Few Bugs discovered in HF2017

Comments

• @Efrainf this isn't the easiest forum to search. There's another thread on this error, specifically mentioning the Iris transition, but that's currently a few pages down. It's all good. :-) 

• @Efrainf @Triem23 yes this transition bug is fixed internally and will come in update 1 (very) soon ;)

Sorry about the inconvenience

• Update 1 installed.

I'm still unable to proxy some comps. I've got one with about 20 3D FBX models, 1 ambient lightm 2 directional lights, one other comp with image, all layers set to 3d unroled.

After render a proxy I get error. I've found a log, but there is not much information:

10.12.2016 - 16:24:17 : conforming audio took 130 ms
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:17 : creating comp took 0 ms
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:17 : creating the exporter delegate took 1 ms
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:17 : creating the exporter took 2 ms
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:17 : Started
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:32 : exporting took 17.125 sec
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:32 : Finishing
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:32 : The media file could not be found.
    10.12.2016 - 16:24:32 : Error

After this error I can't cancel proxy. I found the HitFilmRenderClient process holds this file, so I can't cancel it. The process is used 0% cpu and about 120 MB of ram. After killing this process I can remove proxy.

It would be helpful if log would point to the media name which can't be found... and why it can't be found if my comp is render properly in HitFilm?

• Have you got lots of free space on the target drive for the proxies?

I've got a 128Gb SSD drive as render target for everything. Sometimes, being lazy or forgetful, I don't always remove things from it. You'd be surprised at the number of programs that lose their sh!t about not having enough space, but can't actually articulate that with a proper error message.

• edited December 2016

Over 1 TB, I think it's a lot ;).

try
    {

Hitfilm also crashes each time I want to stop ram preview rendering. I can't use proxy so I must render whole 3D scene to ram to watch what I am doing. Pause button does not respond as I mention earlier if scene is very complex, when rendering 1 frame takes about 1s to complete. Anyone tried to do the ram preview such scene and stop rendering? When I want to brake it by alt+tab or Alt+L Hitfilm crashes. Many dumps sent.

}
    catch()
    {
       // if You know what I mean ;)
    }

• edited December 2016

@Palacono "You'd be surprised at the number of programs that lose their sh!t about not having enough space, but can't actually articulate that with a proper error message."

I'll admit some guilt articulating disk errors in some of my stuff. Later corrected after something weird was reported.

Interesting thing is that some filesystems will not return an error code in all disk full situations. You get an error status of zero (no error) and the returned written amount is less than you told it to write. You need to interpret that as disk full and as an error.

•  Ok I give up. Now it crashes on making composite shot from video footage with some masks created with mocha plugin. I even try with new simple project:
    one gopro cineform video, 720p@50fps
    add mocha plugin, launch, track some mask, close mocha
    apply mask to video footage
    make composit shot with Move to composite option selected
    it crashed after enter on new composite or when closing new comp's window

Working with HF is like being a sapper. You push wrong button or in wrong order... You're crashed. And starting from last save, until last save will fail. I guess I wont finish my new movie :(.

• After installing Update 1, I still seem to be having the "UI issue" (#3 from the original post).  Anyone else experiencing the same?

•  Same here. The proportioning of the text labels and the control itself (e.g sliders) is still, IMO, pretty bad compared to Hitfilm 4. I don't need a 5 inch long slider just to be able to read a text label. Some text labels never become readable no matter how big the controls panel is sized.

• edited December 2016

@Onixarts I'm sorry for all the trouble you are having. I tried reproducing the issues you described but unfortunately I can't get HitFilm to crash, everything seems to be working properly. Maybe I am not doing one step that you are? Could you be a bit more specific as to the steps you are doing or maybe send us some of your test project files?

• @Onixarts I haven't tried to duplicate your project yet because when I tried to play your clip I couldn't. I got a black screen and weird sounding audio. MediaInfo reported a duration of 2 Minutes and 22 seconds which is of course wrong. The bit rate also looked wrong. Looking at the full report it's the audio that's the source of the weird duration and bit rate. 

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\User\Downloads\MVI_0819 cineform.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 26.6 MiB
    Duration : 2mn 22s
    Overall bit rate : 1 569 Kbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : CineForm
    Codec ID : CFHD
    Codec ID/Info : CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet)
    Duration : 2s 640ms
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 50.000 fps
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.033
    Stream size : 495 KiB (2%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Duration : 2mn 22s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 26.1 MiB (98%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 20 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 1054 ms

VirtualDub opened the clip and played it back fine so I did a direct stream copy to a new AVI. MediaInfo now reports the duration and bit rate correctly and it plays correctly in everything I've tried so far.

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\User\Videos\MVI_0819 cineform_TC.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 26.6 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 84.4 Mbps
    Writing library : VirtualDub build 35491/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : CineForm
    Codec ID : CFHD
    Codec ID/Info : CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet)
    Bit rate : 82.8 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 50.000 fps
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.797
    Stream size : 26.1 MiB (98%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 495 KiB (2%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 24 ms (1.22 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

Corrected file is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1umz30rbs9w7bz5/MVI_0819 cineform_TC.avi?dl=0

• @Onixarts Thanks, I can reproduce it here, I've logged it as a high priority bug. With Christmas coming and people going on holiday, I don't think we'll be able to fix this before the new year though.

In the meantime, you can export the shape data and import it as a hitfilm composite shot. This will create a HitFilm mask and shouldn't crash (this is what I tried this morning and I suspect that nobody here tried to do move the effect with the comp shot).

Have you got any more info on the other issues? I couldn't reproduce the ram preview nor the proxy issues

• @CedricBonnier Ram preview issue is related to slow frame rendering on massive 3D scenes (added 3 lights on scene, few simple 3d objects and few particle simulators). It happens when single frame rendering times takes few seconds. Then moving on timeline frame by frame take few seconds, so when I run ram preview the pause/stop button is blocked by render process. When I hold pause shortcut it crashes HF.

About proxy, I can only tell for now, I have chenged default locations from C:\... to E:\... harddrive. There are no permission restrictions on that drive. maybe after proxy generated  some code looks for proxy in default location... But sometimes it works, in simplest projects.

• Aladdin4d I don't know why this values are wrong. I've compressed raw canon 70d footage with cineform export in HitFilm.

But it is not a reason, corrected file also crashed HF.

• @Onixarts The corrected file didn't stop the crash but it did change it for me, With the original it would crash right away and with the corrected one I could actually scrub through the comp or do something else before crashing. 

• edited December 2016

@CedricBonnier "In the meantime, you can export the shape data and import it as a hitfilm composite shot. This will create a HitFilm mask and shouldn't crash (this is what I tried this morning and I suspect that nobody here tried to do move the effect with the comp shot)."

I did exported shape data (with about 12 shapes), then import it back as composite shot. So there are 12 planes with masks so I want to speed up a little and make proxy from this CS. Same "Media file could not be found" error on 100%. I've tried to run HF as admin, still the same. What are the original proxy, cache and database paths. Maybe it just don;t work when it is different than default settings. I've changed it to other drive after installation.

Edited: I've opened this mocha shapes in new project and it proxy is creating correct. So I don't know why the same proxy is not render correctly in other, more complicated project.

Here is this situation recorded:

https://youtu.be/aDRouhzdylc

Edit2: After another 2 hours of testing, removing layers one by one I found the problem. It's the MOCHA PLUGIN. If mocha plugin is added to one of the composite shot, doesn't matter which one, rendering proxy fails - even if it is completely different comp. When I removed all 10 mocha effects from layers in few comps, proxy renders with success. I can reproduce this in simple test project.

I should get some HF price discount or other gift for being a tester and found this bugs... I should use the software, not testing it. My Christmas video was not completed by this bug. Dozen people, including actors disappointed. Now I can workaround this, but few days to late ;|.

• @Onixarts thank you very much for doing all this testing. I will have a look at it when I get back in the office. As you can imagine it is going to be fairly quiet in the office for the next few days, most people are on holiday.

I'm sorry that you missed your deadline because of this. We did test mocha plugin and proxy extensively as both have changed a lot between versions 4 and 5. Unfortunately that bug slipped through the net and went out to you guys, sorry.

Regarding the refund or discount, it is not up to me, you will have to contact support for that.

• @CedricBonnier I know that. I'm on vacation too ;)

• Undo not Updating Viewer

Read through this thread and don't see issue I'm getting so posting it up.

I find when I am experimenting with effects and select options within usually pre-set or other pull downs, it applies ok (well it does something at least) but undo doesn't remove the visual from the viewer. It does remove the effect as if I save after the undo and then reload HF2017 it doesn't show.

Re-opening the project doesn't fix it either, only reloading HF2017 and then opening the project.

• Hi I've recently gotten hitfilms 2017 and i have run into two errors one on start up with it for a missing DLL file, and another dealing with the boris fx library failing to create a directory. The exact message for the directory is Failed to created Directory C:\Program files\Boris FX,Inc\Lib\BCC OFX 10\ Filter Sets\. Any help in trouble shooting these issues would be appreciated

• @acbdc82 Could you be a bit more specific about the missing DLL file? A screenshot would be appreciated.

Regarding the BCC error, we have notified BorisFX and are waiting for a new build from them fixing the issue.

• edited January 2017

Okay heres a uploaded image of the error as requested

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu4cjpzdke102nc/Screenshot%202017-01-05%2011.55.16.png?dl=0

I attached it to a my dropbox and it should open a new window when the link is clicked on

• Well, I was working today few hours in HitFilm and surprise... it didn't crash :). Just have to export mocha shapes to comp, remove mocha plugin from layer and then making proxy. Mocha as plugin is great, so voting for fix "mocha with proxy issue" in nearest update :).

I was wonder many times, in Mocha at export window there is copy to clipboard button. Is it working with HitFilm?

• @acbdc82 have you got an antivirus? Could you please try to uninstal HitFilm, disable your antivirus then reinstall HitFilm?

@Onixarts copy to clipboard isn't supported in HitFilm yet, it's on the list though :)

• Don't forget my previous bug report on corrupted viewer but I have another annoying one for you.

Keyframes.

When you have "Constant" selected and then click new keyframe it creates "Linear" instead.

I have to then click the keyframe then click the Constant keyframe icon to correct. 

• Found one more proxy bug. When proxy is rendering in background for comp2 I can't edit other comp1 already proxied. HF displays message "Could not remove the proxy media directory". Every change on comp1 while comp2 rendering is in progress ends with that window. Must cancel proxy task or wait for finish.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Onixarts that's not a proxy bug, that's a limitation of the system. 

• @Triem23 What is the purpose for deleting other comp proxy directory?  Canceling one proxy should not try to delete any directory which is in use by other process, and this is not a system limitation itself, it's an error in code.

Someone did proxy render in another process for a reason, to make job in background. What's the point of making background renderer if it blocks user working in Hitfilm with completely different comp? ;)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Onixarts Because the entire point of the proxy system is you're done fiddling with it and you're ready to prerender to make that element faster as an embedded comp or on the editor timeline. If you're still editing, that's what RAM preview is for. As a background process, proxy creation and deletion only allows for a single thread at a time. Editing a proxied clip invalidates the proxy requiring unlink and deletion. That's asking a single thread process to do two things at once. The instant Comp B finishes proxying Comp A's proxy will cheerfully invalidate. 

This discussion has been closed.