[ANSWERED] How do you get your free license for HitFilm Express?

edited January 5 in Express Support

Hi, I've read in a few places this is supposed to be free, but not at all.  I get prompted for a serial number, basically it doesn't let me export , when I do this I get:

"Don't worry, you can unlock all your express options for FREE by activating."

"Click here to activate"

Clicking here now brings up a dialog "Hitfilm 4 Express" Activate & Unlock which - after logging in - now expects a serial to continue.

So I back out of this and choose the next option down "Get a free license" - sounds reasonable - except this is a link to your homepage.  Was this deliberate and did you never intend to let people use it for free?

Comments

• edited May 2016

Did you check your email?  ;)

• edited May 2016

Yes, nothing there so far as I can see, only email I have from hitfilm.com is:

Welcome to the HitFilm community. You've taken your first step into a larger world.
    We need to confirm your email address so that we can finish setting up your account. Click the link below to start exploring the community:
    COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
    We never share your details with third parties and we'll only send you HitFilm newsletters if you asked for them!

Which I have already clicked to activate.

Anything else I should check?

After going through the documentation I've found where the problems is - it could be that emails are simply not being sent out, can someone check this? 

According to this help here: http://hitfilm.com/reference/hitfilm-4-express/index.html?installation_activation.htm

It says:

As Express is free to use, the first thing to do is activate your serial code, which you should have received when you signed up.

No serial code has been received, what do?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited May 2016

Go to the Menu box, top right of this page and select "Account." That takes you to a page showing your current software activations and serial numbers. 

Also, check the Spam folders of your email. 

• I believe activating with the serial is only available offline? For online it should just prompt you to login when you launch the application.

• Hi Roger,

Sorry, the messaging isn't clear in our emails here, will sort that out.

Most people don't actually need a serial code, because when you activate with your username and password "online", we just look up the serial code from your account. Hence we stopped showing the serial code up front, as it only seemed to confuse people.

The unfortunate side-effect is that if you do need a serial code, we've never told you where it is. As Triem23 says, you can find those in your Account.

Please ensure that you are logged into the same account (same email address) as you used when initially claiming Express.

I hope this helps.

• CNKCNK
    edited May 2016

If it's a big issue behind the scenes, then woudln't it be possible to have a notifaction forced on the user when launching the application, perhaps it's slightly bugged? When I launched 4 Express I was prompted to login if I wanted to activate the product, as it should be.

@DanielGWood

• @KevinTheFilmmaker no, that's how it should work - everything is optimised for activating online using your login details (and no serial). We just need to adjust the system slightly so it makes it simpler to find your serial if you actually do need it.

• @DanielGWood

Thanks for responding to my question. :)

• Most welcome Kevin.

We find with activation (as well as most things actually) that users often have clearer insights than we do in terms of what is easy to use and makes sense. As we're developing and testing these things all the time, we get a little blind to the obvious, or have learned too many shortcuts for doing things. So what I'm saying is, always keep the feedback coming and ask questions!

@DanielGWood at one time the Quicktime warning popped up every boot of Hitfilm. Perhaps you just need to make the registration pop-up every boot as long as the software is in Demo mode. 

That will certainly make it easy to find. 

Another suggestion is replacing the main home page with "Demo Mode, click here to activate." This basically blocks web content while in Demo mode, but, again, it's easy to find. 

• @Triem23 the activation dialog should already be popping up every time you open HitFilm (if it isn't activated that is!).

Some kind of additional obvious message on the home screen is an interesting idea, have made a note of that.

• I still can't activate my software, i've looked at my acconut and it said that i've not registered any software yet, by when i go to activate it requires a serial code.

Someone help please

• Same here. No serial for activation.. Checked the Account section and e-mail (also in spam) but no serial activation found. I tried offline activation and there's a link to open in web browser and there's some kind of a code below the " enter serial code" then name of the computer but still no serial code activation found. :(

•  Are you guys sure you didn't download HitFilm 4 Pro Demo?

You want HitFilm 4 Express, then you'll be able to activate it.

That's the only thing I can think of, unless Staff says that the pop up is bugged, which doesn't appear to be the case.

Your software is tied to the email account used to download it. Did you use the same email to download as to create your forum profile?

• edited May 2016

yes. as you can see my profile icon is attached to my e-mail that I used every forum. It also appeared in Hitfilmexpress 4 software activation.

• CNKCNK
    edited May 2016

Press the Activate Now button you see, and it should prompt you to login, and it should activate.

Ignore above.

Well that's strange.

Delete HitFilm from your computer entirely, save projects if you have any, and reinstall it.

• It says please enter serial code.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator

Where did you get the installer from? If you go through the process at hitfilm.com/express you'll have a license registered to your account.

• From menu and then hitfilm 4 express and then there's a link below " Get hitfilm 4 express for free" then once I clicked it then there's no link on where to download it.  So I go to Support ->clicked the hitfilm 4 express ->install -> then download windows 64 bit installer.  That's where I got the installer.

• Does it say "hitfilms" - or is that a compression artefact?

• Just download Hitfilm from this page, it's a lot faster way. Do not waste your time to find where are download links and for situations which are not important.

http://hitfilm.com/software-update/hitfilm-4-express

• edited May 2016

It's the same file name. This is where I got the installer. But still it needs a serial code to activate.

https://hitfilm.com/software-install/hitfilm-4-express

• CNKCNK
    edited May 2016

The name for your current account and your account shown in the image above, are different. How?

• It's the same I just put the computer name necrofujitsu.

• Oh I see. Well I'm out of Ideas. I don't know the process better than FXHome.

• edited May 2016

This is your offline activation but still need a serial activation. That's where I named my computer there. I hope I got a serial code soon.  Thank you very much for your replies. Maybe there's a bug that's why it's not activating.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited May 2016

To copy my response from a similar discussion, it looks like you've got an AdBlocker in your browser, which removed some of the key functionality of the main Express web page and therefore made the process considerably more confusing! Unfortunately we don't have any control over what 3rd party plugins do to webpages, and if they remove some parts it's difficult to then provide a smooth experience.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment