"We're Sorry. HitFilm4 Express encountered a problem and has to exit." (Resolved)

"We're Sorry. HitFilm4 Express encountered a problem and has to exit."

As is. Not sure what else to do. Tried reopening the program multiple times only to see the same crash message. I simply wanted to find a simple free program to splice and sync an audio and video file together.

I can open the program perfectly fine, but after I press either "Start Compositing" or "Start Editing," I get the above message prompt and the program shuts down.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator

That only tends to happen if your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements. What hardware do you have - especially your graphics card? Also make sure your video drivers are up to date.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited May 2016

System specs please.

CPU, GPU, RAM, OS. Are you running any antivirus? Are your GPU drivers up to date? Are you on a DELL?

• edited May 2016

Had to run a youtube search on how to find out what my graphics card and computer information was, or are located.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @3.00 GHz 3.20 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6500 Series.

• AdyAdy Staff
    edited May 2016

strawberryshortcake0 - Sorry you are having trouble with the software.

I don't see any error reports from your registered account, did you upload them?

I would start by updating your drivers, you can do so by visiting the link here.

Ady

• @Triem23,

Windows 7. Also did I list my CPU and GPU in my previous post. Not too sure what my CPU or GPU is. Secondly, it's a custom built PC. I had someone build it for me specifically to be used as a DVR first and foremost when I'm not home for primetime tv watching. I haven't upgraded my computer ever since it was built, either. Tech non-savvy here.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Ady the driver links didn't seem to come through on your last post. At least I don't see the blue hyperlink.

• @Ady. Didn't upload the error report, but decided to per your request. Do I really need to update my drivers? Everything's working fine and dandy with respect to my primary computer usage (i.e. Hauppauge TV tuner for DVR purposes). Is there any "harm" in updating drivers? Tech non-savvy here.

• @SimonKJones Also please add more information in Hitfilm why crash is happened, not just only "user friendly" explanations, for example "An error occurred". Hitfilm could create something like log files in appdata or in its dir. This is would be very useful to find out why crashes occur, what its reason. If this would be implemented, people will find out the reasons without needlessly asking in forum.

• AdyAdy Staff
    edited May 2016

@Triem23 - Cheers, looks like the link didn't save, updated now!

strawberryshortcake0 - Thank you for uploading the report, I can see from it that your system is currently running a driver from 4/20/2011. So yes, I would advise you to update to the latest driver.

As HitFilm is a GPU accelerated product, updating your drivers for your GPU is essential to keep things running smoothly. This would be the same for any program that uses the GPU. You may also find any programs you do currently have, may work better / improve by simply installing the latest drivers.

The latest drivers for your GPU will include bug fixes, optimizations & performance enhancements that are not present in the drivers you are currently running.

You are under no obligation to do this, but without the latest drivers, the software simply will not work.

AlreadyTaken - I fully appreciate what you're saying, and I agree it would be useful for people to diagnose things on their own. I also agree that it could be beneficial for the error messages to be more specific with regards to the errors.

But when it comes to customer facing parts of the product it's always best to not to display too much technical jargon with regards to errors. It's quite scary for some users to be confronted by lots of things they simply do not understand or perhaps don't want to know, they just want it to work.

So with this in mind, we try to keep our warnings & errors easier enough for all to understand, but there are of course people who can & will figure things out on their own.

We have an excellent support team who is more than capable of handling these requests as well as the ability to upload error reports directly to us which we can analyze to help us solve issues quickly & efficiently.

It's not to say that things may not change in the future though as we are always looking at new ways in which to handle things.

Ady

• edited May 2016

@Ady Yeah, I agree with your opinion, making things simplified is required, also with error messages. That's because a lot of Hitfilm users are "foolish", they don't see any difference between mp4 and h264 for example. They asking for simple questions, which if they want can find in user manual. But log files in appdata created after every crash of Hitfilm or maybe when opening Hitfilm every time would be enough. It's not necessary to modify error messages for each situation. I think that crash logging is enough for now.

BSODs are scary, error messages are scary, everything is scary. Information is the most important thing. It's better to be frightened with serious error message than don't know anything what and why is happening.

• AdyAdy Staff

AlreadyTaken - Our users are all at different levels of technical understanding, some users may understand a more detailed error message where as others would be quite happy posting here for advice or contacting support when things go wrong. Everyone is different.

It's a fine line between over burdening the users with technical jargon or giving them enough information to potentially fix the issue themselves.

Frightened users is not something we want, I feel there is some room for improvement with the clarity of the error messages which we have & will continue to look at.

As we are going off topic, this thread will be closed.

This discussion has been closed.