How to recover a file from Autosave?

Where is the autorecovery folder? After I enter the program files and HitFilm Express, FXHome folder, where am I supposed to look at, for the autosaved filed?

Comments

• edited September 2016

My Autosave is set to the lowest 1 min. I save manually also. Which is why, this is so weird that although I had opened the file after the major addition and edits, everything has reverted to an older situation. And, I have a feeling I can get it back. The usual auto recover message had also not come. It just crashed.  It does crash a lot of times but I always get the autorecover and usually I'm good to go. 

Can anyone please help?? Thanks!!

• Pls help? Where should I look for Autosaved file in HItFilm Express?

• edited September 2016

Look in your "autosave" tab, where you set it to 1 mn. Just below is the path to the folder your saves are stored in (if any: my folder is empty...).

• Incidentally, saving every minute isn't actually the best oprion. When saving, Hitfilm stops whatever else it's doing to save your project files. You can actually lower performance or cause issues that way. You're better to put auto save around 10 minutes. 

• You don't need to retrieve the autosaved file. After a Crash, When you re-launch HitFilm it will auto-detect the auto saved file, and toss up a dialog saying so, and asking you if you want to save it. Just select yes, name the file, and you can carry on working from the auto-saved state.

• What if there was no such prompt and it reverted back to an older situation like three saves ago?

• Then there is no auto-saved file to retrieve. This could happen if HitFilm crashed during the auto-save process.

• Yes, that's exactly what used to happen to me!

If I'd get the autosaved file then that's not a problem, at all.

I was hopeful and worried about the project that I'd worked a lot on but there was no recovered file prompt.

YouTube: j.mp/subscribedoveranalyst

• I had a problem like this too. Hitfilm crashed, was reopened, popped up its dialog asking if I want to recover my autosaved project, but it popped up BEHIND another dialog about QuickTime not being installed (yeah, I don't think I need it; correct me if I'm wrong). I pressed Esc to close the QuickTime-related dialog, and it closed the dialog about recovering the project file instead, because that had stolen the window focus without my knowing it, and had only been open for maybe less than a second.

This should not happen; I would hope that Hitfilm would react more along the lines of "Wait a sec right there! Are you SURE you want to throw all this work away?! Dude! Shut up! I'm not throwing this work away until you click this 'YES GO AHEAD AND DELETE MY WORK PLEASE' confirmation button right here in this dialog!"

I wouldn't expect it to be worded literally like that, but hopefully you see my point.

(Also, yes, I know we should manually save frequently, but autosave is good for those times when it's been a while since we've saved)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment