Graphics Card

I recently bought a Canon EOS Rebel T3i, and the footage is so high quality that it barely runs in HitFilm on my laptop.  I'm thinking about getting a new desktop computer with a GTX 750... would this card allow HitFilm 2 Ultimate to run HD footage with no problem?   Assuming that I have 8 gigs of RAM and over 500 gigs of space.   

Comments

• Yep, I'm running a gtx 750.

• HitFilm uses your CPU to decode and encode footage, so a new graphics card won't necessarily translate to better performance there.  Also, the performance hit on your footage comes from the way it is compressed, not the quality.  The T3i is a great camera, which uses a rubbish codec to compress the footage it creates.  You can convert the footage to a format that is much higher quality, such as Avid DNxHD or ProRes, and see much better performance.

The problem with the footage is that is uses a codec that is not intended for editing, with intra-frame compression.

• So... if I didn't want to convert the footage, is there another editing software that you would recommend?  Like maybe Premiere?

• Using different editing software won't change the fact that that codec isn't designed for editing. The footage coming from DSLR's is intended to be converted before it is edited, no matter what software you are using.

http://telestreamblog.telestream.net/2012/04/save-yourself-frustration-use-editing-formats-when-editing-2/

If you don't want to convert the footage, you are just trading the convenience of avoiding conversion for inferior performance during editing, which I think is less convenient in the long run. The proxy system in HitFilm 3 Pro makes the conversion just about as painless as possible though, you just right-click the footage you want to convert, and select Make Proxy.

Personally, I convert all my footage at the same time that I copy it to my harddrive, so there isn't even an extra step added. I just slot in the flash card from my camera, and use a conversion program to save the footage to my harddrive in an editing format. Then I never have to worry about it again, no matter what video apps I am using. MPEG Streamclip is what I use for my Canon footage. Its awesome, its free, and it offers batch processing.

• Besides change to a highly configured computer, another way to edit your video footages in Hitfilm is to compress and transcode the video clips with a video converter like Pavtube . Then you will find it is simple to import Canon EOS Rebel T3i footages in HTF.

• I've actually been using MPEG Streamclip, I just don't like to use it because the process is slow.  Do you have a suggestion for what I should be converting the footage to?  I've been converting to mp4, which seems to work.  Just recently I discovered that I can change the file extension of the footage to .mp4 instead of .mov; this is much faster and works just as well.  However, when I change the file extension instead of converting, the footage becomes slightly more contrasted and starts to loose detail.

• I wouldn't advise converting to MP4, its still a delivery codec, and is not designed for editing. I would recommend converting to .mov using either the Avid DNxHD codec (if you are on Windows) or the ProRes codec (if you are on Mac)

• edited July 2015

I just got HitFilm 3 Express, and the proxy system works perfectly.  However, I still use HitFilm 2 Ultimate for most projects, and I use MPEG Streamclip.  I don't seem to have a problem converting the footage to QuickTime, but the Avid DNxHD codec (I am using Windows) isn't listed under Compression.  Any ideas on why this could be?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

With the Windows version of MPEG Streamclip you have to select "Export to Other Formats..." first. In the window that opens make sure Compression: is set to Quick Time Movie and then click the Options button. In the new window that opens click the Settings button under Video. You should now be able to select the Avid codec in the Compression Type: drop down list.

MPEG Streamclip's "Export to Quicktime..." function is reserved for the QuickTime codecs it understands natively and the encoding is done internally. With any codec it doesn't natively understand you have to go the export to other formats route and when you do this MPEG Streamclip calls on QuickTime components to do the encoding.

• Thank-you so much!  At first I couldn't find the Avid DNxHD option STILL but it turned out I just had to download an Avid codec pack that I apparently didn't already have.  Works fine!

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Oh yeah! Actually having the codec installed might help :)

Sign in to comment