War Doctor Title Sequence (Zach Alan's Productions Page: Jan/30/2018)

Comments

• I'm back with more progress! This time I added the TARDIS at the beginning, and completed the transition to the red vortex; almost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2Huz76Fy8

There are some slight adjustments I'd like to add to the TARDIS, as well as some changes to the red vortex  and other small details.

What do you think so far?

• Looking better all the time!

• I'm trying to use Boris Title Studio for the  text, since it has the extrusion that I'm looking for. However, there is now way to use a video as an environment map, nor can I find a way to even use an image. Is there another way to get 3D text that reflects the environment? Hitfilm's extrusion can't go long enough...

Any ideas?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Yup. Duplicate your text layer, and, on the bottom copy offset the Z value by whatever the max Extrusion depth is. Should pretty much be a seamless extension. 

If you're doing a 360 rotation you'll have to chop up the text layers and swap em up and down as needed. 

• @ZachAlan_Productions "However, there is now way to use a video as an environment map, nor can I find a way to even use an image. Is there another way to get 3D text that reflects the environment?"

In Boris Title Studio you can use the reflection material property. Title Studio can accept an image file, like jpeg/tif/png, and will do a 3D map of that. The Boris 3D Extruded text effect requires you to create a DirectX cube file which I have never done. Title Studio is much more friendly in this regard.

In Title Studio you can create an environment map track. The option is in the render tab. It probably applies to all other tracks within the container, above below or whatever. I'm not sure as I have not actually tried to use it.

Here is a screenshot of me using a simple texture for an environment map to get a gold metallic glinty look in Title Studio using the reflection material property.

• @NormanPCN thank you. The interface in Title studio is quite confusing for me, so I will try what you said. If it doesn't work for me, I'll try what @Triem23 mentioned. Thanks for the quick responses!

• It's almost done! (Or maybe already done?) Here is the latest version of my recreation of the 9th/10th Doctor's title sequences. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEckkPZmIJg
    If you have any suggestions for improvement, let me know! 

That's looking sweet! Which method did you end up using for the Extrusion growth? 

• Love it! I haven't seen the original in a while, so I can't really compare to give any crits, but it's looking VERY cool!

edited August 2017

@jsbarrett at about 9:30 in this video the Eccleston/Tennant titles come up. 

https://youtu.be/tHxicdBaqJ0

Zach is well over 90% identical with his current version. Probably as close to 100% as possible since exactly matching a procedural texture is nigh-impossible without identical software. 

Incidentally, if anyone ever wanted to do a "Tom Baker" intro, I've got that down. 

https://youtu.be/GVoqCjk8uoA

I even have a never realeased tutorial sitting around. It was constructed to come after two @NxVisualStudio tutorials, and the audio sucks, but it's there... 

• @Triem23 I ended up using Boris, but if I ever do something similar or do a tutorial I'd rather use your method with Hitfilm's extrusion because it would just be an easier process.

Funny how the slit-scan method is still used, from Tom Baker to Eccleston/Tennant.  I attempted a Tom Baker using your old tutorial as well as the ones by @NxVisualStudio but it never worked for me...

Thank you all for supporting and helping this project! My first ever real Hitfilm project was recreating these same titles found on my channel. This is now the third and hopefully final version.

• edited August 2017

And here's the final version! Of course, there are still little parts I see that could be improved, but I've decided to leave it and post it. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZloIu2JWj8

If you have any suggestions for future projects, let me know! I have some more Who intro sequences on the way...

@Triem23 @NXVisualStudio

• That is fantastic. :)

• Here is my latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_NvV3gY1Y

It is a fun project I did with some friends. As you can see in the credits, I did all the camera work, audio, writing, directing and post-production. It is my first video with my DSLR camera and other equipment and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

There are always things that I see that could be changed or improved, but what do you think? Any feedback is welcome for future videos.

• @ZachAlan_Productions  Is that the lightning effect that was suggested a while back by someone for the web?  It turned out really nice.  Also, your tracking of the motion of the remote with the lightning/web effect was well done.

• edited September 2017

@zachAlan_Productions

I really like this sort of humour. The web effect looked good. Not sure what standards you're setting for yourself but a fun, well executed, well lit, well filmed video with a good script. In short.... it's really good.

• @tddavis yes that was the lightning effect. :) Also, the tracking was done manually and not with the tracker.

@tonyg Glad you enjoyed it! I am very happy with it as well, just some directing/ writing things I could have done a bit better to make some parts more clear in my opinion, but everyone seems to enjoy it so far so that's good! :)

• @ZachAlan_Productions

"Also, the tracking was done manually and not with the tracker."

Color me super impressed then.  That must have been extremely nerve-racking to do manually.  I saw no slippage at all in the track.  Kudos!

• Very cool!  There were a couple minor edit issues that popped out, but overall that was really well done, and the final title gag really made me laugh.

• @jsbarrett glad you like it! This is my first time really editing a video in Hitfilm, so any feedback is welcome! Do you mind letting me know what errors stood out so I can avoid them in future videos? Thanks!

• ZachAlan_Productions I really enjoyed this and I'm very impressed with how well the web shot came out! Looking forward to seeing more :)

• I laughed.

Title VFX looked good--especially the titles and "Marvel-style" logo. The Web track was really solid with the only critiques there being that the web was a little too bright (TIP: Spidey's webs are pretty white, but not pure white--if you'd sampled a color for the webs from, say the highlight areas of that white table leg in the background, you'll get a perfect match for a white object in the lighting of the scene!). And... maybe the motion blur effect? But a really solid track, and the spread of the filaments hitting the remote really looked good. You had just enough wiggle in the lightning too give it the right look.

Only other real critique is Ryan caused you some continuity errors. So in shot A, he'd be gesturing with his left hand, you'd cut to B, and he'd be gesturing with the right. I'm sure you agonized over those cuts, hoping no-one would notice. Nope. I noticed. ;-) When you're shooting fast with a couple of friends this kind of thing is easy to miss in the moment (In my "Ghostbuster's Go!" short I have a phone that jumps hands a couple of times). On a full set, this is where your "script supervisor" comes in--the essential person on set who is there to try to make certain everything matches from shot to shot. It's a thankless job, as it's only pointed out when it fails to catch something (and a lot of the time it's something scripty pointed out, and the director decided not to worry about).

Loved the title gag.

• @OliThompsos thanks, there's more on the way!

@Triem23 Thanks for the feedback. Some things like that definitely slipped by me in the filming and editing, but it was a great learning experience for me.

Next time I know to do some more takes and review the footage after every shot to make sure things line up :)

• @Triem23 Also nice tip with sampling the colors. Never thought of doing that.... I actually had the web, Spider-Man logo, and Marvel intro all in the works as random projects before this one. This was a fun way to use them all up :)

• Zach, I remember you'd worked on those before. Sometimes it's smart to write a film around something you've already figured out or have lying around. 

• @ZachAlan_Productions Aside from the continuity stuff that @Triem23 pointed out, here's what stood out to me:

1. 0:20 - The ambient noise changes when you cut to view the remote. Keeping ambient sound consistent between cuts is perhaps more of an advanced editing technique, but it's a worthy goal that'll make your work more professional.  This is where headphones come in handy (and is how I noticed the issue).
    2. 0:50 - When Malcolm stands, the camera doesn't track him well. With someone so close to camera, it's tough to keep them in frame during such a rapid move. One alternative would be to have the camera back up a bit while Malcom is standing, instead of just tilting it in place.  Another that could be done in editing is to leave the shot on Ryan as he's finishing his rant, overlap the beginning of Malcom's "Are you serious" audio at the end of that shot (i.e. a J-cut), then cut to him mid-line as he stands into frame.
    3. 1:04 - Similar to 0:20, the audio level noticeably changes across the cut after Malcom's "Ow" line.  The audio from that straight-on shot should continue across the cut, then blend into the audio of the angle shot.  This is an L-cut.
    4. 1:17 - This cut has some other character audio trailing off at the head of the new shot.  An L-cut would fix this as well.

And even knowing how it ends, I still laughed again at the title gag.  Excellent line delivery and editing timing.  :) 

• edited September 2017

@jsbarrett thanks for that description! I'll keep this in mind for next time. Again, it's my first "real" edit, so I am not familiar with L-cuts and what not... yet.

Also I see what you mean with the camera tilt. Could have been better or removed, but it's also my first time really doing any camera work :)

I'm glad everyone is liking the title joke at the end!

• To expand on @jsbarrett ;

Cutting the visual before the audio is and "L" cut, cutting visual after audio is a "J" cut. 

The basic concept is just that you don't always have to cut on the line of dialog. Overlapping elements can lead to smoother cuts. 

• edited September 2017

I thought it was all excellent, the lightning web looked great, I liked the joke at the end; but was expecting something that didn't even have "Spider" "Man" or "Boy" in it, for copyright reasons, like "Super-Arachnid-Dude" ;)

To add some more very minor notes, it wasn't obvious that Malcolm had walked past the remote, or even how far away it was. He sat down almost immediately he was asked to get it - Ryan was looking up at him, not across the room-  which undermined Ryan's complaint that he'd walked past it and it was (presumably) far away. You could have had a shot of it where you did one of those "Chief Brody seeing Jaws" "Zoom in while moving backwards" shots to make it seem miles away.

I'd also have gone with more like "5 minutes later" rather than "2 hours later", especially as all the other "2 hours later"s people use seem to have a comic page with the text on it and someone saying it in a french accent. No idea where that meme comes from, but seen it on quite a few 'build projects'. (Edit: It's from SpongeBob... :) )

Anyway...point is, no one stands and argues for 2 hours about a remote. To make the point about them wasting time arguing they could have easily used to fetch the remote: 5 minutes is more than enough. It also didn't really transition from that text to them sitting down in a meaningful way. Maybe some really obvious cartoon Black Eyes drawn on each of them? Which they then wiped off with a towel?

Best line delivery? "...no, that's copyrighted". :D

Sign in to comment