track drone "crane shot"

Hi Guys,

I apologise of this has been asked before. I am planning a drone crane shot. the typical shot that rises over an obstacle to reveal landscape behind and what's going on there. I'm going to need to composite in multiple elements so I will need to track the shot. 

I thought initially I might be able to use the long pan technique from the tutorial by @AxelWilkinson but that relies on a fixed camera position pivoting to pan. In a crane shot the camera is moving so no go there. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial for the techniques I'll need to track such a shot?

thanks

Comments

• edited July 2017

Ok Guys don't worry. I got a decent track using two planes on some test footage so it's just a matter of normal tracking it seems.

https://youtu.be/S3ouJIKEyW8

And yes I know the masking is more than a little funky. It's a major rush job

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Yeah, like you discovered, it's pretty much "tracking is tracking."

Caveat. Mocha always needs at least two non-coplanar planes to track 3D position. Since you're doing a "rise from behind a thing to reveal a vista" shot plan your angle at the beginning to have those planes. If, say, you're rising up from behind a wall and only the wall fills the frame you'll have real trouble getting a camera solve on it. 

• @Triem23 yeah I already had that covered with the shot I have planned. It wont be massively dissimilar to the the one I used for the Q&D test above so I should have the planes I need. I'll bear it in mind when I frame it up though.

Sign in to comment