3D Model Importing (Hitfilm 4 Express)

edited July 2016 in Express Support

I have hitfilm 4 express and I am trying to import a 3d model (.obj)  but everytime I import it, it says file not supported. HELP!

Comments

• Need Pro to 3d model, right @Triem23?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Yup. 3D models and the Particle Sim are the two big-big Pro only features.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Yes you need HitFilm 4 Pro to import 3D models. 

• Is it not possible for OP to have purchased the 3D model import feature on Express 3 and it carried over to Express 4?

@KevinTheFilmmaker Miner joined this forum on July 19 of this year. Chances are he is a new user with only HF4. Otherwise he would have asked why his add-on from HF3 wasn't working.

Miner, as Kevin has noted, HF3e had a 3D models add-on. This was discontinued in HF4e, and the HF3e add-on is no longer available, so, yes, 3D models are now a Pro-Only feature.

Suggesting that 3D models be added to HF4e won't get you anywhere as 3D models were made a Pro-Only feature specifically to differentiate the products.

• Thank you for your help!

• I started using HF4 a couple of days ago. There is an add on pack called BorisFx 3D Objects which can be purchased to extend HF4 for importing 3D models. 

• @jareddar - not quite. There is no way to import 3D models into HitFilm 4 Express, and no add-on pack that adds that functionality. Boris 3D Effects adds the ability to create 3D text within HitFilm.

• edited August 2016

Yeah, it's slightly confusingly named and the documentation is a little scattered and you need to make allowances for it primarily being written for AE.

edited August 2016

@Palacono  Functionality, control names and values are exactly the same between the Hitfilm and AE versions, so it just comes down to how confused one is by the slightly different UI. ;-) 

This puts Hitfilm users in the same boat as Boris's Vegas, Avid, Final Cut, Motion, etc users. ;-) 

edited August 2016

.@Palacono ;

Some official tutorials:

https://vimeo.com/search?q=bcc+3d+objects

And the documentation is getting a little better:

Type on Text

Extruded EPS

Extruded Text

Extruded Spline

Layer Deformer

Searching for stuff on the individual items like Extruded EPS instead of just BCC 3D Objects will turn up other stuff too like this:

http://www.studiodaily.com/2010/12/create-an-animated-3d-extruded-logo/

• Thanks, both. Have edited my post. Note to self: don't post while grumpy....so that would be most of the time... :)

edited August 2016

@Palacono

LOL! I don't use LOL lightly I really did laugh out loud at that and got a couple of strange looks too. Oops. Good thing I wasn't in a courtroom..........

Anyway yeah Boris could have organized things better but there is some useful stuff out there.

• edited August 2016

@Aladdin4d don't drink while reading then...ruined keyboard..splattered screen.  ;)

Well, it was the lack of anything out there that wasn't from Adobe  to create EPS files, that I found limiting. A couple of websites take in images and export them as .eps or .ai files, but results were....mixed. The actual text stuff is good though.

@Palacono don't overlook Layer Deformer. That can duplicate the Hitfilm Sphere filter, but reactive to lights (easy Planet, sci-fi folks?) and do cylinders (warp tunnels!) and fun twisty things. And the Shatter, which has more options than the Hitfilm Shatter effect. 

edited August 2016

@Grumpy @Palacono

How to Produce Vector EPS with CMYK Color Using Free Software

General list of non-Adobe programs with EPS export (Mainly Windows)

Xara Designer Pro

Inkscape (see first link)

Scribus (see first link)

Microsoft Word  & Publisher

Corel DRAW

ACD Systems Canvas

MagicTracer

OpenOffice Draw 

LibreOffice Draw

And finally the cheapskate  a way  to generate EPS files from all kinds of programs. Add a PostScript printer and print to file. 

http://www.file-extensions.org/article/how-to-install-a-virtual-postscript-printer-in-windows

If you follow those directions there's one additional thing that must be done and another optional thing that's probably a good idea.

What must be done - Right click your newly installed printer and select Printing properties. Click the Advanced tab then the Printing Defaults button. In the window that opens click the Advanced tab. Expand the "Driver" section and set the PostScript Output Option: to Encapsulated PostScript (EPS). Now just below that window twirl open the Saved Settings drop down and select "Save As", choose a spiffy name like "EPS Output" and click OK.

The optional thing - Also on the Advanced tab under Advanced Settings set Margins to None and save as above. 

Now you can export EPS files from basically anything that prints but be aware your mileage will vary.

When you do print Windows will want to save the file with a .prn extension so you have to choose all files and put in .eps yourself in the save dialog. Also make sure your default settings are the EPS Output preset you saved and if not choose that preset. 

• edited August 2016

@Aladdin4d Hmmm..... ;)

That's a lot of good info for people who'll need it even if they aren't a cheapskate. Which totally describes me, BTW. :D

I either buy two of something for a backup and never use the second before they're both obsolete and worthless (hardware mainly) or save money everywhere I can so I can afford to do that... I know there's a flaw in that argument, but the day I only buy one of something and it breaks: I'll be stuffed. 

I have Word, so might give that a try and will have a look at Inkscape, as I noticed it came up on several lists of 'best free software' recently etc.

@Triem23 Cool; not really explored those myself, but good to know.

• @Palacono As a matter of fact yes, I am a cheapskate ;)

• What about animating objects in blender with a green screen colored background and then just using a green screen effect on the exported footage

Blender is free

• @njosey4740  I used Blender in this way until I discovered that you can check alpha setting in the render settings and render as PNG frames and then you don't need to have any sort of background; just the object sitting there in 3D space and it renders transparent.  So no keying will be needed and I just import the image sequence.  Saved me a few steps.

• Yes!  Always render with Alpha.  In fact if you have options to render a video file in 32bit that will give you alpha, as well.  Depending on your 3D software package you may see the Alpha option listed as 32bit, Alpha, 4:2:0:4 or 4:2:2:4.

Arguably 32-bit (RGBA) PNG sequences are the optimum intermediate. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited March 2017

Triem23 is absolutely right there, for best quality.

• @Stargazer54   So THAT's why I could never get alpha video!  Color me embarassed...and clueless.  I never thought about changing the bit settings in the video.  Thanks for that tip.

• @tddavis i never thought of doing that but that would work so ok

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment