Camera projection effect

When turning a 2D photo (of a hallway) into a 3D scene, it is clear how to map the photo with planes and the grid effect in 3D space; and it is clear how to apply the projection effect to move within that space.  However, is there a way to map a 2D photo that is not comprised of a quadrilateral shape, such as a forest, or rocky terrain, or a curved hallway?  Is this a matter of freehand masking a number of planes to fit the scene, even on the Z Axis for depth?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Kind of....

So, You can combine multiple projectors in one scene. For things like forests, this would let you mask the treeline on one copy, but not on another. Set up the projector effects using the two different layers, with both source images using the same camera. So by masking the source image the transparency will carry over to the "screen" plane.

For curved hallways, you'll have to use multiple planes to approximate the curve.

When setting up complex projection scenarios, I like to create the floor screen first. But move the anchor point of the plane to the bottom center of the layer. Then I duplicate and scale the floor plane for the first wall segment. By rotating that first wall 90 degrees relative to the floor, having the anchor point on that bottom edge locks the wall to the floor, and, as I move that wall round it stays aligned to the floor. From that point it's duplicating and scaling each new plane. For me this makes it pretty easy to set up scenes with curves or if I have multiple walls showing that have to connect. Hopefully you'll find that tip useful, because shifting the anchor point made it much much easier to keep multiple planes aligned rather than having the anchor point in the center.

Note, scaling a screen layer won't change the size of the image being projected on it. So, again, just duplicating the same plane over and over and scaling it to fit not only makes it easier to align, I don't have to keep adding the projector effect. The only downside (although I haven't truly tested this) is I suspect scaling all those planes is a bit more processor intensive than if I'd created planes at the correct size to start with.

• Thank you, Mike. I look forward to toying with this, and incorporating your tip, tonight.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Ah, found it. This kinda shows a screen setup for a hallway with curved walls. Planes are shown with different colored grids for reference. 

https://flic.kr/p/Dv6aHm

Sign in to comment