THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• @Triem23 good tutorial on the clone stamp effect, i did not know about that effect thanks.

• Completely agree with some of these(the sensible ones). I really would like to see multiple editor timelines. It would fit my workflow so much better, being able to switch back and forth in a single project. 

• Yes, multiple editor timelines would be a big improvement. 

So would RedCode support... especially now that I have a 1080 Ti installed... ;)

• edited July 2

+1 on multiple editor timelines
    (which could be used to plot out scenes individually, and then may be "dropped" into a Main timeline for the final edit.)

+1 RedCode support
    (I have stock footage in the Red format)

• I would like to be able to change the playback speed of a clip (i.e. rate stretch) without affecting the pitch of the sound. I know it's possible to preserve the pitch of sounds when changing the tempo because you can do it in Audacity.

• I would like to be able to apply effects and controls to entire tracks at once, so everything put on that track inherits those settings and also loses them if dragged off that track.

• I would like to be able to drag 'controls' (i.e. transform and clip properties parameters) from one clips to another or a selection of clips. This would save a lot of time manually entering the same parameters to multiple clips.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@THX1139 you know you can copy/paste Transform Properties. You can even do multiple parameters at once. 

• I'd like to be able to import all the media from a folder except the stuff that already been imported.

@Trem23 Okay, thanks!

• I'd like to be able to place markers on the timeline similar to how Davinci Resolve does it.

• edited July 6

I'd like it if Hitfilm keps HDDs awake (or awakes them if necessary) when it has focus. So if I switch back to Hitfilm, my HDDs with media immediately start spinning up and don't sleep as long as Hitfilm has focus.

@ScottReid, I also asked for that feature. A crappy work around I'm using is to create (hot pink!) planes in the media tab and name them with my labels before placing them on a dedicated track:

• I wish Hitfilm would continue to do RAM previews whilst minimised so I can do something else whilst it's busy.

I can't think of ANY NLE that will RAM preview when it's not the top program. Certainly not Vegas, Avid, Premiere or FCPX. Would be nice, but it's likely not possible for technical reasons. 

• @Triem23

I can't either. Vfx software can ram preview individual shots. Although the length of a shot can affect that as well. 

• Does Hitfilm have trim top/trim tail?

• @TheNickle No.  HitFilm's editing tools are fairly basic, but that's not surprising because it's not marketed as an editor.  Its strengths are in compositing and FX.

• I wish to be able to cut and paste layers in a composite shot to specific locations within the stack of layers instead of the paste always going to the very top.

I also wish to be able to drag layers down through the stack. Currently you have to drag to the bottom of the window and then drop it there, mouse scroll down the list a bit and then drag and drop it again and the mouse scroll down the list a bit etc until you get where you want to be.

• edited July 7

I would like it, after filling two digits into the playhead location box, the cursor automatically jumped to the next section without me having to use the arrow keys.

Also, after I type in the next section I have to move my hand to a different part of the keyboard to delete the original numbers. It would be ideal if the numbers in the next section were automatically selected so they will be overwritten when I start typing.

• I would like to be able to change the font used in the timecode generator effect.

• edited July 8

I also like the sound of the trim top/tail function. I don't know much about coding but it doesn't seem like it would be hard to implement. I'm just trying to make some instructional videos for YouTube so I'm hoping to keep it "simple" (none of this is simple!) and use Hitfilm for mostly everything.

• I wish I could change the properties of multiple layers in a composite at once. They all have the same dimensions and I want to change their scale by the same amount.

• I wish I could see images that extend over the boundaries of the composite shot, just like you can in, for example, MS PowerPoint to work on parts that are being animated to come onto the screen (just like I'm doing with Hitfilm).

How Hitfilm does it:  :(

How MS PowerPoint does it:

• Definitely VST support! This program will be extremely capable with those capabilities. Also more powerful native audio processing tools. 

• @THX1139
    I can only see a headache in the future with a feature like that. Imagine if you have several layers of footage extending outside of the viewport. It would look horrible. For Powerpoint, it makes more sense. You're dealing with simple shapes and graphics in that app. Not so in VFX program.

• @ToddGroves

There's no reason that the feature couldn't be toggled on and off like it can in Adobe InDesign, for example, depending on your needs at that time. 

@ToddGroves @THX1139 I think being able to see some of the "bleed" area around the active shot is interesting enough to not reject out of hand. I can immediately see where it's useful for animating things that pass completely out of frame. 

THX1139 the potential problems here involve massive slowdown. You're basically asking Hitfilm to render outside the shot area, and Hitfilm renders, often involving high res bitmaps or animated procedural elements are a lot more complex than InDesign objects which are usually simple vectors with solid or gradient fills. 

For sake of argument, let's say such a feature were implemented, but, rather than an unlimited bleed area, let's assume a bleed is only 25% of the Composite dimensions for each side. Ok, that makes the total bleed area 150% of the comp dimensions. 1.5x1.5 is 2.25, so you've more than doubled the RAM requirements for what the GPU renders. This is going to be a major problem for users with lower-end GPUs (suddenly a 2.7k comp is taking the RAM of a 4k comp). 

So. Good idea. Don't know if it's practical, even though I'd like to see it. I'd have to suggest a bleed area would be limited to (at most) that 25% I used as example earlier. That said, no NLE has done it before! 

As always its up to the hard working FXHOME crew to decide if it's practical to implement. I guarantee users who had high end GPUs would find this one of the greatest features they didn't know they wanted, but users with low-end GPUs would complain their edits got choppy. 

• @Triem23 I myself only have a GTX 950 with 2 GB memory but I usually run the preview window at QUARTER quality. I would also only be enabling the bleed area when it's relevant and I wonder if it would be possible to automatically disable the bleed area when playback is happening and then re-enable when paused. I figure it's the playback that's more demanding?

Incidentally, I also wish the forum had a bit where people enter their PC specification. Some computer-oriented forums have this feature which lets people open a list of the commenter's specifications without leaving the forum thread.

• I wish upon a star that Hitfilm had object/layer alignment tools for aligning and equidistantly-separating objects/layers.

• I think currently you can only use a second monitor with Hitfilm Pro but I think it could be something put into an Express expansion pack. My monitor is 22" 1080p but there's very, very frequent changing of panel sizes and zooming in and out when animating small details with lots of layers. I have an old laptop which I sometimes use as a second monitor so this would be a great feature to have.

Incidentally, I'd like if simple mathematical functions could be performed in the value entry boxes so if I wanted to move a layer up 74.6 pixels, I wouldn't have to add 74.6 pixels to -265.815 pixels and then add the result. I think all addition, subtraction, division and multiplication operations should be supported. This feature is present in the Inkscape vector graphics program but may also feature in others. This would be another saver of time.

• You can use a second monitor in Express. I do it. 

Sign in to comment