Mbps vs Color Profiles in Color Grading

I'll begin by apologizing if I sound completely off, but here's what I understand.

Higher Mbps determines broadcast quality & how much pull & tug when it comes to color space, i.e, how much leeway you have as shown in your scopes.

Logs/Color profiles (neutral, S-Log, V-Logs, etc) are profiles that desaturate, desharpen and bring you contrast to rock button so you can bolster the levels yourself in post production.

So far so good? (Correct me if not)

So my question is:

Let's say I shoot a video with a S-Log 3 (Sony's flat profile) with 50 MBbs, and shoot regular on say, a GH4 but with a neutral profile (as opposed to Panasonic's V-log, for instance) however, this video is on a 100 MBbs.

Each of these videos will offer me more flexibility when it comes to color grading?

I realize that levels play a huge role in the hierarchy of color grading, but I just need to ask this question just to insure that I understand properly. 

Comments

• Sorry, i meant "WHICH of these videos will offer me more flexibility."

• A video encoded with a Log curve should always have more flexibility than something recorded in a standard gamma playback/viewing curve.

• Using a log curve (or not) is orthogonal to your data rate. Generally you want the highest data rate you can handle, because that determines how much of your original image you're saving for post work.

If you're shooting in conditions that aren't too contrasty, you might get better results using a standard curve than with a log curve, simply because it will look better out of the box, which means that it's a nicer looking starting point, and if there's no risk of blowing highlights, then you don't really gain much with a log curve.

Of course, if you're working with a higher contrast setting, you'll want to use a log curve.

The catch is that unless you're shooting in RAW, you're going to want to choose the same curve for the entire production, otherwise you'll end up metering differently and you'll have a lot more trouble matching skin tones and that sort thing throughout, so most of the folks who don't use log encoding are grading on camera, either using on-camera primaries or a LUT or in some cases both.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment