How To Reverse Footage?

I feel completely stupid asking this, but I can't figure out how to reverse a clip so it plays backwards, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Don't feel stupid, for in fact, that feature hasn't been implemented in the software yet. It will be added soon, but for now, the reason you can't figure out how is because its not possible. Yet.

• Don't feel stupid, for in fact, that feature hasn't been implemented in the software yet. It will be added soon, but for now, the reason you can't figure out how is because its not possible. Yet.

Alright, thanks for the reply! I was just doing a test thing so I don't need it, I was just messing around. Thanks to the whole HitFilm team for continuously updating the program and helping out on the forums.
  • Now that 1.1 is out, has Hitfilm now got a reverse footage function? Thanks.
  • Yep, it has a whole folder of temporal tools, including a nifty reverse option.
  • not that it does you any good because it only reverses the video

• @TomTheHorseTV So... what's the problem? What would you expect from an effect that's called "Reverse"?

• Robin - I think he may have been referring to audio(?).

TomTheHorseTV - Are you referring to audio not playing backwards? Do you need audio to go backwards?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@TomTheHorseTV Hitfilm does not have a way to reverse audio. Audacity is free, cross platform and can reverse audio for export to Hitfilm. Any other audio editor should do this as well, 

• Oh, I see. I thought the "only" was referring to the "reverse", not the "the video". Alright, my bad. Uhm... what the others said then.

• I wish hitfilm had the simple drag to reverse audio or video

• @stormyknight you are correct, I was referrring to the audio. There's actually a free website that will reverse your audio (it's called 3pm) which is what I used

• It would be awesome that HitFilm can reverse a clip so it plays backwards. Look forward to the new feature.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited September 2015

Hitfilm can reverse video to play backwards. There's a "Time Reverse" effect and the "Speed" effect can be set to negative numbers for slow/fast motion reverse playback.

It's just the audio Hitfilm can't reverse, speed up or slow down.

• @Triem23

I mean without adding an effect.  Just drag a clip inward till it reverses.  Vegas style.

• @MichaelJames i know what ya meant. :-) I was correcting Emma. Speaking of Vegas-style, how about changing the speed of a clip by ctrl+Dragging a clip edge?

• @MichaelJames "I mean without adding an effect.  Just drag a clip inward till it reverses.  Vegas style."

I'm curious. How do you do that in Vegas? Ctrl drag is limited to .25-4x. Shift or Alt drag don't seem to do anything. Did you mean by using Velocity envelopes per chance?

@Triem Ctrl+Dragging is very intuitive indeed, but I think Hitfilm would have to implement speed change as a layer/event property for that. Probably not too big a deal but it also gives flexibility since the time remapper can access the source independently of the effects chain. By that I mean if a 60p source is on a 30p timeline. When is the source rate conformed to the timeline. First or last.

• @NormanPCN - Alt drag should do something because that invokes slip trim and slip edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCtLy6YLmTk

Shift drag invokes ignore event grouping. If there is a way to reverse by dragging I don't know it so I'm curious too.

• Norman, I think Hitfilm conforms source rate to timeline FIRST, since changing the "FPS" of a media asset at the bin level affects how that clip is interpreted upon being dragged into a layer. Additionally, I think Hitfilm's Speed effect is only doing frame skipping and frame repeating (as needed).

Vegas seems to conform later in the chain, since Vegas doesn't care what the fps of a media clip is, by default, it will play back at "100 speed," no matter the fps of the project.

Additionally, Vegas uses some frame/field blending to smooth out slow-motion. This isn't as effective as a true optical flow, but it's a step up from Hitfilm.

And, of course, Vegas will stretch the audio with the video.

I haven't played much with Hitfilm's Speed effect, just doing such things in Vegas, which does it faster, easier, and better. (Also, in Vegas, I have BCC, so, if I don't need ramping as such, I'll just BCC's Optical Flow if I need to take any slow-motion below 50%)

• @Triem I think I agree that Hitfilm conforms frame rate first. I do see the Speed effect doing frame blending like Vegas. With some simple tests using 60p source on a 30p timeline with speed at .5 I always see frame blending every other frame.

Anyway, I actually prefer the Hitfilm way of using the extra frames in higher speed sources. That being setting the playback rate in properties. Something Vegas does not allow. GoPro studio is also like Hitfilm in this regard and you want to do that since GoPro marks high speed shots at the high speed rate.

Sign in to comment