What Computer?

What type of computer should I use for Hitfilm 4?

Comments

• One that exceeds the minimum requirements provided here: https://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-4-pro#requirements

In general, gaming computers tend to provide a strong, balanced system for graphics-based work, so they are a good place to start looking. Otherwise, we will need more details from you to provide a more detailed answer.

• I need a pc that wont crash while editing and will be good for gaming but be able to also edit with Hitfilm 4

• Any pc's you could recommend?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

What's your budget? The problem with saying "What PC do you recommend," is there's a massive range of hardware. I recommend an i7-6000 series, an Nvidia 980 8GB, 64 GB DDR5 2133MHZ. RAM, a 512GB SSD for OS a 512 GB SSD for programs, a 1TB SSD for a library and cache drive and a 1TB SSD as a projects drive with two monitors of 1080p resolution or higher, but you'll spend two or three thousand bucks on that rig. 

I would, in general, recommend you shop through an online retailer specializing in gaming systems. That will give you more configuration options, at a better price than the major retailers. 

The only thing I can say with certainty is don't buy a Dell. There are known issues with Hitfilm on Dell machines because ofof the Dell bloatware. 

• @Triem23 You wrote a 980 with 8 Gig? Maximum I'seen is 6Gig. Is there an 8 Gig version?

• Probably a typo. 980 is max 4GB and a 980ti is 6GB.

@Ireground @NormanPCN the typo is 980M (laptop GPU) BUT it's got 8GB of Vram. 

• I'm about to build a new computer around Vegas and HF (I know Vegas is rumored to be on its deathbed, but I can't seem be able to get Premiere Pro to be my friend). So I'll use it as a dedicated machine until it dies, or until the end of times, whichever comes first (you never know, there's a possibility of Trump being elected).

Basically it'll be more or less what Triem23 recommends except I probably won't be putting 4 SSDs in it. Maybe 2 with one normal HD. Anyways, I've seen the 980 being recommended here a lot, would that be the one you guys would recommend the most? I've also read here a few weeks ago that the new generation of Nvidias was coming out in february (300% performance increase), I think it was Triem23 also. But after some research, I haven't found anything on that. Any info would be appreciated since I absolutely love HF but I'm having some serious stability issues with the setup I'm using right now.

My guess of Feb for the new Nvidia was based on October reports. 

April is confirmed. 

www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nvidia-pascal-gpu-release-date-in-april-2016/37864.htm

• Most reports seem to indicate that only the showcase "TITAN" class GPU will be shown and/or released at the April conference. It might be June for the 1080 and 1070 class GPUs to be released.

• CNKCNK
    edited March 2016

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for the new GPUs to come out. Does anyone know if theres a i3 vs i5 vs i7 comparison for hitfilm?

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment