Editing format/ codec for Mac

Best editing format for Hitfilm on Mac?

I know this question has been asked in a number of posts, and reading through those I get that .mp4 is discouraged, and converting to DNxHD is highly recommended. I have tried converting a number of ways, installed the AVID codecs, and I can export a Quicktime .mov with DNxHD codec, but the only thing that comes through is audio, I can't get HitFilm or even VLC to recognize the video.

So any suggestions on that would be welcome, I'm converting using MPEG Streamclip but can't get DNxHD files to work after conversion. 

That said, I then went with ProRes codec, which does work, so my question is should I keep trying to make DNxHD work, or will ProRes work well enough and just stick to that? In my short tests I haven't been able to see any real difference between editing the original .mp4 formats or the converted ProRes .mov files, they both do ok in general though bog down with some effects, but I've only done simple tests, nothing in depth or on a larger project. 

For anyone who works with ProRes, I'm not seeing much difference between Proxy format or higher quality formats, and the size difference makes me lean toward using Proxy as I'm working on primarily personal projects. Anyone recommend differently? 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Do ProRes, yes. ProRes is Mac, DNxHD is Windows. 

If the ProRes proxy looks good enough for you, use it! Especially if your final output is for YouTube or Vimeo where the final display stream is compressed to hell. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Since you're on a Mac stick with ProRes. The DNxHD recommendation is because it's fully multi-platform. In general Windows users can't encode to ProRes, only read it. Other than that limitation ProRes is a great codec that's every bit as good if not better than DNxHD.

If you're happy with the quality you're getting using the proxy settings then stick with that too and only go up if aren't getting the quality you want. 

• Thanks much for the feedback, will leave DNxHD to the Windows folks and move ahead. Cheers! 

• I have a small question, can ProRes be editted on Windows? I do not have a Mac PC right now.

• ProRes can generally be edited, in the sense that a PC will be able to read the files, as long as Quicktime is installed. But writing a ProRes file on a PC is a lot trickier. DNxHD is a similar codec, though, and is easily read or written on both platforms.

Sign in to comment