Can't import .mov files

I have downloaded the trial of hit film on my Mac and was really looking forward to using it, the only problem is I can't import hardly any of my movies. The .mov files and AVI I'm trying to import come up with a film icon and a little ! mark. The .mov files that do work start with a MVI but they are recorded on a different camera. As I understand it .mov files should work as they are quick time.
I'm really not sure what to do, if I can't sort this problem then I very much doubt I will be buying Hit Film.

Comments

• I've tried to import to import a MVI clip which is about 1min 30 seconds long and all I get is a spinning coloured icon for ages, I've had to force quit 3 times! I'm starting to think that Hit Film is a very poor product!
  • What codec are your ,.mov files encoded with?  I import .mov files into HitFilm on a daily basis, on both the Mac and PC platforms, without problem, so if you can give us some of the specifics of the files you are using, we can look at what might be causing the issue.
  • I'm sorry but I haven't got a clue what a codec is. I'm a novice when it comes to technical stuff, all I know is that the movies won't import.
  • That's ok, we can come at it from a different direction.  Where did the files come from?  Did you film them yourself?  Do you know what model of camera was used to create them?  We can find the codec based on the camera model.
    Can you play them OK in Quicktime?  If so, open one of the movies in Quicktime, and press COMMAND+I to open the Inspector.  Then let us know what it says in the "Format:" listing of the Inspector.
  • The .mov files that will not import were recorded using a sony HDR-HC5, they were imported via a ADVC 110. The MVI files that are working a Canon700D

This is the codec from one of the files that aren't working
    Apple Intermediate Codec, 960 x 540

Linear PCM, 16 bit big-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz
    Thanks

• Not Hitfilm staff, but I've seen other users talking about having problems with AIC in Hitfilm. Hitfilm might not support that codec.
    the size dimensions seem odd, too. 960x540 doesn't correspond to NTSC, PAL, 720p or 1080 resolutions. Just an iPhone screen. I mean, 960x540 is just weird!
    Anyway, I speculate--wait for a response from Axel, or Simon or Ady or other Hitfilm staff.
  • edited January 2014
    What codec are your ,.mov files encoded with?  I import .mov files into HitFilm on a daily basis, on both the Mac and PC platforms, without problem, so if you can give us some of the specifics of the files you are using, we can look at what might be causing the issue.

Hi Axel, could you tell us your version of Quick Time?
    I encounter import problem partial. Some of my files work, and some not. In examle: i shoot with Canon 650D in 1920x1080@24p (H264AVC1). The shots are one by one shot in steps maybe of 2-5 minutes with the same camera and the same conditions and parameter. Later, some of them can be imported and some not. All of them are playable in any sort of 3rd party players. Even windows movie maker recognizes them and compiles without any doubts. So - there must be something wrong in Hitfilm maybe?

• At any given time, I'll be running the latest version of Quicktime.  I just keep it up to date.
  • I'm having the same problem of not being able to load certain .mov files, These file came from a camcorder that produced a ACVHD file. This file was converted to .mov files by iMovie. The codec the files use is the Apple Intermediate Codec, with sound encoded as Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer. As the .mov file HitFilm responds with, file can't be imported. Just changing the extension to .mp4, .mts, the file imports as audio only. Also I am on a Mac using the latest of Mavericks (9.1). 
    Hopefully something can be done.
  • I have speculated above, and restate here that the issue may be with files encoded to AIC.
    AIC is a proprietary codec. Probably involving license fees for NLE's (NLE's pay higher fees for codecs than players.)
    AIC isn't a very good codec, either. And for some of you, you've noted the strange, non-standard, proprietary 960x540 pixel dimensions that only the iPhone uses. Still betting that's it.
  • Could you try exporting from iMovie to a .mov using a codec other than AIC, please, and see if you have the same issue?
  • edited June 2014
    Has this topic been dropped? I really hope not because it is still happening to me, and I need help quickly because I am doing a wedding video!!! If anyone has an answer please reply to this ASAP
    This same error message is also occuring on certain .mp3 files as well
  • AdyAdy Staff
    Has this topic been dropped? I really hope not because it is still happening to me, and I need help quickly because I am doing a wedding video!!! If anyone has an answer please reply to this ASAP
    This same error message is also occuring on certain .mp3 files as well

Hi,
    The OP was from November 2013 so this thread is quite old.
    Can you raise a Support Ticket here where we will be more than happy to through the process of diagnosing the issue. But it's possible that you might be using an incompatible Codec, do you happen to know what codec you are using?
    As for the .MP3 problem, sadly HitFilm cannot load an MP3 if it contains more than one ID3 tag, if you remove the additional ID3 tags present within the file it should import just fine.
    Thanks,
    Ady

• Hello

I downloaded the free demo of Hitfilm 3 Pro and it can´t inport .mov files. I´m using a Nikon D3200 and i dont work for me. Any tips what i shold do to make it work? 

• As suggested above, its best to contact support. Otherwise, let us know what version of Quicktime you are running, what codec you are working with in your .mov files, and your computer specs, and we can try spot the issue.

• edited April 2015

I dont really know anyting about Quicktime , i dowloaded it just now. So i´m  new to all this, (i dont even know how to play/import your videos in quicktime). But i installed Quicktime 7.7.6 i think but when i start hitfilm  it says please  install quicktime. Im sorry but im trying to learn (ps. im not from england so it can be some misstakes).

• edited April 2015

Yeah it workt, im sorry for taken you time i just dident know that you have to make them into quicktime player. But thank you anyways 

• Yhis is a great topic, helps me a lot! Thank you guys.

• I met the same problem, thus I turned to other Apps recommended by Google such as Brorsoft Video Converter which can fully support various common videos including MOV, AVI, MTS, MXF, MKV .etc.

• Hello Axel. I just installed yourHitfilm3Express . How do I import .mpg files into this version. I know this sounds strange but I cannot seem to do it. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. By the way. I am using windows 8

• @EddyDio - if the files are MPEG-2 then you will need to either convert them to a different format using a free converter like MPEG Streamclip, or purchase the Premium Formats pack, which adds support for MPEG-2 and Dolby AC3.

Personally, I'd recommend converting, as 1) its free, and 2)MPEG isn't a good editing codec anyway.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@EddyDio to expand on what Axel wrote here, just a bit, MPEG-2 is a licensed codec. FxHome isn't making money off the codec pack--that money goes to Sony, Panasonic and Dolby as copyright holders for MPEG-2, AVC/AVCHD and Dolby Digital codecs.

MPEG Streamclip can to the transcode because it's a free-open source program, while HF3X, while free, is still a commercial product.

When Axel says that MPEG isn't a good editing codec, well, he's right. FxHome usually recommends ProRes (MAC) or DNxHD (Windows). The technical reasons can be found in this excellent article: http://telestreamblog.telestream.net/2012/04/save-yourself-frustration-use-editing-formats-when-editing-2/

• Thanks Everyone for the feed back. Now here is the thing. The files, i am trying to import, are from a DVD I made . I burned  a copy from my video camera to a  dvd. So I am trying to import the files from the homemade dvd from my computer.

• In that case, they are certainly MPEG-2, and you will need the Premium formats pack, or better yet, convert them to a better editing format.

• In the same boat as the earlier thread . . . I downloaded .mov files from my iPhone, and when I tried to drag and drop the files into the editing box, it gives me an message saying format is not supported . . . which it evidently does according the user guide.  So, I see in the thread something about downloading Quicktime (which I have), Codex (which I still have no idea about), and file dimensions.  Can anyone give me a simple step by step for how to make my .mov files work?  Just a lowly small business owner trying to splice together a few how-to clips for youtube!

• edited August 2015

Windows 7 64 bit

Latest Quicktime 7.7.7 (installed today)

Codec: DNxHD (AVdn)

Resolution: 720p (although according to VLC the resolution is 1280x738 and the display resolution is 1280x720)

I can't import that, or the MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) version that came out of my camera.

EDIT: changed the extension of the file from my camera, imports just fine.  Wot?

• edited August 2015

Hey,

I did shoot timelapse with my Nikon D610 and i am not able to import it my HitFilm 3. Specs.

Lenght: 35sec

Frame: 1280x720

Frame rate: 59 fps

Data Bitrate: 21626kbps

No Audio

No Protected

Any tips how to get it work?

I try to convert it also but that didn't help.

• Actually got it work by reinstalling HitFilm3 after i had Quicktime installed.

• edited August 2015

I use a panasonic lumix DMC-LX5 it has been working fine with hit film until today! I realized that until today the files have been MTS but now they are MOV i don't know if it is my camera or hit film. please reply ,fin

P.S: my g mail is Fin.walker1@gmail.com   

Sign in to comment