Is it possible to mask an Animated Laser?

So, I've got a composite shot, and I want a laser to fire "behind" my actor.  I created a plane, added the Animated Laser effect to it, and then tried to mask out the part of the laser that was obscured by the actor... and nothing happened.  The mask drew properly, but didn't have any effect on the... effect.  I tried inverting the mask and the Subtract render mode, but nothing worked.

Is this possible?  I'm using HF3 Professional.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Try a grade layer instead of a plane. In Hitfilm masks apply before effects on planes but after effects on grade layers.

Or, duplicate your actor to a top layer and mask in where the actor overlaps. 

• In Hitfilm masks apply before effects on planes but after effects on grade layers.

Good to know.  Thanks!

• The order in which these things are applied is always the order in which they are listed in the Layer Controls panel. So if you ever forget, just check the Controls panel for your layer. If effects are higher up than masks, then they will be applied first.

• edited August 2016

@AxelWilkinson is it possible to alter that render order?  Because I don't think I've ever seen any layers with effects above masks.  Is it just for reference?

• Yes, you can alter the order any time you need to, by using embedded composite shots. For your example, if you embedded the plane with the laser effect into a new comp, then you can mask the cop, to apply a mask after the effect is created.

Sign in to comment