Export project for working on other computer

Hi,

I want to save a project that I work on my home computer and continue working on that same project on laptop.

how can I export/save a project so I could continue working on the go?

exporting all files and images etc.

TNX

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited March 2017

Hitfilm doesn't have an "archive" function that moves all assets into a project folder for you. I suggest planning out your workflow and project setup to make your life easier. 

My projects are set up like so:

I have a folder named "Project Template. " Inside the project template folder I have the following folders: 3D Models, Source Video, Source Graphics, Source Audio, Library,  Outline/Script/Notes, Prerenders, Final Renders, VO Recording,  EDLs. Source Video has subfolders for: Camera 01, Camera 02, Camera 03. Library has subfolders for Audio, Video ang Graphics. 

In the Options Screen I have Hitfilm set to remember "Relative File Paths."

When I start a new Project I copy/paste my Template folder and rename the duplicate with the Project name. Now I have subfolders set up consistently across each project. 

Source Audio, Video and Graphics  contain assets recorded or created for the project. Library contains copies of any media being reused from an old project or from my stock libraries. EDLs holds Hitfilm (and/or Vegas) project files. 3D Models contains copies of any Models used. Final Renders is where my Export goes, while Prerenders is anything I've rendered out to re-import. 

Yes, this means for something like my Hitfilm University tutorials I do have a copy of the same music files, lower thirds and logos stored in every episode's project folder. Drive space is cheap, and, in the future if I return to an old episode I don't have to track down anything from anywhere else. 

This file structure makes it easy to transfer a project between computers or return to an old project that's been archived years later. 

Anyways, for your current project its going to be up to you to gather all assets, move them to the new drive and relink them. 

In future projects, I suggest taking the time to organize a consistent file structure and get into the habit of moving/coping/placing media in the proper folders as you go. A little extra work up front will make your life easier later. 

• Good idea,

I'll try this

TNX

• edited March 2017

As far as I know, no one has actually done a tutorial on this subject. Usually, the tutorials are "how to get started with HitFilm," but no one really goes into the pre-planning and/or organization of the assets relative to HitFilm. Bravo, Triem23, even though many variations on your folder hierarchy will invariably be/are used, you shall have given many who are truly new in not only HitFilm but using an NLE in general a lesson in how to prepare to edit. Granted, I know that there are a lot of users looking at this going, "well, organizing your assets first is common sense," but, being honest, how many of use have put the cart before the horse in our excitement to learn something new? I know I have. Seriously, I think you should do a "starting from zero" tutorial about organizing one's assests before going off half-cocked.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Pencilandinc oh, I shall eventually do a tutorial, but I'm getting through basic Hitfilm functionality before I detour to workflow. :-l

• That sounds as a really consistent  and convenient way of saving project files Triem23! I used to make 4/5 submaps with video/pictures/3D/Hitfilm but that always gets messy after a while. I will try to follow your set up, thanks!

Sign in to comment