Importing animated GIF Images?

Hi,
I have an animated gif I would like to use with hitfilm.  However, when I import it, it only shows the first frame  when I play through it on the timeline.  How can I make the entire animation play?

Comments

• Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Hitfilm treats GIF's as an single image file rather than a video. You will most likely need to use another program to convert the GIF to an image sequence (or some other video format).
  • I'm pretty sure rgbii is correct.  Most programs I know of treat gifs as a single image.  To convert you would need to use something like photoshop to import it correctly and then export an image sequence instead of an animated gif.
  • AdyAdy Staff
    edited August 2015
    Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Hitfilm treats GIF's as an single image file rather than a video. You will most likely need to use another program to convert the GIF to an image sequence (or some other video format).
    I'm pretty sure rgbii is correct.  Most programs I know of treat gifs as a single image.  To convert you would need to use something like photoshop to import it correctly and then export an image sequence instead of an animated gif.

Richard & Mandalorian are indeed correct.  :) 

• Not quite correct. Sony Vegas, After Effects, XN View, are all able to play animated gifs. Xara Designer can export them.  Hell, even Windows Movie Maker can import animated gifs. 

• Something to work on then? ;)

• How sad it is, in 2017, I still can't find a way to import gifs into HitFilm Express4!

• There is a way. (get hopes up.) I saw a tutorial on this in the past month or so. But, (dash hopes) sorry, I can't remember where I saw it. It is a conversion to multiple cells or frames then import as. Maybe someone else can remember. But it is there and I will keep looking. (keep hope alive.)

•  Ok, I did a search and found it. Shiny Films has a tutorial. I hope this helps.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHDTbLp3y6c

• Hye, thanks a ton!! I have been wanting to create something amazing with gifs and layering.

You seem to be so much full of love and light. Thanks!
    P.S: A very warm invite to check my experiments with hitfilm at YouTube.com/doveranalyst

• I have Windows 10 and i can´t find the folder that has all those pictures. They only go to WinRAR or go to my files as seprated pictures.

What do i do?

• @jokurandom1 What folder "that has all those pictures" are you referring to?  What pictures?

• edited August 23

You could perhaps try somewhere like https://ezgif.com/split (first thing that came up in a Google search, might be rubbish; didn't check) to turn the GIF into single frames, then load the individual frames in as an Image Sequence into Hitfilm.

Edit: Yep, works fine. I'd try an Ad blocker though, nothing is for nothing on sites like that. ;)

• I always go to https://ezgif.com/split and split the gif into frames. Then i press Download frames as ZIP (and it asks what i wanna do whit it and i always press download). But it downloads it all to WinRAR. I can download those frames  to my files but it doesn´t put them into a folder (yes it puts it to my downloaded files put i don´t count that right now (should i?)) or anything. It just principally  makes every frame into it´s own picture. And when i put one of those pictures (from that gif) to Hitfilm it just leaves it as a pic... I´m not that smart to realise what i did wrong or what i didn´t do.

My home language isn´t english so i propably  wrote soomething wrong... Don´t mind it.

• @jokurandom1 ;The process you're using to extract the frames sounds like it works fairly well to start.  Before doing that, save yourself some time and make your own folder where the pictures can live after downloading and extracting the Zip file with WinRAR.  This will come in handy later.

Once the image files are extracted to that folder, follow the instruction above from @Palacono to use Import -> Image Sequence (in the Media tab) to bring them all into HitFilm.  Unlike some other software that imports sequences, though, you don't select the first file in the sequence.  Instead, you choose the folder that contains the sequence, which is another reason to make that folder I mentioned above.

• You know i can´t do this... I´m not so smart.

Bye!

Sign in to comment