I made this for a video

This part is still in the works but I was wondering if some of you can give me any tips on how to make this a whole lot better. 

Comments

• First suggestion: fix the framing.  It took me several views before I figured out that you (I'm guessing that's you in the shot) were laying down at the bottom of the frame.  You are mostly obscured by the video player controls, in part because they won't auto-hide for such a short video.  That aside, you're still mostly cropped off by the framing.  Either lay in a different place so that you're more fully in the frame, or adjust the camera zoom or position.  The second bullet hit is also right on the very edge of the frame, so it's hard to notice.  Long story short: Anything you want the viewer to clearly see needs to be away from the edges.

Speaking of bullet hits, they need work.  It looks like you took some large explosion footage and scaled it way down.  Bullet hits don't balloon out like large fireballs do.  They should be quicker, snappier.  If that pole is metal, you'll want to add some sparks.  Also make sure to add lingering damage marks where they hit.

Your disappear/reappear effects are pretty basic.  Because you're removing/adding your entire body, the effect should be larger IMO, but not just a larger flare.  I forget who did this, but another HitFilm user created a video where he shared several dozen such effects, some as original concepts, others as recreations of effects from existing sci-fi/fantasy properties.  It's worth tracking it down to see the variety of options you can use.  The general pattern to notice is that the vast majority are more than just placing a flare over the instant (dis)appearance of the character.  Most cover or involve the full body to some degree.  If you can't find that video, a general YouTube search for such effects will give you plenty of ideas to pull from.

•  @jsbarrett Actually this was just a test video for something I am making later. Also the teleport is actually going back in time. I don't know if you noticed, but there is blood on me and I went back in time to get rid of the blood. And the bullet hits were actually sparks shooting out that I got from Hitfilm's stock footage. (Stormtrooper video). I don't know why they made it shrink back.

• @Eliezerlow312: Thanks for the info. I couldn't see the blood, at least partly because you're halfway out of frame and obscured by the YouTube playback controls like I said above.

Re: the bullet hits, I can see the sparks more clearly now after further review, but the fireball part is what feels off.  A bullet ricocheting off a metal pole won't make a fireball like that.  It'll be pretty much sparks-only.  Also, a bullet hitting that wall probably would not make sparks at all because of the wall's material.  Each bullet hit needs to be considered separately to determine if you need sparks, flames, dust, debris, etc.  Don't just take a single bullet hit effect and apply it to all hits.  The reason that effect you used works in the stormtrooper video is because it's a laser blast hitting a metal wall.  The wall is going to burn a bit, in addition to throwing off sparks, so it's an appropriate treatment.  In your case, you have the sound of two normal gunshots, which means you're dealing with simple metal bullets, and the impacts are on a metal pole, and a non-metal wall.  The effects are going to be very different in those situations.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

To be pedantic, bullets are lead, and they don't spark. At all. All bullet sparks are unrealistic, and done to look cool. ;-) 

• While you say they're mainly done for the cool effect, bullet sparks are apparently real thing, at least according to the folks answering the "do bullets make sparks" question in this thread.  Interesting read:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/30556-simple-q-do-bullets-make-sparks-when-they-hit-x-y-z.html

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Yeah, and after reading that thread I notice that what's usually said it "guess the steel must be sparking." Ok, Steel Jacketed ammo CAN (rarely) spark, and so can a tracer round, but those are very rare cases (and in limited ammo types.)

Actually, I can deal with sparking bullets. The one that really makes me roll my eyes is the shotgun blast hurling the target across the room. We'll just ignore the third Law of Motion, shall we, Hollywood?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Copper and lead are non-sparking materials but they are soft and easily abraded. When a copper jacketed bullet hits a hard target like plate steel there's a massive amount of energy concentrated in a very small area. This translates into a lot of heat at the point of impact. Tiny fragments can actually super heat to the point of ignition. 

A round going through a thin steel plate, like a body panel on a car, won't generate quite as much heat on impact because the round can penetrate but it will abrade as it passes through the steel. The abrasion process can shave off and supper heat tiny fragments to the point of ignition.

Lastly, some ammo constructions can cause the formation of salts on the exterior of the cartridge. Wolf ammunition has a steel case and a bimetal copper jacketed bullet. The dissimilar metals create galvanic corrosion and the precipitation of cupric salts on the surface of the cartridge. Cupric salts are used to color fireworks so once they form, your bullet is basically a sparkler looking for a place to happen.

Years back when I bought my Kimber 1911, it came with 5000 rounds of Wolf ammo. I still have some because I won't shoot it during dry summer months because of the sparks and potential fire hazard.

• So, instead of talking about different types of bullets making sparks (which doesn't really matter since you can see the bullet), can some people give me ideas on spicing up this short clip?

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment