HitFilm Express won't open?

HitFilm Express won't run on my PC. I double click the icon, I get a flash of the logo then... nothing. I've checked Task Manager and there are no processes running.
Windows 7, fully updated. i5. 8 gigs ram. Nvidia GeForce GTX260 with latest drivers. Everything else runs fine.
I have just downloaded the program and so far it has not run once. The only potential issue may be that I installed it to an external drive due to space problems on C. However, there is an option to do that in the installer so this shouldn't be a problem... right? I'll try re-installing it to C after I move some stuff later.
Any answers please HitFilm? I have checked your forums and don't see this as a problem posted here so far. I'd love to try it out and see if I like it.
Mike. UK.

Comments

• HitFilm Express won't run on my PC. I double click the icon, I get a flash of the logo then... nothing. I've checked Task Manager and there are no processes running.
    Windows 7, fully updated. i5. 8 gigs ram. Nvidia GeForce GTX260 with latest drivers. Everything else runs fine.
    I have just downloaded the program and so far it has not run once. The only potential issue may be that I installed it to an external drive due to space problems on C. However, there is an option to do that in the installer so this shouldn't be a problem... right? I'll try re-installing it to C after I move some stuff later.
    Any answers please HitFilm? I have checked your forums and don't see this as a problem posted here so far. I'd love to try it out and see if I like it.
    Mike. UK.

Hi Mike,
    Sorry for the problems you've been having, do you have any anti-virus installed? If so, which one?
    Thanks,
    Ady

• Hello Ady.
    Yes, I do have Av. What PC doesn't? I use ESET smart security 6, which is fully updated. However, I have tried shutting it down before running HitFilm with no joy. Right click and one of the options is to "Temporarily disable protection".
    Any other ideas? :)
    Mike.
  • Hello Ady.
    Yes, I do have Av. What PC doesn't? I use ESET smart security 6, which is fully updated. However, I have tried shutting it down before running HitFilm with no joy. Right click and one of the options is to "Temporarily disable protection".
    Any other ideas? :)
    Mike.

Hi again Mike,
    You'll be surprised how many actually don't!
    So when you start the Process it doesn't show in the Task Manager at all? It might be best to log a support ticket here, so I can talk to you on a more one to one basis. Hope that's ok?
    Thanks,
    Ady 

• I'm having the same problem now, just a flash of the splashscreen, it appears in the Task Manager for half a second and that's it, nothing happens. I used it earlier today without any problems. 
  • Hi all.
    Ady, I have just created a ticket as asked. Daz, has anything changed on your computer? Updates?
    Mike.
  • Hi all.
    Ady, I have just created a ticket as asked. Daz, has anything changed on your computer? Updates?
    Mike.

Mike,
    I've responded to your ticket.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• When I first installed Hitfilm, it worked no problem. I didn't have to turn firewall or anti-virus off or anything. Turned my PC off and when I came back later Hitfilm refused to load. Re-installing etc made no difference.
    Then I remembered I had downloaded the tutorial project from the website and put it in
    HitFilm 2 Express/Content/Hitfilm Express Project/ 
    So I've just removed the tutorial project directory from the Content directory and Hitfilm has started loading normally again. I expected it to break when I put the tutorial project back in. But it hasn't, it still working fine. So I haven't been able to replicate it but maybe this is helpful.
  • edited February 2014
    my Hitfilm 2 express starts up but when i start a new projekt it crashes so i cant use the software... any ideas ?
  • my Hitfilm 2 express starts up but when i start a new projekt it crashes so i cant use the software... any ideas ?

Hi,
    What form of anti-virus are you using? Avast?
    Thanks,
    Ady

• I have HitFilm 3 express on my mac and when I click on the icon it flashes for a second and quits the software. Please help me.

Dan

• same problem

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited July 2015

Hey, guys, it can help the staff start to figure out the issue if you provide more information. 

CPU, GPU, OS, RAM, and any Antivirus software you have (Hitfilm doesn't like Avast). 

Also, make certain your GPU drivers and QuickTime are the most recent versions. 

• I have a PC. I use Hitfilm 3 Express. The program used to work fine, but when I open a project, there is a little popup window that says the program is not currently working, and it needs to shut down. I've done everything I know of. I've closed the program over and over, I've shut down and restarted it, heck, I even uninstalled and reinstalled it! I don't know what to do. Please help me.

• @MlpMelodyStrokes what Triem said applies to you, too - without further information about the specs of your PC, it's hard to give any help. Also, some details about that project you're trying to open will help, ideally you could upload it somewhere and post the link here.

• I have had two support questions dating back to Sep. 7, 2015 until present and we (support and myself) are still trying to figure out what is the problem. I am using Hitfilm 3 Pro though and have been a user of every program they had since composite lab.

I will post if we find an answer.  

• Update, we (support and myself) still can't get the program to work.  Support will send me an older copy of HF Pro to see if it will work. Over a month of trouble shooting now. This is getting long in tooth but will keep you posted hopefully we can find a solution.

Windows 7 pro, 18 GB memory, i7 processor 3.2 ghz, and a Geforce GTX970. 

• Update, as a temporary solution, Tech support had to give me an older version of HF3 Pro in order for it to open. I hope we can resolve what ever issue was in the update so I can use the latest version soon. Maybe this can help you as well. Ask HF tech staff can you role back to a previous version.

Windows 7 pro, 18 GB memory, i7 processor 3.2 ghz, and a Geforce GTX970. (yes my drivers are up to date)

• Hi, 

Yesterday I had a great first day of editing with Hitfilm Express, but all of a sudden the program won't open today. Help?!

Same issue as above on Mac, icon flashes for a moment and that is it. And the icon in the taskbar lost the logo, as if the program is not on my computer any more.

Thanks!

• Hii there! So I was about to install hitfilm 3 express but everytime when I click finish after it's done installing it says : "your computer does not appear to meet the minimum requirements of HitFilm. Please install the latest driver update for you graphics card and try running HitFilm again." Because I'm dutch I'm not really sure what I have to do and I don't completely understand what I have to do now.

@bastillexkensington

First, what is your machine's CPU, GPU, OS,  RAM and storage drives? The error message is saying your machine isn't powerful enough to run Hitfilm and that is the information needed to determine if it is. 

Second, FxHome has a FAQ on updating graphics drivers here: 

https://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/10

•  Hi I have the same problem. 

I set up a new PC with WIN7 Ultimate. The PC has no Internet Connection, no Firewall, no AV installed yet but Hitfilm Express 4 wont start after installation. Its the only Software I installed so far. 

Any ideas?

• @rr_designymailcom - the same questions going out to everyone else apply to you as well. Can you please give us your computer's secs, regarding your CPU, GPU, OS,  and RAM? Usually that message indicates that your GPU is below the requirements, but we need your computer's specs to confirm anything.

• I cant open hit film 4 express in windows 7.....what can i do?\

@pinakchandraghosh to quote Axel, above: the same questions going out to everyone else apply to you as well. Can you please give us your computer's secs, regarding your CPU, GPU, OS,  and RAM? Usually that message indicates that your GPU is below the requirements, but we need your computer's specs to confirm anything.

• can anybody plssss help me:(,i can go into hitfilm 4 express,but when i went into the project setting and press start editing,it just crash and force me to close the apps,i really like this apps,pls help me...

@cometopapa let's start with the basic questions. What is your computer's CPU, GPU, OS, Ram and Storage? Do you have antivirus running? Is your computer a Dell? Are your GPU drivers updated?

If your computer is a Dell, there is a known issue that I will link the solution for (if needed). Otherwise, this type of crash usually means either your computer is below minimum specs to run Hitfilm, or your GPU drivers are out of date.

Instructions on updating your GPU drivers can be found here: http://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/10

• Hello whenever i try to start a projects it says it has encounterd an error and i have tried LOTS of times! 

What should i do?

• @YTComfyGamer

The two most common causes for crashes are below-spec computers and out-of-date graphics drivers.

Check your computer is within the minimum requirements for HitFilm Express (or let us know your CPU/GPU/RAM/OS here).

Then check your graphics card drivers are up to date.

• I am facing similar problem with Hitfilm Express 4. I had recently switched from VSDC to Hitfilm Express 4 2-3months ago and I was practicing it for gaming videos for editing. However now ever since I changed my whole rig from AMD Fx6100 to Intel 6th Generation i3 It won't launch. :/

• @noobtester

What are your full system specs please? CPU/RAM/GPU

Are your graphics card drivers and Windows Updates up to date?

Sign in to comment