"Contents of File Cannot be Read" Error

Twice now I have lost loads of work to the malicious hands of "Hitfilm 3 Pro cannot open - the contents of the file cannot be read" error. I'm wondering what could be causing this to occur, as I had done nothing to the files to cause this to happen, they just (literally, overnight) stopped working, and gave me this error. Any causes/solutions to the problem would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Have you had trouble opening files in other programs, too, or ist this just HitFilm? Could you send over one of the files that can't be read anymore?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Are you sure you aren't facing an impending hard drive failure?

• I sure hope not  D:

• To confirm, what kind of files are you trying to open here? I'm assuming HitFilm project files, but you didn't specify.

If you are indeed talking about project files, this is something I've never encountered despite working on a ridiculous number of projects over the last 4 years. Not to say you're not having the problem - but it would suggest that something specific is likely to be causing the issue. 

• edited July 2015

Yes, they're HitFilm project files. Both files with which I've had the error have been larger files with more comps and media in them, but still not massive at all (one at 40.5MB, and the other at merely 1.65MB).

• same problem here. In my case, hitfilm crashed while saving the project file on our NAS. Then, i took a closer look into the .hfp file and it´s actually broken, it stops after "<Property name="hasVignette" vis="1"/></Project".  So - it seems that hitfilm stop writing and made the hfp file corrupt. Is there any tool  or workaround to fix such corrupt files? I know, some informations get lost, but as far as i can see - not so many. Otherwise, i lost a day of work :(

btw. i used the lastet version. 

• ...same here...there was a power outage and my laptop has no battery, so my computer went out. I saved the file constantly. When I went to open it up again, the file couldn't be read...all that work down the drain (?) ugh.

• @EnglishExpressions I'm sorry this has happened to you, please send us the file via the support system, we may be able to salvage your project file manually.

• Please help me. I'd written to support also. I'm facing the same issue.  

My hard river is a brand new 500 GB PCIE SSD.

So, there's no chance of a hard drive failure there. everything else is fine.

Loads of work in the project that I did with so much effort is just gone. Just like that. I'm using NVIDIA 960M 16 GB RAM 4GB VRAM, INTEL 6770 HQ.

Hitfilm express 4 crashes a ton of times but at least the project is saved when I open it again. This time it simply says that the project file contents cannot be read..

•  Same issue here. I am yet to hear a response.

• edited March 11

so you're telling me that i have been working on this project for hours days,months and i get this message "file cannot be read" and i cant do nothing about it to get it back? fucking retarded what a waste of time.

• edited March 15

Incremental saves are always a good idea no matter what software you are using.  I always "save as..." and add a revision numbers to the original file name and keep the last 5 revisions.  If something goes wrong with the current revision I can always go back to the previous one so at least I don't lose ALL my work should something go wrong.

• +1 for @TTSProd statement good practice. I thought somewhere Hitfilm had started to implement this as an option?

• I am having the problem as well, and it never occurred until after I had made files within in the project to organize myself more. I don't know if that is the reason why that project file isn't working; however,  If  there is any way or attempt I can get this problem fixed please let me know. If not, I still think Hitfilm is a great program, and I've learned a lot from it, thank you.

• The same has happend too me, Iv been working on it for days and it was nearly done. Can any one help please!

• @GHendo Notice that the answer above from HitFilm staff was to submit a support ticket, which is probably what you should do as well.

Sign in to comment