Shaken, not stirred-

Well now,... I've put together a composite shot with several masks in place and I now need to provide a camera shake.

Here's the scene:  we're on the bridge of a starship in battle,... shot in full lighting.  I've gone in, for this short clip, and dimmed down the overall lighting, using masks to create up-angle "interactive" bridge console lighting on the actors.  I have another mask in place to prevent the background readouts, on the walls, from dimming with the rest of the bridge.

The only thing parented to anything are two console-up-lit crew faces, which are the top layers.

How can I now add a camera shake without everything going out of register (which it seems to want to, when I tried it)

Ideas?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Put shake on a grade layer at the top of the stack? 

•  I'll give that a try... thanks.  Also, I just saw, in the "Hitfilms Effects Library", posted last year,... that I can, apparently, apply 'shake' to the entire composite shot in the editor timeline, effecting every layer equally - so I'll try both  :-)

• Okay, here's what I discovered:  Adding shake to the composite shot, in the editor, applies that effect to the entire clip with no keyframing.  Adding it to a grade layer, as you suggested, allows me to keyframe the shakes (hits from enemy weapons) as needed.

Thank you so much for your help-

@DesignR correct. As a general note, you cannot keyframe anything in the Editor Timeline (exception--Audio track levels with the Audio Mixer Panel in HF2017). Which is why I suggested the grade layer. 

• Well, it worked,... thank you.

So, I've put the piece on a YouTube page, not accessed by the public, but available to anyone who sees this.

This is a section from a teaser-trailer of a project for which I provided Designs.  The bridge scene was all greenscreen, composited with a CG background by another fellow.  In Hitfilm, I added the red elements (into the blacked-out moment) along with my first attempt to create 'sparks' during that moment - and I do need help on those.

The following close-up scene is the one I just completed (discussed above, as the topic of this discussion) so you can see how that turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQASXGScyXQ

I know I have a long way to go, these being my first efforts using Hitfilm, so I wanted to thank you again for your help-

Video is currently set to "Private." Change that to" Unlisted" so we can see it. :-) 

• edited March 2017

Dang,... sorry 'bout that - it's up, now-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQASXGScyXQ

• ooh, very nice...

•  Thanks,... the real Hitfilm "magic" is the close-up scene, with the under-lit faces - originally a fully-lighted scene.

Sign in to comment