PXL 2000 and other tutorials

So I have HitFilm4Pro, and since there are so many tutorials for composite work for AE with project files. However, sometimes certain things don't translate. I did a forum search for AE to HF transitioning for those that have come over from AE or are familar, but no luck. (I'll bet someone has it and much like ones car keys will have been on the forum somewhere).

Below is the PXL-2000 effect simulation for AE and I cannot figure out how to do this in HF4. While scaling footage is easy and blur works okay. But I'm unfamiliar with where to clamp the blacks, where I can edit the dynamic range, and substitutions or HF effect name  for some of the effects mentioned for the AE. Thanks, Joe PXL-2000 - For those who can't fine one and wish to do it in post Recipe: Scale your footage to fit a 540 x 405 composition at 15 frames per second. (This is exactly 75% of a full 720 x 540 NTSC frame.) 2. Reduce the saturation to 0. 3. Apply a Gaussian blur with a radius of 1.5 pixels. 4. Sharpen the image 30%. 5. Clamp the black point to about 5% and the white point to about 95%. 6. Compress the dynamic range of the entire image by about 1.2 to 1. 7. Posterize to 90 steps. 8. Add a lag effect; this should add a small proportion of the three previous frames to each frame, giving slight trails and motion artifacting. 9. If desired, add a scanline or “TV” effect. 10. Clamp the white and black points again. 11. Apply a second 1.5-pixel Gaussian blur. 12. Expand your composition to 720 x 540, leaving a large black border around the frame. 13. If necessary, scale your finished composition to meet your output requirements (720 x 480 for an NTSC DVD, for example).-3

Comments

• Oh, wow, it's been forever since I even thought about the PXL-2000!

On my phone now. Shortly I will be on a PC and can go after these questions. Many of the answers are "same stuff different name." A couple of them might become workarounds, but it's not too difficult a translation. 

•  A toy camera??   I searched the Tube for examples...interesting look for sure.

My Trash 80 used cassette for storage too. Same time frame. Learn sumpin new everyday from this forum.

• Here we go...

1) 540x405? The resolution of a PXL-2000 is 120x90. Either way, create a Composite Shot and set dimensions to either your 540x405 or 120x90. Use the Transform controls for the video layer to scale it down to size.

2) There are multiple ways to reduce saturation to 0. You can use the Tint effect, set colors to black and white and turn up amount to 100%. You can use the Hue, Saturation, Lightness effect, the Custom Grey effect, or Hue Colorize. Custom Grey is easiest.

3 and 4) Hitfilm has a Sharpen effect. For the "Gaussian Blur," just use Hitfilm's standard Blur with 2 iterations.

5) You can clamp blacks and whites with Crush Blacks and Whites, Curves or Levels Histogram. Crush Blacks and Whites is probably easiest.

6) You can play with dynamic range using Levels Histogram, Curves, Gamma and Brightness & Contrast. Brightness & Contrast is probably easiest.

7) Hitfilm has a Posterize effect.

8) Hitfilm has a "Motion Trails" effect (set frame radius to 3) or an Echo (Temporal) effect. Motion Trails is easier.

9) Hitfilm has a Scan Lines filter that just does the lines or a full TV Damage filter if you want to go crazy.

10) see 5, above

11) see 4, above.

12 and 13) once this is done, create a new composite shot at your final resolution. Drag in the first Composite Shot as a media clip (In Hitfilm, this is "Embedding," which is like "Precomping" in AE or "Nesting" in other programs) and scale it up!

The Effects panel has a search bar at the top, so if you just start typing the the effect names given above, they'll pop right up for you.

Hope this helps and thanks for the memories! A PXL-2000 has a great look, and a friend of mine thinks he actually may have one buried in storage.

• 9. I found Derez to be the best option, you can set the resolution and leave the image alone and gets you away from needing a level adjustment, but a blur is in order.

Though you have to reference PXL2k footage, some is soft focused, other is grainy, still more is like a digital water color effect. Still that said an interesting effect.

Sign in to comment