Corporate storytelling videomaking

Discussing with a design company what will be needed in term of components, time and professionals to achieve something similar to that

Being the protagonist of this "benchmark" video a London company, and reading here many comments from competent videomakers I was curios to know someone else opinion.

The video - if ever - will be created for an Italian company so only above topics will be applicable, costs will need to be localized.

Comments

• Well, from a technical standpoint, the footage, effects, and transitions in this example are simple and could easily be accomplished with Hitfilm or other similar editing/effects software and a limited video gear. Their isn't even any dialogue to capture in the example.  The "hard" part of this is scripting the story out and designing the shots that will be used. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Pretty much what Cowboy Nob said. Most of this is about the practical. This will be hard to budget until the concept and shot list are firmed up. Presumably this could be shot in the office (free location) with existing staff (meaning this might possibly be considered a "normal workday," or cheap to "free" talent.). Possibly mostly free props. 

Which means set budget is lights and camera mounts. 

Editing? I'd probably use a lens blur in post. Nothing was a shallow DOF shot. 

Just get proper images for screen inserts (green with markers). Actually, if possible, I almost recommend green card for screens, depending on the lighting. An actual green image on a screen casts green light that can become spill issues. For something like the OTS monitor shots in the demo vid where the talent never occludes the screen, use the actual screen insert if possible, or something close in color. You can use a corner pin to replace/clean up the camera image, but light spill would be the actual color of the screen insert, saving grading later. 

Lighting style in the source video is flat and diffused. Go look up Film Riot episodes on DIY Diffusion. They have great tips for cheap rigs. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Using a screen cap from a Windows 10 system running what looks to be SolidWorks for an imac screen replacement is just bad form in my opinion.

Now on actually doing it for the most part I agree with @CowboyBob and @Triem23. Where I'm different is I don't know that I would fool with green cards or using the actual screen replacement. With the camera locked off I think I would just mask and I've had good luck using Caustics as a glass replacement to add a dash of depth and a touch of spill

• Many thanks for the expert suggestions.

Do you think a small 1-2 crew will be enough, or something more extensive will be needed. In your opinion will be enough standard professional FullHD cameras or 4k is necessary. Also about light this is something I really didn't have any knowledge, how complex is the setup for an indoor shot such as this one.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Aladdin4d I never thought of Caustics for screen replacement... So, you'd use the insert as the bottom depth image under a gray plane? It's a great idea. You could even feed another image as an environment map for screen reflection. 

• @Triem23

Cowboy Nob

Best typo ever

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Triem23 Exactly. This is with a depth of 20 and Refractive Index of 1.51 for a cell phone screen. 

I didn't spend any time working up a good environment map for this, I was just going back and forth with @Palacono at the time, but yeah a good environment map really helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=BTsSeg9b1eA

I've done that a couple of times since but unfortunately I can't show an example because it was for clients and I don't have rights to show them.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment