Hitfilm 4 express crashes when i try to import movies

When I hit the import button in the screen the file select dialog box opens, but before I can do anything it reports me that "Hitfilm 4 express has stopped working".

The software looks great, but I can't do anything with it at the moment.

Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel i5-5200U CPU 2.2oGHz

16.0 GB memory

64 bit, x64.

Solid state disk

Comments

• Similar issue here - downloaded today with a view to buying the Pro version, but crashes every time the file dialog is opened.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i-7, 16GB ram, hybrid SSD and HD

GeForce GTX 745, latest drivers installed

Heard there was an issue with Avast anti-virus (which I was glad to be rid of anyway) so installed AVG, but issue persists.

Looking at the error reporting, it appears to be interaction with NTDLL.DLL that's causing the problem.

• edited May 2016

OK, I think I've found a workaround.

After stopping and starting loads of services, with no luck, I checked what was in the file browser that could be causing the crash.

Which includes Dropbox, which I don't use very much.

After browsing into the folder from Windows Explorer, then going back into HitFilm - suddenly no crashing from opening the file dialog.

If memory serves, the version of Dropbox was a Dell exclusive, so it's may be this that's causing the Dell-related problems?

If that's the answer, I think Support owe me a pint. :D

• However... another program kicked in later and the crashes started again.

This was Dell Backup and Restore - a program I don't use, so I uninstalled it, and no crashes again.

• Ok. I'll give it a try. I also have dropbox and Dell backup and Restore. Will give feedback later.

• Disable all the start up applications and the next time you boot into Windows, it'll act like you never got it from Dell.

• Tweaking my laptop is something I already did. (That's why I got the solid state disk as well :)

So I uninstalled dropbox and dell backup and the problem is solved. I also have onedrive but that doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Thank you graemeallan!

• Great stuff - seems like one or both of those are the culprits.

•  You don't have to uninstall anything with the method I described above, which is the point.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Ady a tag since these users seem to have helped narrow down the Dell issues. 

• i have a diffrent but similar issue. when i try to start up a project it says an error has occured i can send (which i have) or dont send and then when i click one it closes hitfilm. anyone have an idea as to what is happening? i downloaded and tried to open the portal thing but realized it was for express 3 not 4 so maybe thats it.l.

@Kingchessgaming HF3E projects should load into HF4E. 

The above users had issues relating to Dell bloatware--FxHome has been aware of issues on Dell machines, but doesn't OWN any. 

So, in your case, first, do you have a Dell? If so, refer to above comments in this thread because Werner and graemeallen seem to have identified some culprits. 

Otherwise, what's your CPU, GPU, OS and RAM? Are your GPU drivers up to date? Are you running Antivirus software? Hitfilm doesn't play well with some Antivirus, notably Avast. 

• edited May 2016

I don't have a Dell, I'm using SONY VAIO, but I still get the crash report when I even try to start editing.

Any ideas, new computer, no back up software, AVG antivirus in place.

64-bit op system

Intel Pentium Windows 10

@jgbproductions what's the cpu and gpu of your machine? 

• @Triem23 yes i do have a dell but i dont have the above programs only dell system detect.

@Kingchessgaming and the othee questions I asked? :-) System specs will help the community and staff figure out the problem. 

• @Triem23 where do you go to find your cpu and gpu

• Having the same problems

I have a Fujitsu with Intel core i5 processor, Bitdefender Antivirus (but the Bitdefender hasn't picked it up as malware). I needed to use this for a project that is due tomorrow!  If this won't work can you suggest something else to use???

• AdyAdy Staff

jgbproductions - I have taken a look at your error report. Your system is running an Intel HD Graphics chip which is not supported by HitFilm. In order to run HitFilm, your system must meet or exceed the minimum requirements of the software. The minimum requirements can be found here.

kingchessgaming - I have taken a look at your error report. Your system uses an AMD Radeon HD 5700, at the moment of the report it was running on a driver from  4/20/2011.

I would suggest updating your graphics drivers, but due to the age of the machine, you may not be able to install the latest drivers, but it's worth a try.

AMD Driver Page

VBprincess - I have taken a look at your error report & can see that your system is running an Intel HD 4000 with a driver from 8/28/2012. Please can you update the driver for your system & try the software again.

Intel HD Driver Page

• I have the same issue too. I recently upgraded to HitFilm 4 express and when I try to start a new project I am getting this error

“We're Sorry

HitFilm 4 Express encountered a problem and has to exit.

To help us fix this problem, please send the crash report to us.”

I have follow the previous possible solutions and I still have the problem. 

I also have installed Hitfilm 3 express and that one works fine with the exemption that I only have the demo version and that wouldn’t let me upload full projects to YouTube 

Here is my computer information

HP 2000 Notebook

Window 7 Home Premiun

Processor AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.65 GHz

Installed Memory RAM 4.00GB (3.60 GB usable)

System Type 64-bit Operating System

GDP:AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics

Any detail information on how to fix this issue I will greatly appreciated the help or if anyone can guide me where I can get a key for version 3 that will work until I upgrade my PC in June.

Thank you

@miamionlinedeals Hitfilm 4 Express has minimum requirements of an Intel HD 4000 or equivalent. Looking at the benchmarks for you GPU, I see scores of about half those of the Intel HD 4000. I suspect your machine isn't powerful enough to run HF4E. 

HF3E has lower system requirements, but you're still probably right about minimum spec. Staff can confirm this. 

For instructions on how to activate your HF3E and retrieve your password see this FAQ.

https://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/73

• @triem23, thank you for the clarification. That was my suspicious too. I installed HitFilm 3 but when is time to get the activation code for HitFilm 3, it only give me the Hitfilm 4 activation key. Do you happen to know the process or who I can contact so I can get an activation key for Hitfilm 3.  Thank you for your fast response. 

• edited May 2016

@miamionlinedeals - the minimum requirements are identical for HitFilm 3 Express and HitFilm 4 Express. And no version of HitFilm supports AMD APU's. The only integrated graphics that are supported are the Intel options, including the HD 4000 and above.

Serial codes for HitFilm 3 Express are no longer available. Sorry I don't have better news.

• For the record, HitFIlm 3 Express can work with effects and edit and export without crashing using a A8 5500 APU.

• @Kevin the filmmaker - Hardware being below spec doesn't necessarily mean that the software won't function. But it does mean that even if the software is functioning, some effects and tools may not work as intended. And if problems do arise, we can't offer support if the software doesn't meet minimum spec.

• edited September 2017

What about my laptop? I can't create anything because it keeps on popping “We're Sorry HitFilm 4 Express encountered a problem and has to exit." I have a Toshiba Satellite C50. Please respond. 

• @TheSuriel Unfortunately your computer is under the minimum requirements for HitFilm 4. Since that post was created, HitFilm Express 2017 came out but it has the same minimum requirements so you likely won't be able to run that either.

The only alternative you have is to use HitFilm on a different computer or use a different video editor / compositor altogether, sorry.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment