Star Trek Test Shot

Hey, everyone!

My name is Otis Frampton. I'm a comic book writer/artist and animator. I'm also one of the two artists on the YouTube Series "How It Should Have Ended."

You can see some of my work here: https://otisframpton.com/

If you've never seen "How It Should Have Ended," please check us out on YouTube (we just released the :Kong: Skull Island" HISHE today, which I did all of the artwork for): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHCph-_jLba_9atyCZJPLQQ

I just discovered HitFilm on Saturday after looking around for an alternative to After Effects. Great app and even greater community. Glad to have found it all!

I'm thinking of using HitFilm for an animated short I'm working on and also for some live action short films in the coming year that will be VFX heavy, so I've been giving the app a test drive over the last few days. This morning I started playing around with effects and decided to see if I could create a cool looking Star Trek shot with the Enterprise encountering a vortex in space.

Check it out!

https://youtu.be/_4Lf2fl43s0

I created the shot in HitFilm using two still images I found on the web (the space background and the Enterprise) and the built-in effects for the vortex.

I exported that and brought it into Final Cut Pro X for some color correction, an added camera shake and the letterbox. I probably could have done all of that in HitFilm or downloaded Ignite, but I'm very familar with Final Cut for post-work, so I decided to save time and do it that way.

I'm really loving this program. Even more than After Effects, which isn't very intuitive and can be overwhelming.

Can't wait to create and show more!

-Otis

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

@otisframpton ; Cool!  Makes you wonder what's going to come out of that wormhole and challenge a Constitution class starship.

Glad you found HF.  Look forward to more.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Otis,

Welcome to Hitfilm.!

Nice vortex, love the distortion on the Fed, and I do enjoy HISHE! 

Since you're a working, paid artist, I will suggest after you familiarize yourself with Express you download the demo of Pro. This will give you access to Hitfilm's most powerful features, and give you the Pro version of Hitfilm Ignite, which adds Hitfilm effects to FCPX. You can download Ignite Express for free which gives you over half the Ignite Pro effects in FCPX. The Pro version also lets you install on three machines, which can be very helpful if you have multiple machines and a deadline. 

Here's a comparison of Pro vs Express:

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/43783/comparing-hitfilm-express-2017-to-hfe-4-and-pro-2017-the-definitive-list#latest

(BTW Moderators aren't staff, we're volunteer users. The sales pitch ain't corporate, just pointing out options as you're a working pro, not a hobbyists or beginner. :)

Now, as you learn Hitfilm there are tons of tutorials online. I always recommend my own YouTube channel, "Hitfilm University. Besides my own tutorials, I have playlists for a lot of other channels, from Hitfilm's official tutorials through the few Film Riot Hitfilm episodes through a couple dozen channels of user tutorials. Hit-U is a good starting place to find (and subscribe to the creator's channels) hundreds of Hitfilm tutorials. 

Otherwise you've found what is genuinely one of friendliest, most helpful VFX communities around. If any questions on techniques come up you'll probably get five different solutions from four different users. Enjoy! 

• Loving it! Nothing like a good space/mystery adventure. Look forward to seeing some more! :)

• Thanks, everyone!

I'm working on more. I decided to expand on this shot and create a 2-3 minute short using Star Trek: The Original Series footage and new VFX created in HitFilm Express to tell a new story. I'm almost done and should be able to show it sometime next week.

-Otis

• Welcome to the party, Otis!  I haven't watched all of the HISHE episodes, but have enjoyed many of them.  Your initial HitFilm test was pretty cool. Definitely eager to see what you create next! 

• Never thought I'd see someone from HISHE here! Awesome! Even though I haven't caught up with the episodes yet, I think your stuff is absolutely brilliant. You have a fan here 

Also curious to see what you're gonna do next! I hope you're planning to post the Star Trek short. Really exited to see that one. I'm also completely new at HitFilm to be honest, but I'm liking the community so far! 

• Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I hope I can figure out how to do this in HF. If I can't, I won't be able to give up After Effects and that will be unfortunate. I'm really loving HitFilm and its community.

Speaking of my Star Trek short...

I'm still working on it, but I had to take a break to knock out some freelance work. Deadlines took precedence over having fun!

But here's a preview of what I'm doing:

-Otis

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Looks nice! Hey, deadlines mean paychecks, thus rent n' pizza. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

By George, I think he's got it!

@otisframpton That's looking very tasty.  

Good to see the classic Constitution class getting some love.

• @otisframpton ;I think you'll be fine with HF. Just don't worry too much about it. 

Now you're making me very curious with that Star Trek short! I hope you can finish it fast enough :) But of course work comes first, so don't stress yourself. I think we can all wait patiently! 

• This is very cool!

Love some HISHE.. the Lord of the Rings episode is beyond perfect.

• edited July 31

Playing digital matte painter for a shot from the Star Trek short I'm almost done with. Extending and repainting a photo of the model in the Smithsonian for a shot where the nacelles get hit with energy bursts.

• Oh wow I didn't expect you to be almost done with the short so quickly! Can't wait to see it. How long is the short going to be? 

• Well, it's not very long. Its just a few minutes.

• Seriously that looks really great. I'm happy you found hitfilm, I love it, especially the community.

• That is a really terrific shot!

Sign in to comment