Why So Expensive?

So I just tested HF3 with Vegas 14 and it doesn't integrate. So I went to purchase the upgrade to HF4. 199$? WTF? I bought the thing for 299$ and the upgrade is 199$? Two thirds of the full price?
Are there promotions sometimes for the upgrades?

Comments

• It's a new product with a lot of updates and features. It costs money.

• edited September 2016

Also, HF4 has a higher price than HF3. $349 US.

I would not be surprised if the price increase is mostly due to the Boris 3D objects addition in HF4. FxHome has to pay Boris.

• Norman hits the nail on the head there. A lot of Hitfilm's cost goes to third parties: there are fees for AVCHD, and Dolby audio, Mocha, Boris and other aspects of the software. Last year There are uusually a couple of times a year when Hitfilm upgrades are on sale. Usually at the Pro and Express product launches (intro pricing). 

I couldn't give an exact number, but, last year I speculated FxHome made $50 from a $199 upgrade. Josh Davies said I had overestimated what FxHome made. They really are trying to keep the price as low as possible. 

• I think it's Boris too but I don't need that (not that it changes anything).

349$ is still is a very reasonable price for such a neatpiece of software. It's just that I'm used to upgrades that cost 25% to 40% of the full price. 199$ is more than 50% of the full price. What pisses me off even more is that I bought HF one week before the free upgrade window (a month and one week before HF4 came out).

Anyways. End of rant. I'll wait and see if there's a promotion.

Sign in to comment