How would I make the Torchwood titles?

Hi all,

I've been rewatching  Torchwood lately, and thought I would try making the season 1 and 2 intro. Any tutorials for Express?  

Thank you for helping.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulcrum2016

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• Torchwood seems like so long ago, I can't even remember what was special about the titles.

• edited June 2017

here are the titles, for reference

Edit: Fulcrum posted a link to a better version below 

Basically it's a single word with the scale key-framed, and a whole load of other stuff added on top.

For making all the other stuff, HitFilm's various grunge effects will probably come in handy

• JMcAllister

Also here's the link, because that video doesn't work.

Torchwood Titles

•  @Fulcrum2016 my bad. The video you posted is better quality anyway though. (for some reason I didn't think to look on the Dr Who youtube channel - *facepalm*)

Anyway, I found the font used for the title. Thought you might appreciate it 

https://fontmeme.com/fonts/touchwood-font/

• ON FONTMEME AS WELL?! 

YOU'VE REALLY OUTDONE YOURSELF!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! THANK YOU SO MUCH TIMES ONE HUNDRED! 

• But in the title there are loads of squiggly lines and stuff- how do I do that?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Oh, most of their vertical lines were probably done with the "scratches" parameter of a film damage effect. If you don't have the relevant add-ons, you can make vertical lines with masked planes, Lightswords or lightning. Maybe add a bit of heat Distortion to bend em a little. Same with the horizontal lines. The circle pattern shown at one point could be masked planes or radio waves. They use a photo of the Torchwood sign on a tile wall graded red, and some of the overlays look like scans of pen scribbling on paper inverted, then hue shifted to red. It's all fairly basic stuff, really. Just a lot of quick keyframes. 

• Thanks for the breakdown @Triem23. Really helped me understand the effects, so I now know!

•  radio waves?

Also yeah, I recognise that wall which was graded. Should have a pic.

how does one 'invert' scans of pen scribbles?

• edited June 2017

Also, when the word Torchwood flashes across the screen in various fonts, I noticed one of the times it appears it flies out (towards the screen) one letter at a time. How would I do that in Hitfilm?

Search the effects panel for "radio waves, " and "invert." :) 

Scribble on paper, take a pic with your smartphone. ;) 

To move one letter/word at a time you have two possibilities:

• Either put each letter on its own layer. 
    • Boris. 

• Putting each letter on its own layer. Can't get Boris.

Do embedded comp shots. Then you only create one "O," for example, and use three copies of the same comp shot. It's a little cleaner in the media bin. 

• Also, Triem, about the lines, I used a masked plane and turned up with nice results!

Sign in to comment