I switched it up to 1000. Will that be enough? 

Also random question. My friend has a Mac and he is able to have H4E and Hitfilm Pro open yet if I try to do that it says "Only one instance of hitfilm is allowed open".

Well, if you only have 4GB of RAM, then 1GB is probably  the most you can allocate to RAM preview. That's still only 5 or 6 seconds at most, but nothing you can do without upgrading your system. 

To my knowledge Hitfilm shouldn't be able to open multiple instances on a Mac. You certainly can't on PC, and, to be blunt, even if you could it would be a mistake on your system. That 4GB of ram is a bit of a killer. 

• Don't forget that you can quadruple (4x) the time length of your ram preview by switching the viewer to "half" from "full". Half resolution is 4x less data. When you have limited ram, keep that in mind.

Sign in to comment