Infographic Software???

Hi,

anyone know of a cheapish, software  for making animated infographics?

My searching online hasnt revealed much other than website subscriptions and online creators

thanks

Chris

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Hmmmm last time this question came up I think consensus was no one could think of specific "Infographic" Software that wasn't expensive. Hitfilm is capable of animation of elements, and, with the text and masking tools, Hitfilm can draw the elements, but it's not the easiest choice. 

Photo editing tools like GIMP (free) or Photoshop (not free) can make elements that can be brought to Hitfilm. So can presentation tools like Microsoft PowerPoint (not free) or WPS Office (free). Just export slides as PNG files to keep transparent pixels. 

• Triem23 is on the right track.  HF is great for stacking layers, masking and moving them around.  But you need a good paint program to create original graphics to bring into HF.

My suggestion for a low cost solution there (i.e. I need Photoshop but it's too expensive) is to purchase a copy of Paint Shop Pro.  Street prices anywhere between $45 and $80 U.S.

PSP does almost everything PS does.  It loads faster and is more lightweight on your computer resources.  I have both but use PSP a lot for doing simple graphics and its browse feature is very handy.

Again, as Triem said, make sure to write out PNG with Alpha.  That gives you automatic keying in HF.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Office 365 - PowerPoint, Excel and Publisher along with with a photo editor/paint program of your choice. Yeah it's a subscription but you can get the full applications on 5 computers plus apps on 5 phones and 5 tablets for a year for $76.49 through Amazon right now and that includes 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage. If you stop paying for the subscription you still have access to your files through the free Office online and free mobile apps which are limited compared to the desktop software but still usable. Random thoughts below......

Excel is of course excellent for making charts and graphs that can be dropped right into PowerPoint. Publisher can be used for layouts. Export as PNG then import those into PowerPoint. 

PowerPoint stores many animations as WMV files in the pptx file and a pptx file is really a zip archive so you can use any archive tool like 7-Zip to extract the archive or copy the file and change the extension to .zip to use the built in Windows zip support. 

Image export resolution is limited in PowerPoint but you can set a different default resolution by changing a registry entry:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/827745

Most of the time I don't have to vary too far from the default so I export from PowerPoint then use ImageMagick with a couple of different batch scripts to resize to what I need in the SendTo folder so I can invoke them with a right click. Another option is to use a print screen utility (DropBox includes one) and run through a presentation  - advance slide PrtScn advance slide PrtScn..........

Video export options are a joke so I don't bother. If I really need a PowerPoint video I have access to some hardware capture devices and use those because I really really really hate screen recording software in any form but screen recording could be done.

Slide notes and the storyboard tools are pretty handy for keeping a project organized too.

PowerPoint has animation paths and there is a way to take advantage of this when you want to incorporate animated elements in HitFilm for the final product. To do that you're going to want a clean plate and a tracking plate. The clean plate is well, clean. Pretty self explanatory. For the tracking plate make a simple colored square to use as a tracking marker and have it follow the path you want. In HitFilm track the marker and apply the tracking to a point layer. You now have an animated point to hook all kinds of things onto like say a particle emitter.

I'm not saying it's a perfect option but you can do a heck of a lot and you'd be surprised by how much infographic content is created this way. Even when it isn't, Office , mainly Excel, is still a big part of the process to put together the data to be used in the infographic. To get an idea of what can be done just Google PowerPoint infographic

• thanks for the info

• edited April 2016

Are you creating infographics for print or motion? If you are doing them for motion, your cheapest options would be PowerPoint, possibly LibreOffice Impress (can't recall if it exports to video right now), Inkscape/GIMP or--if you're on Windows--DrawPlus.

If you're creating for print, all of the above options are still valid. I would add Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW and Canvas to that list and--if you are on a Mac--Autodesk Graphic (formerly iDraw) and Affinity Designer. Freehand MX works for Windows, too--if you already have it, know how to install it (compatibility mode), or know how to get your hands on it.

• This is likely what you are looking for:

http://my.smithmicro.com/motionartist-motion-comic-software.html

It lets you make anything 2D - just bring in graphics and animate them.  Can be used for any animation project and exported to movies, HTML5 sites, etc.

They have pro and non-pro versions.

Another program that is more expensive but also more in depth is:

http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-2D-animation-software.html

They have pro and non-pro versions.

Mike

• @Aladdin4d

I felt like you had a pretty good Microsoft add going on there!

Sorry, I'm a cheapy though and only goes for the one time buy package, waaay cheaper in the long run

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@TheAbstract As far as cost goes this is one where it actually makes sense for a lot of people to go with Office 365. I've been paying Dropbox $120.00/year for 1TB of cloud storage. I just got a 1 year subscription card for Office that includes 1TB of cloud storage from Amazon for $76.46 so I've already saved over $40.00 and get Office itself for free.

With what I do it's a really good idea to have the latest version of Office and I've never been able to put off an upgrade for more than a year so no skipping versions to keep costs down not to mention I need it on 3 machines total. I'm already covered for less than what I've been paying Dropbox and even if I take cloud storage out of the equation it would be 5-6 years before the subscription started to cost me more than purchasing outright based on what I've paid in the past. In 6 years it's a pretty much a guarantee there's going to be another version of Office, the longest span between versions so far is 2003 to 2007, so even if the subscription goes up in the future I'll still be ahead of the cost curve when the next version comes out. I'm not a big fan of subscriptions either but when I ran the numbers it was clear the subscription is a whole lot cheaper for me.

For the rest of it creative types almost always overlook mundane things like office applications but take plain old boring Microsoft Office and some other programs like @Pencilandinc mentioned and you've covered the vast majority of all infographic/explainer content ever created. What wan't mentioned was the combination of Illustrator and After Effects. It's a very powerful combo that's used a lot but the original post was after cheapish and even though they're used a lot for this kind of thing it's nowhere near as much as you might think.

• edited April 2016

So, back to the subject of the post @Aladdin4d

@WishingStaffstudios Google docs or google slides should do fine? Depending on what you're making... Obviously if it is heavy work then you shouldn't use google docs or slides. Just a very very cheap option, cause it's completely free! But it isn't as buffed out as Microsoft office

•  
    Hello, a cheap animation software can be found at 
    DP Animationmaker
  • Why not try Infographic Designing Service PixPoc.com instead?

They do 100% of all work, start at $79.

I think you shouldn't create your own, but let the experts do it.

Good luck

• goanimate.com is good, but i guess its not cheap

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment