Creating Transparent Videos?

Hi all, thanks for HitFilm.

I'm trying the software for a specific reason.   I want to do what I think is called "green screen".   

1) Create a talking head video with green background.  (I'll be doing this in CrazyTalk).

2) Import to Hitfilm, convert green to transparent.

3) Place transparent talking head video on top of a video background.  (I can do this in Quicktime, or maybe Hitfilm)

4) Export both layers to a single video.

If members can explain how to do this, or link to a tutorial, I'd be most grateful.  Thanks!

Comments

• Yup.  Green screen is what you're thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1ayXCMXj4s

• Thanks for your speedy reply. 

Well, there must be a simpler method.  What I've learned from the video is that I'm probably looking for a simple basic app dedicated to green screen.  Click on the green, press the "Make Transparent" button, something like that.  Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Will continue to investigate HitFilm now that I've got it set  up.  Still using a ten year old version of iMovie here, so much to learn.

• @PhilTanny  I don't know about you, but dropping a chroma key effect from the Keying folder under effects onto the clip containing the green screen and setting the color dropper to that green is about as close to one button keying as you can get, I think.

• edited March 2017

@tddavis Yeah, that's what I was going to say.  There's a few ways to green screen in Hitfilm, and the easiest and most "idiot-proof" is the Color Difference Key.  Drop it on the footage in your comp and select "green", and voila, you're (probably) done.  The Chroma Key effect is more powerful, but both of them allow you to fine-tune your key after the fact to correct any issues that crept in during filming.  That's where any perceived complexity comes in, imho - but if you shot your footage properly you shouldn't have to do much of anything at all.

Adding in some third-party software tool is definitely not going to make the process simpler.

Here's a tutorial I made that touches on the topic.  Jump to the 3-minute mark for the greenscreen part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRISbqUJjpo

• @SteveKarstensen  You know, after the fact I realized I usually use the Color difference myself, but I was going through a test before I typed and I grabbed Chroma first and it worked so I just went with it.  BTW, the screen I had with my newest granddaughter laying on it had tons of wrinkles and it was perfect out of the box.  I'll have to experiment more with the Chroma to see what the differences truly are.  But you are right, lighting is paramount!

• Not to argue, but just noting, the tutorial vid at top of thread is almost 20 minutes long.  But your point is taken, if this wasn't the very first thing I was trying to do in Hitfilm it would probably appear much easier.

In any case, I've since learned how to make transparent videos in the app I'm working in (CrazyTalk) and so this problem is solved.  Don't need Hitfilm for this particular task.

Now I need to learn a better way to combine the transparent video with the background video.  Will start a new thread on that. 

Thanks guys!

• Now I need to learn a better way to combine the transparent video with the background video.  Will start a new thread on that. 

Um.  Both the video I originally linked, and the second video I posted, do exactly that.  You should probably actually do the research, because if you do start a new thread I can guarantee you someone is going to link you to one of the (numerous) green screen tutorials available on Hitfilm's channel.

Let me save you the trouble; here is the entire process from beginning to end.

1. Create your footage in Crazytalk with a solid green background.
    2. Import your footage into Hitfilm.
    3. Create a composite shot out of the footage.  On Windows, that's right-clicking on the clip and selecting "Create Composite Shot".
    4. Switch to the Effects tab.  Go into the Keying folder and select "Color Difference Key".
    5. Drag the effect onto your footage.
    6. Import your background footage.
    7. Drag it into the composite shot, then drag it under your keyed footage.
    8. You're done.

Sign in to comment