Which GPU-Chipset is better for Hitfilm + After Effects: nVidia GT 740 or AMD Radeon HD 7750?

I will become a new PC in the next few weeks and a new GPU will installed in the new PC... but i am wonder which GPU-Chipset is the best choiche for VFX with Hitfilm and After Effects - i am use mainly AMD but AMD is more Optimized for multi-monitor gaming, but for VFX? Which GPU-Chipset model is better for Hitfilm and After Effects for 3D-Compositing in HD?? The Chiset from nVidia GT 740 or the Chipset from AMD Radeon HD 7750 - Which is suggested?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Based on perusing some 10 different benchmarking comparisons, I'd say the AMD is your better overall choice. However, both cards are very close to each other in performance. The Nvidia os better for some tasks, the AMD better for others. The speed differences between the two cards are less than 10% on any individual task, and less than 10% difference, overall.

If you're more of an AMD guy, go with the HD 7750

That said, by current standards, both are pretty mediocre cards.

• Thanks a lot... I am use AMD!

Tip: I am a very big fan of AMD-GPUs because AMD is not only a powerful manufacturer of GPUs, also i am love AMDs "Eyefinity"-Feature which allows to combining two or more monitors to one (i.e. if you have Dual-Monitor with 1920x1080 Pixels each monitor, you can combine it to 3840x1080 or with three monitors you can go up to 5760x1080 Pixels, but if you have a Triple-Screen UHD/4K monitors you can pump up the Screen resolution to Sickly crass 11520x2160 Pixels , Eyefinity will be a Dream for Video Editing and Audio Editing - This gives the ability to work with any Programs like HItfilm, After Effects, DAWs and whatever you want in maximized fullscreen on all monitors - just click the "maximize" button during Eyefinity is activated and the workspaces are in Panorama)

Just for FUN :-): You use Intel-GPUs? You are in Laggy danger! Grab your Bazooka and kill your PC, or you PC will eat you and shreds you with their fans!

• Update Available! The new PC i am buy has the following specs:

CPU: AMD FX-4300 @ 4 x 3.8 GHz / 4.0 GHz in Turbo-Mode

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

GPU: ASUS Phoenix Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 / 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

Are this specs ready for Full 3D-Compositing and Matte Painting with 3D-Layers based on the "Parallax"-Feature in Hitfilm Express and Adobe After Effects?

•  @Triem23

Official announcement of my system specifications of the new PC are as followed:

CPU: AMD FX-4300 @ 4 x 3.8 GHz / 4.0 GHz in Turbo-Mode

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

GPU: ASUS Phoenix Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 / 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

Are this specs ready for Full 3D-Compositing and Matte Painting with 3D-Layers based on the "Parallax"-Feature in Hitfilm Express and Adobe After Effects?

Yeah, that's a pretty good system. See if you can stretch to more RAM. 16-32GB is better than 8.

• @Triem23

Upgrading RAM is planned in the Future - I have set more Priority to the GPU and the CPU - The Rendering-Times depends especially on the CPU and the GPU, not the RAM

But: 8 GByte is enough for Hitfilm and After Effects

As example: If you use a PC with a lot of RAM (i.e. 64 GByte) and a Sixteen-Core like AMD-Opteron but with a crappy garbage GPU like old Intel-IGPs then the rednering perfomance is worth to the trash bucket

i am also a Gamer, which the Games i am play requires smooth framerate, the game will be under 30 FPS unplayable

Sure, you're absolutely right that CPU and GPU are more important. :-) RAM upgrade later is fine. 

• @Triem23

RAM will be also upgraded, but later

I have priorized the GPU and CPU only at the first, then i am will upgrade to 16 GByte RAM

This is intended because RAM-Upgrading is cheaper - upgrading only the RAM separately is more cheaper as buying a PC with more RAM and upgrading GPU and CPU separately

• I rund the AMD FX 4300 and it seems to be my main bottleneck.

After upgrading from the Nvidia GT 730 2GB to the Nvidia GTX 1060 SC 6GB without any improvement, my next step is upgrading from 16 GB to 32 GB RAM. If it is still laggy then, the CPU has to be replaced.

• @MarioKluser Hitfilm is performing many different tasks and some are done with the CPU and some with the GPU. Depending on EXACTLY what is having a performance problem will direct you to what item to upgrade for (possible) better performance. As always, we must remember that with Hitfilm it is easy to do enough effects that no PC will ever be real time smooth.

If you just import media and place it on the timeline and that is not smooth. This is the CPU. Some media like uncompressed video and be a burden for the I/O system but not many use that. A simple solution for better performance here is to transcode to a lower overhead video format (easier to edit). This often does wonders. Beyond that, CPU upgrade can help. High frame rate stuff like 50/60 fps always stresses the system much more than 25/30p. 4k/UHD stresses the system. 4k/UHD at 50/60p, you need to learn to be patient. Both will probably need a transcode and maybe a very powerful CPU as well. The native Cineform in Hitfilm 2017 performs VERY well.

Your 3.8Ghz FX4300 is not so fast. Even an i5 3.4Ghz 3570 beats it by a good margin. It is low cost and has a good price to performance ratio but absolute performance is not so good relative to Intel CPUs.

If your timeline is smooth and then while adding effects it then gets slower in playback then here is where a better GPU can help. The GPU is doing the effects processing. (excluding most of the effects in the Temporal group, and Levels histogram). Most video grading effects like curves, color wheels, Hue, etc are very fast (low overhead) and even moderate GPUs and do this well at 4k 30fps. Then you have things like Glow where you may not be able to buy enough GPU to keep things smooth when you layer that effect in multiples like is so often done.

As for buying more RAM, 16GB should be good for the vast majority of projects. Just load your project, play the timeline some and then open up the Windows task manager and look at the amount of memory Hitfilm is using and the free/available ram. I think you will find Hitfilm is quite efficient at RAM utilization.

Sign in to comment