Merging clips

Hello everyone. I am wondering if it is possible to merge clips. In a project I am working on, I had to split a clip into three pieces, and remove the middle piece. While I can still use the effect I am going to use in the two separate clips, it would be much more convenient to edit the merged clip now and for future projects. Thanks. 

Comments

• You can't just select them and merge them, but there are several workarounds.  One is to place them both into a composite shot.  Another is to render them into a new clip, then re-import that clip into any projects you need it in.
  • Thank you Axel
  • edited September 21

Why isn't merging clips a thing.. We have to jump through so many complicated hoops just to get a single video instead of 20 different videos. Just make it a thing and be done with it. Can't find this "work around" you speak of, so im stuck with either downloading a clip-merging software, or paying for an editing software that does the most basic functions  that this program SHOULD have.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Tekky Axel's two listed workarounds were editing the segment and rendering that as a new clip, or combining the desired clips into a single composite shot, then using that composite on the editing timeline. Which are you incapable of finding--how to export render, or how to create a composite shot. Both of these methods are really basic operations, and both are things you'll need to figure out before you make any progress with the software.

Incidentally, in Premiere and Avid you "merge" clips, which converts the clips into "nested sequences." This is functionally identical to placing the clips in a composite shot in Hitfilm. Final Cut creates a "compound clip," which is also functionally identical to placing clips into a Hitfilm composite. Vegas Pro merges clips by rendering the "merged" clip to a new file, which is functionally identical to rendering a clip out of Hitfilm. The five different "clip merging" apps I just looked at all work by rendering out a new file.

In short, the "workarounds" that you can't find are the exact two methods that every other software package you can find will use.

The original poster had a clip which he'd sliced the middle from. This is an edit, and, no matter what, would require nesting into a composite or rendering to "collapse" into a single file.

So, now that we've established that Hitfilm works the same way as every other software package, if there's something you need help with, ask. Nicely. And someone will be glad to assist. Come back with more abusive posts, particularly single word profanities, and I will get you banned. Your choice if you wanna play nice or not. 

• edited September 19

@Tekky Why do you want to just  merge clips? What's the darn reason? Maybe you should define what mean by "merge". Meaning, what is the source and what is the desired result and why it is useful.

Normally in making a video you take pieces or media, one or many, trim out the parts you don't want, keep the parts you do want and then arrange the pieces in the order you want and then render your video. Just one video from a timeline with an arbitrary number of video clips.

If you have two media clips and you want the entirety of them one after the other in time then just place them adjacent on your timeline. Done. If that is the extent of your video edit(s) then just export that.

@NormanPCN as I'd edited Tekky's post to remove his pointless profanity and deleted his posts that were nothing but profanity, I've edited yours as well.

We can disagree here without sinking to that level. Remember, we're "family friendly" for our ten-year-old users. :) 

• Sorry, my bad. Not exactly the best way to shine a spotlight on something.

• @triem23, I still see vulgarity in the remainingTekky post that might be better received if edited....

@CowboyBob looks like he re edited the post again... 

@inScapeDigital one of Chuck Jones' best... 

• I have an issue with this too, there really needs to be a way to merge clips together to make it convenient to move them around when clipping parts you don't wan't, I don't wan't to have to export and re edit the export all the time just to do that, and for composite shots I seem to be able to make only one per clip when I select them individually not all together.

Really though it's just that zooming in and out of the editor box just so I can move everything at once and drag highlight them all is a bit of a hassle.

https://youtu.be/35k8P71cWI0

Also, take a look at the full edit toolset, and pay specific attention to the section from 20:00 to 27:00 or so. Ripple tools should make your life easier, and dragging to select. 

https://youtu.be/l0woRFvuM0g

Continuing on, part of the problem here is terms. We old experts haven't quite explained this efficiently for the newer users.

In VFX, to MERGE a clip specifically means to render a new version and automatically place on the timeline. We've discussed this enough.

So... Here's where we experienced guys messed up, and @ijustwanttoedit456 showed me where.

You guys don't really want to merge clips, you want to LINK or GROUP them! Either one of those will move clip B if clip A moves and vice/versa.

Ok, well, Hitfilm doesn't have that capability. I wish it did.

So, go to the Wishlist thread and type something like "I wish Hitfilm could group clips in the Editor Timeline like Vegas, Avid and Premiere." The developers check that thread for ideas and see how popular they are.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/38770/the-hitfilm-wishlist-what-features-do-you-want#latest

Sign in to comment