Converting a wmv file to avi or mp4

edited April 2015 in Filmmaking
so i need to convert a wmv file over to an avi or mp4 (mac compatible one) but the converter i have is rubbish and makes the video bad quality when converted, does any one know a free video converter that converts video from wmv to mp4 (or mac compatible format) without loosing any quality/ not much quaility, please reply quickly as i need to convert it soon! thanks

Comments

• I like the Freemake Video Converter. Just be sure to go into the settings and increase the bitrate. I get very good results with it.
  • For what its worth, I play .wmv files on my Mac all the time, using Flip4Mac to play them in Quicktime. I don't know why specifically you need to convert the files, but the .wmv format can be viewed on the Mac without much difficulty, so if its just a matter of viewing the files on a Mac, then conversion isn't necessary.
    As far as a converter, I'd aim for .mov format when converting for use on a Mac, but then, .mov is my preferred format for use on Windows as well. There are lots of free converters out there, but none that I actually have experience with. Try searching for "free converter wmv mov" and you'll find lots of options to choose from.
  • I know this thread is a bit old now and I hope you've found a solution you like, but figuring out my trans-coding setup was a huge headache for me so I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.
    My go-to application for converting is Oxelon Media Converter. In my opinion, it is severely underrated. It converts anything you can throw at it, everything is ridiculously flexible, and its free. The only thing that could be considered a con is that instead of doing a watermark on your video, when you close the program it launches a portal they are affiliate with. This is kind turned me off at first but after I verified that it wasn't hurting my computer I accepted it as the cost of having a free video converter that doesn't do watermarks.
    I use this alot when I have to edit footage in Vegas that I did effects for in Hitfilm. Hitfilm's shiny new high quality high-def files are too nice for my old version of Vegas to edit, so I throw them through Oxelon first and everythings hunkydory. I also use this when converting for DVD, because it not only converts between formats but also does a great job of changing resolutions too.
  • Hi,
    I am no expert but I found this while looking for a similar solution but I haven't tried it yet.
    Hope it helps,
    Grumple
    http://www.squared5.com/
  • I use Video Converter software to do video conversion. It's not for free, but the conversion speed is quite fast and the quality of the converted files remains as good as the original ones. Quite goo program. You can have a try. You can also access to the tutorial on How to Convert WMV to MP4 and How to Convert WMV to AVI to get more info. 

• I did not find some freeware that was much powerful for encoding WMV to MP4. But I have used Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac for several years to deal with my videos including VOB, MKV, AVI, MP4 .etc. You can have a try.

• You may try WALTR which is the best AVI to MP4 Converter for Mac and Windows to convert AVI to MP4 at fast speed and with original video quality..Besides converting AVI to MP4, it also allows you to convert AVI to MOV, WAV, AAC, M4A, FLAC, ALAC and etc. Here is some info http://softorino.com/waltr/best-converter-avi-mp4-mac-windows Sure you'll like it)

• As we all know, WMV is a famous and widely used format, which is powered by Microsoft. Although WMV format is compatible with many players and devices, it is still a problem to play WMV videos and movies on Mac OS X, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iTunes, QuickTime, Apple TV or edit in iMovie and Final Cut Pro. In contrast, MP4 format is one of the most popular video format, which is not only supported by Apple portable devices and players but also compatible with Android, PS3, Xbox 360, etc. So numerous of people dig around just for a useful tool to convert WMV to MP4 on Mac and Windows.

Here we strongly recommend a professional WMV to MP4 Converter and a full guide on how to convert WMV to MP4 for both Mac and Windows users.

By the way, it also lets you convert WMV to AVI and many other video formats.

• Windows Media Video (WMV), a file format developed by Microsoft, is mostly used for internet streaming and watching videos on Windows Media Player. Also, it can be played on portable media players like Xbox 360 and Creative Zen.

If you have some WMV files and want to have a video converter to convert WMV to MP4 to get them work on your iPhone/iPod/iPad, or play on your PSP MP4 player, I humbly recommend FonePaw Video Converter Ultimate. This software is a professional WMV to MP4 converter, which allows you to convert WMV to MP4 easily, so that you can enjoy them on iPad, iPod, iPhone, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Xbox360, Zune, Apple TV, Sony PSP, and many other portable devices.

• edited November 1

As for me, I'm used to convert video to MP4 with third party software. To play video on Mac, we may prefer M4V format or common MP4 format. Now there  are so many video converter software on the Internet to help us convert video easily and quickly. I prefer to convert iTunes videos to MP4 format, after conversion, we can enjoy all these video on any non-Apple devices freely. You can check more details on [LINK REMOVED]. Good luck to you. 

This discussion has been closed.