.MOV files not supported? (Resolved)

edited December 2015 in Express Support

Hi, I just updated to Update #7 of HitFilm 3 Pro. As soon as I opened a project, all of the .MOV files in my media bin had errors on them, so I relinked them as usual. However, after this didn't work, and multiple HitFilm/computer restarts didn't fix it, I realized that the trimmer window said, "The Media File is not Supported", while when I tried to import the clips again, .MOV was still included in the list of supported file types, but still wouldn't work inside of HitFilm.

Any insight into this possible issue would be super-helpful, thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2015

Hi Aidin, would you mind adding a bit more details about your machine please? Having the OS and the version of QuickTime if Windows would help us diagnose the issue.

Are you able to upload a clip that doesn't work for you?

EDIT: To make myself clear, QuickTime videos are still supported and should definitely work. I would suggest reinstalling the latest version of QuickTime (download link) and selecting the "Typical" installation.

• How funny... I just updated to the most recent version of Quicktime (which, as a result of hardly ever using Quicktime, I had been yet to realize was available). Long story short, everything works fine now. Ah, the simple solutions that seem always to come along to problems...

• After installing QuickTime codec without success, I turned to some third party program to encode my MOV videos. What I used now is Brorsoft Video Converter. You can have a try.

• I'm unable to import .mov files from my Canon 7D.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I just installed the latest version of QuickTime (7.7.7).  The file plays fine in the QuickTime player and Windows Media Player, but after importing I get "File Not Supported" in the Media tab.

The file is 1920x1080/24fps and I can upload it if needed.

• My Hitfilm 3 Pro imports 7D files fine. Mostly I have 1080p30 files but I did just try a 1080p24 file. Windows 7, QT 7.7.7.

• Yes, I assumed it would as well, but this is a clean Windows 10 install, with QT 7.7.7 and still no luck.

• For what it's worth, I read in another thread to try renaming the .mov to .mp4 and that actually worked fine. This is only a 23 second clip so I'm not sure what the issue would be.  Would be nice not to have to rename them though.

• When you rename MOV to MP4 then Hitfilm uses its native AVC decoder. Conversely if you rename MP4 to MOV then Quicktime will be used.

The MP4 container was based off Quicktime MOV and they are 99.9% identical siblings. 

Something seems to be up with Quicktime or the QT interface with Hitfilm on your installation, and it might have something to do with Windows 10.

I can try your MOV clip on my machine if you like.

• Ok, I've uploaded the movie here if you want to test it.  Thanks!

• @Ziflin That clip imported fine for me on two different systems. First system was Win 7, QuickTime 7.7.6 and HitFilm 3 Pro. Second system was Win 10, QuickTime 7.7.7 and HitFilm 3 Pro

• Plays fine for me as well. Windows 7, QT 7.7.7, Hitfilm 3 Pro.

• Anyone able to try it with Express? I'll try uninstalling QuickTime and reinstalling it in a bit. 

• Drats, I uninstalled Express a few days ago.

Quicktime quirkiness I a good reason to take control and bypass Quicktime and decode DSLR MOV files natively. By "DSLR MOV", I mean files with AVC video and PCM audio. They all do that. You forced Hitfilm to go native with the file extension change to MP4.

• Imported well on Win10, Qt 7.7.7., Hitfilm 3 Pro.  After  that i converted it to DNxHD without problem too.

• Hi, I'm new to Hit Film and I just downloaded HitFilm 3 Express. I was trying to run the Gunfire Tutorial (from Portal Combat), and the .mov flash video files were reading as non-supported. Also when I open HitFilm, it says I need to install QuickTime, however I have QuickTime installed on my computer - But I recently upgraded to Windows 10. QuickTime is on my computer from before I upgraded, however I notice that that Apple don't offer QuickTime for Windows 10 (any attempt to install it fails as the installation insists it's only for Windows Vista or 7). Maybe this is a factor that is preventing HitFilm from recognising I have QuickTime installed? If someone is able to come up with a solution that would be amazing because I would love to use HitFilm to learn how to add visual effects to my film, but that would be a bit of a problem if I'm unable to load visual effects. 

Ta muchly

• @AlbusViaFilms -

Follow the steps here to create a patched installer to get around the QuickTime installation issue or when the time comes skip to point 10 to do it without making a custom installer. 

http://tommynation.com/install-quicktime-windows-10/

• edited September 2015

@Aladdin4d

Hi, I tried all the steps on that page, and none of them worked.

Custom installer installed the software but Hitfilm still loaded with a prompt saying I should install QuickTime (and then continued to read .MOV files as unsupported).

Step 10 just failed to install, giving me the compatibility error. 

Step 11 didn't work - cmd returned with ''msiexec' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.'

• edited September 2015

Hi Everyone! I justr bought HitFilmPro 3 about 3 weeks ago and am loving it!

I have been using my year old desktop with core I-7  4770 processor with 12 Gigs of Ram which I upgraded to W10 just before buying HitFilmPro.

Not too many  issues except when I bring in a model from ZBrush which lugs it down.

Earlier this week I bought a new laptop for traveling because my old Dell is limping along.

Awhile ago I decided to try my new laptop,  since I finally got HitFilm installed.

My new laptop is a gaming computer with 16Gigs of Ram it  also has a Core I-7   and a dedicated video card but I decided to get Windows 8.1 since Ableton Live 8 wouldn't run after my W10 upgrade.

Well  HitFilm couldn't read the Mov files so I downloaded the latest version of Quicktime (forgot it wasn't installed yet) and tried again... no dice! I restarted HitFilm thinking it may need to take a fresh look  around, but now it  says I need to install Quicktime... Go figure... 

When I get back from town I'll see if restarting my computer has any effect.  ;)

---Michael

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited September 2015

@DrFnord, I WOULD say double check your GPU drivers and Quicktime are current on the new laptop, but I have been properly conditioned to not see the Fnords... Who am I talking to? ;-) Hail Eris, and all that. 

•  If you don't see the fnord it can't eat you. Consult your pineal gland.

• @Triem23 ;D I finally broke <FNORD>through my proper conditioning when<FNORD> I  became a Dr. ("I'm not a Doctor <FNORD>in real life but I play<FNORD> one on the Internet") Well my <FNORD>problem was solved when I rebooted my system. Thought <FNORD>I'd better get back here to update <FNORD>my condition. Thanks for the <FNORD>suggestion and speaking of suggestions: after  I leave this<FNORD> page you will awaken completely refreshed and will always remember <FNORD> that you do not  see the Fnords. ;)

• My HitFlm Pro imports MOV from Canon fine. Even though there is some accident for video import, I choose to encode MOV to HitFilm natively supported video type with pavtube video converter and then the import processes without trouble.

• I had same problem, but I got it solved.   After you install or re-install Quicktime player or Quicktime Pro on your computer,  Just reboot (or restart) your computer.  It should be working well after rebooting.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.