THE HITFILM WISHLIST: What Features Do You Want?

Comments

• @Davlon

I think manually picking a color for a layer would be a good approach. Something AE has. That way you can choose what meaning each color has based on your own preferences. 

• @VideoFix

I like that idea, too. That way you can color grade your movie, scene by scene. 

In the movie "Traffic", the scenes that were given a warm color grade took place in Mexico. And the scenes with a cold/blue color grade took place in Los Angeles. It was a great way of keeping the story flowing without constantly telling the audience which country they were in. 

• tl;dr: Speed/Versatility improvements for Auto Color, Auto Contrast and Auto Levels.

Problems with Auto Color, Auto Contrast and Auto Levels are they all produce flicker, depending on what's in the frame. Even with a fairly simple talking head, if it moves about a bit the result from any of them can change considerably.

They have a Use Frame option, but that's very slow. The playback speed drops considerably as it feels like it's reread from the clip for every comparison.

Solutions might be:
    1) Cache that frame somewhere to make it faster to compare with, or
    2)  Allow them all to Use Layer, where you could use a frame grabbed from the clip and saved as an image, or even a different clip entirely if you wanted to have the same sort of overall Hue/Sat/Light to several clips as a sort of 'poor man's' Grading Transfer.

• For those who need to sync composite shots to main timeline music. A single long music file/clip on the NLE timeline. Not a terribly uncommon task and in HF we must use comps for some editing features (e.g. keyframes).

Have some mechanism to easily get timeline audio into a comp.

Have a mechanism where from the NLE timeline we can copy audio to a comp. Like copy from the playhead position where the audio is left indexed in the comp from the NLE timeline playhead time index. Something like a right click option. Copy to composite. This opens a dialog with a list of comps to choose from. Or maybe be able to take the NLE timeline in/out range to limit the audio range of the copy. Maybe both options.

We can do this manually right now but, this is tedious and if the music file is not zero based on the NLE timeline then the math for us users becomes a real pain making the function seriously tedious. Such math for HF is microseconds of work.

If one wants to get seriously slick. A single instanced comp could have an option to use the NLE audio tracks for audio. This is kinda like effective "virtual" layers in the comp.

• +1 for NormanPCN

• Clip groups for color grading. Color grading in HitFilm is a complete non-starter without some way of grouping clips for grading.

And there's not an option for exporting individual clips, just a timeline as a single clip? Am I missing something, or is that really not an option?

If not, add it to the feature request list. 

• @WhiteCranePhoto Do you mean like the right click of a clip in the timeline > "Add to Export Queue"? It's already in there (it got added in 2017 Update 2).

If that's not what you meant then please elaborate a bit :)

• That's close, but not quite. 

It allowed me to accomplish what I was after, because I was able to select every clip on the timeline and add them all to the export queue at once... but then I had to individually update the export location and preset for each.

For just a few clips it would have been fine, but for the 17 or so that I need to export, it's not idea.

If I can add a timeline to the export queue but select the option of exporting each individual clip instead of a single clip, then I could update those settings once, not 17 times to export them.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@WhiteCranePhoto check out the setting in the Export Queue to set a default profile. That will save you a step. 

• @WhiteCranePhoto can't you select all export tasks (of your individual clips), drag the preset you want and click on any output link to change the output folder of every task at the same time?

Or are you trying to set a different folder and preset per clip?

• @CedricBonnier I'll try that. It would make the batch exports much smoother.

Is there a way to determine which GPU HitFilm is using? I added a 1080Ti, and in Resolve the renderd went from around .5 fps to around 20, but the HitFilm render is still giving me a 45 minute eta for a 45-second clip, which leads me think that it's still using the pansy Intel GPU.

Of course, the RazerCore is at home and I'm going to be on set the rest of the week so I'll have to put up with the slow renders for a few days, but hopefully when I get back I'll know how to give HitFilm a shot in the arm

• @WhiteCranePhoto Selecting the correct GPU should have been fixed in 2017 Update 6. Please do let us know if it isn't for you.

• @CedricBonnier is there a way to find out which one HitFilm is using? Since mine in in a Razer Core rather than internal, I'm wondering if HitFilm isn't seeing it. I expected it to be a LOT faster given how well it performs using the wimpy Intel GPU.

• Copy and paste textures in 3d models. Please

• edited June 22

There a quite a few features I'd like to see (unsure if these have been posted but here we go), such as:

- Adjustment layers that affect multiple clips under them

- More export options, from what I know with Premiere there are multiple AVI codecs you can choose from (e.g. lagarith lossless codec) 

- Basic key framing for the editor interface, so things like the speed of the video can be key framed

- Selecting multiple clips from the editor and bringing them into compositing

- Text alignment and the ability to add shadows within the text panel

- Selecting either audio or video only from the trimmer

- Changing time from within the trimmer (so for example typing 20 seconds for the in point and 40 seconds for the out point)  

But yeah other then that Hitfilm is very impressive as a video editor, and it will only get better and better. My thanks goes towards the Hitfilm team!    

@WhiteCranePhoto there should be  NVIDIA management software with your GPU. Never thought about it, but I can see Hitfilm getting confused over a GPU connected via USB or Thunderbolt. If USB, I can even see that being a bottleneck as the 5Gb/s peak transfer of USB 3 would be under the 6Gb/s of an SDI port. Either way, the Nvidia management software can be configured to force a GPU for certain programs. Despite advances in this technology from Nvidia and FXHOME, I'm pretty picky about manual settings. For example, left to the auto settings, the Nvidia manager wants to put my Firefox on the 980m, when it only needs the Intel. 

@TheNickel

- Adjustment layers that affect multiple clips under them

Only in Composite Shots, currently (Grade Layers). Would be nice to have in an Editor Timeline. 

- More export options, from what I know with Premiere there are multiple AVI codecs you can choose from (e.g. lagarith lossless codec) 

Speculation, but I think the "holdup" here has usually been cost factors. Licensed codecs would, of course, increase the cost of Pro and the cost of the Premium Codecs add-on for Express. 

- Basic key framing for the editor interface, so things like the speed of the video can be key framed

Wouldn't mind seeing this myself. 

- Selecting multiple clips from the editor and bringing them into compositing

A long wished item. 

- Text alignment and the ability to add shadows within the text panel

Text can be justified LCR already, or are you referring to something like a column layout? Doubtful shadows will be added to the text panel as there's a drop shadow effect already. 

- Selecting either audio or video only from the trimmer

There is a keyboard shortcut for that. Hold down ALT and drag. Video or Audio only will drop on the selected track. I wonder if that works with the insert button? Never tried it. 

- Changing time from within the trimmer (so for example typing 20 seconds for the in point and 40 seconds for the out point)  

Interesting.  Do you have a suggested implementation for the devs? I can see a time ruler being added to the Trimmer window that accepts numeric input, but, otherwise, I'm not sure I get how you want this to work? 

• @Triem23 ;

- Text can be justified LCR already, or are you referring to something like a column layout? Doubtful shadows will be added to the text panel as there's a drop shadow effect already.

Something similar to how Premiere does it, like having text centered within the frame for example. Also, not sure what a column layout is.

- Interesting.  Do you have a suggested implementation for the devs? I can see a time ruler being added to the Trimmer window that accepts numeric input, but, otherwise, I'm not sure I get how you want this to work? 

Yeah, something that allows for numeric imput, like Premiere. I'm a bit unsure about 'how' to get something like that to work, but I do that when I used premiere I could set in/out points to the milesecond, which was great. 

• @Triem23  I switched the setting using the nVidia management tools, but it didn't have any affect on the render times. The bandwidth on the connection I'm using is 40Gbps, much less of a bottleneck (it's Thunderbolt 3).

• Is there a snapping feature... If not snapping would be very useful!!!

• a integrated 3d camera tracker and 3d cube so you can make simpel 3D models or something like that and finally more color grading fetures.

• it whould be nice to have a clone stamp tool or somthing like that.

@ztr36 Hitfilm DOES have a Clone Stamp. Here's a Hitfilm 2 Ultimate tutorial cuz that tool has been around for years. 

https://youtu.be/rpkE7Tdlt3k

Perhaps a toggle in Levels Histogram to turn the Histogram off? Right now the filter has to read back from the GPU to update the graph, but that leads to wasted resources on render and export. Turning the histogram off frees those resources once the desired adjustment is dialed in. 

I expect @NormanPCN to "+1" any minute now. 

• edited June 26

Okay +1, but I am pretty sure I suggested this to FxHome via a support ticket.

Levels can be used as a fundamental correction tool. As such, it should be able to perform as well as Curves for example. Levels does not. Speculation of course, but likely due to the histogram computation, read back and display.

Performance suggestions.

• Don't compute/update the histo when the histogram is not visible. If we can't see it, then not waste time updating it.
    • Give us a check option to manually display histo update during playback. User control is always a prime feature.

The last one is also a good option to have for video scopes.

• @Triem23
    Thanks for that Clone Stamp tutorial. Very useful and easy to follow.

@ToddGroves that's all Axel. :-)

• @Triem23
    You're right! I was thanking you for posting it. Be sure to pass my thanks onto Axel. :)

• I just watched the Hitfilm University Animate everything pt 3 tutorial and Triem23 came across an anomaly in the UI.

When you select multiple 3D object animation property groups you cannot set all selected items to the same parent. We can do this with layers. Maybe for UI self consistency it should be supported for 3D model animation properties. I don't think selecting multiple 3D model animation groups could have any other uses beyond setting the parent so...

• Honestly surprised that there seems to be no mention of shortcuts regarding the video attributes.

i.e (in the case of Adobe Premiere/After Effects):

Scale = S

Opacity = T

Rotation = R 

& so fourth. Doesn't make sense that these basics aren't there.

Also, can we get some shortcuts for switching to Audio MIxers? 

In Vegas Pro, I was able to press CTRL + ALT + 2 for Video Scopes. That'd be great here.

• @NormanPCN good catch, it's probably an oversight. I've added it to our backlog. Thanks!

Sign in to comment