Thanks for all the fish

13»

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited May 2016

@SimonKJones Sorry, I wasn't going to get enough time to do "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" entry on Simon Jones ("...For reasons unknown, Simon Jones is frequently mistaken for Arthur Dent...").

You'll have to settle for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw5d00tSD80

Watching all of Simon's Hitfilm tutorials would take you close to ten hours. Watching all of Simon's tutorials would teach you everything shown... Except for one ocean shot. No Caustics tutorial... 

• edited May 2016

Wow this is great, it would make a great ad.

Also, I just realized nobody said it, 42!

• edited May 2016

Wow! Excellent!  I thought that I had watched all of Simon's videos, but apparently I have missed a few.

• Triem23 - Bravo! An excellent tribute to a most excellent dude! 

• Triem23 ......damn, that was awesome. :D

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator

Wow, very cool. I'd forgotten about half of those shots! This doesn't even cover all the pre-HitFilm material, either.

Let's just say I've done a lot of roto over the years.

edited May 2016

@SimonKJones I should note that I also didn't touch the Futurelearn courses, your own channel (I missed the crossbow bolt tutorial! Perfect for any Hawkeye fan-film!) or dig into short films. I would guess there's well over ten hours of tutorials from you. Maybe 12 or more? 

Ok, one more time. "How I discovered Hitfilm."

Sony had a sale. Got Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, Sound Forge 11 (I hadn't upgraded since 4.5) and other stuff. And Hitfilm came with mocha. Cheaper than stand alone camera trackers!  Or, the way I figured it, Mocha and Hitfilm for$499 and free stuff! (Including an SFX library I think Simon has.)

And here I am am, laid up with my left arm in a rigid brace, strapped into my cool cyborg shoulder rig, tubes tethering me to the blessed numbing coolness of circulating water from the portable cooler my insurance actually covered--the aftermath of having my left shoulder rebuilt after having a literal ton of wood fall on me from off a truck's liftgate--and deciding to play with Hitfilm. 

The first tutorial I view is Simon's 3D Space Nebula. 

So, I sit down and do the 3D Space Nebula. About 45 min, mouse only, first time in the software. 

I do it again in Vegas. Takes 25 min. I've used Vegas since day one. Also, couldn't do the particle steps. 

I do it again in BorisFx 8. It takes almost three hours. I'd used Boris for two years. 

And here it is. 

https://youtu.be/oSR4eu79YAQ

So. Getting those results from brand-new software that quickly with one hand impressed me. 

Second tutorial I watched was @AxelWilkinson 's Doctor Who tunnel. Wow! That's a cool particle sim! 

So, I devoured every Simon and Axel tutorial I could find, and, month later posted up a shot using mocha tracking, 3D compositing, models and particle systems interacting with the environment. 

First comment was from Simon with some (correct)color critiques, a complement on the scale, and recognition of the Thunderbolt. @RossTrowbridge and @StormyKnight also had some input. 

Which is how I got to this. 

https://youtu.be/ZBNzy_JwWFw

So, y'know it's nice to be part of a helpful community and Simon's always been an important part of that. We've still got the wonderful @KirstieT and @JoshDaviesCEO and Axel being the voices of the coolest company in VFX (don't tell my wife's cousin at Dreamworks I said that.), but there's no doubt that Simon's had a large voice. 

But we look forward to the continuance of his dulcet tones in reduced tempo. 

Also, my own answering of questions on here? It's largely remembering what Simon and Axel post or stated in tuts. 

• @SimonKJones ;hassle them about increasing playback speeds at full by enabling a live render or allowing more than 4gb ram cache haha

love you. 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

@Triem23 Late to the party, but damned good edit job on the Simon piece! 

Thanks for reminding us what HF can really do (and making me sad again to say goodby to SKJ).

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator

Thanks again, guys. Here's a little out-take from the filming of my last tutorial:

https://youtu.be/hsWYu_3KQ38

:)

• edited May 2016

Hey Simon, thank you so much for all of your work at Hitfilm . I have really enjoyed watching your videos over the years and have been a real inspiration for me. I do hope we will see you again sharing your amazing knowledge and talent. All the best for your new venture.

Cheers, Beers

Neil

• Awwwe, an empty chair.  @SimonKJones bye-bye, Tarn.

So since you won't be part of the staff anymore, will you be going back to the screen name Tarn?

• Nah, I'll stick with this screen name. :) I haven't gone by the name Tarn since...oh, before you were born.

Someone still has a Staff badge... ;-) 

They can't let you go. 

• Where's that "VIP" badge?

• @Simon: Wish you all the best !!

• edited June 2016

Late but I agree with previous posts, thanks for the fish! I've been using fxhome products since composite pro. Your Hitfilm tutorials are always easy to follow and understand. Thanks for your help and I wish you all the best. Maybe you can still work here part time :)

Good luck sir!

• Congrats. Thanks for the videos. 

https://youtu.be/TfwkTqO-hrM

That's a good one to exit with.

No, Simon, the pleasure has been ours. Thanks again. 

• @Triem23 is the Lich! He is the necromancer of threads! hahaha

• @SimonKJones - "I haven't gone by the name Tarn since...oh, before you were born." LOLOLOLOL I'm probably old enough to ask you- "Where did your mother and I go wrong?"  ;^)

• @SimonKJones ; Nice lighting tutorial.  Good info about grabbing the environment map at the actual scene.

Gonna miss ya!

• Thanks guys! I'd been wanting to do that tutorial for aaaaaaaages, so was very glad to get it in the bag before heading off.

I've been pretty quiet since leaving due to my brain being entirely full of NEW STUFF, but I do intend to become a more regular guest soon. :)

• I haven’t been active on the forum. In fact this is my first post but I wanted to acknowledge how helpful and inspiring Simon’s tutorials, Future Learn course, and blog posts have been to me as I begin this HitFilm journey. Tutorial day has become my favorite of the week and Simon's wry comments will be missed.

Perhaps some might enjoy this lost gem of Simon as a disembodied head from back when dinosaurs walked the earth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVLCzFZBJM

Thank you @SimonKJones and best in the future.

• @Triem23 Yep they did you those in the later ones I believe, found this source (http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/making/effects.html)confirming that.

'The B5 effects teams, both at Foundation and at NDI, use Lightwave 3D by NewTek and specialized software to design and render the visual effects. For the pilot, the effects were rendered on a network of Amiga computers; later, Foundation used 12 Pentium PCs and 5 DEC Alpha workstations for 3D rendering and design, and 3 Macintoshes for piecing together on-set computer displays. The NDI team uses a similar array of equipment; see George Johnsen's comments below. '

Regardless still way cool for the time.

• @Triem23 Yep they did you those in the later ones I believe, found this source (http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/making/effects.html)confirming that.

'The B5 effects teams, both at Foundation and at NDI, use Lightwave 3D by NewTek and specialized software to design and render the visual effects. For the pilot, the effects were rendered on a network of Amiga computers; later, Foundation used 12 Pentium PCs and 5 DEC Alpha workstations for 3D rendering and design, and 3 Macintoshes for piecing together on-set computer displays. The NDI team uses a similar array of equipment; see George Johnsen's comments below. '

Regardless still way cool for the time.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment