Problems with QuickTime on Windows and 32-bit limitations (answer)

I rendered out a bunch of raw footage into ProRes HQ, UltraHD. On my Surfact Pro 3, 8 GB ram 512GB disk I tried to load the footage into HitFilm.

The first few clips imported and played back, no problem. So I added more. Even though all of the clips are the same format, at some point HitFilm stops loading them, stops playing any of them back (even ones that played back fine when I first loaded them), and when I right clicked and selected "reload" it switched to "File Not Supported" even though clearly the files ARE supported... because they're all the same format

The project files are here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B89KQBP872QpemIxbUZEU3Q2Y3M&usp=sharing

As indicated, this is a showstopper bug. I'm going to try this also on my mac... hoepfully I'll have better luck there, or else I'll have to go back to Premiere.

Comments

• edited November 2014

Update: it works on my MacBook Pro Retina (core i7 2.7 GHz, 1 GB display ram, 512 GB SSD).

• Apple crippled QuickTime on Windows--it's still 32-bit,thus has issues dealing with memory addresses greater than 4GB. Your Pro-Res files are QuickTime. That's probably what's causing your issue. If so, that's Apple's fault, not FxHome's. 

• What Triem said - BUT we are looking at workarounds and fixes we can do our end to sidestep the issue. 

• Which issue, @SimonKJones? 32-bit QuickTime, or lack of deinterlace? Or both? 

• edited November 2014

I sometimes forget precisely how lame apple is, and how much they insist on screwing even their own customers and partners (you'd think they were amazon or walmart).

Here's to hoping that the new DNxHD format remains open and free, or that new open-source format that recently got Kickstarter funding gets enough traction.

I'm glad that it's working at least on my mac though, since I'm finding the interface for the NLE to be very user friendly.

• edited November 2014

We are looking in to what we can do with QuickTime.

We know of other Windows editing software with the same issue but there are also large companies who appear to have engineered around it (maybe with help from Apple).

We are going to work on it but I know it won't be a quick thing to fix.

HITFILM also believe in the MOX project and it is something we intend to embrace should it be possible.

• @triem23 - I think you might be getting another topic muddled in? There's no mention of deinterlacing in this discussion....

@WhiteCranePhoto - we're going to be working with the MOX people to see what we can do with that one. DNxHD is also something we'd like to better support down the line (ie, export as well as import).

• Simon, you are of course correct--I think I came here right from the other thread about a deinterlace issue. Wires crossed. Ignore my previous comment, and this one. I guess. 

• Why do we need Quicktime in HF in the first place?  Can't mov files be manipulated with out that crap software installed?  Drives me nuts on my PC's, especially when the majority of videos out there are mp4 or something other than mov then you hit that ONE odd video on the net and all sorts of popups, blocking unblocking, activating windows and alerts start going off on my screen.  Crazy.

I am for the work around and possible work without quicktime installed at all on windows.

I am not a mac or apple user, sorry.

• @idrankwhat The reason for using QuickTime is to get ProRes support, because it's a much better format for editing than mp4...

• edited November 2014

No, I totally get why mov is used for editing what I don't get is why you need QT installed to work with that format.   MP4 I don't need a whole different software installed just to use that format or MP3 or AVCHD etc...

WMV I don't need windows movie maker installed just to create or edit a WMV file in HF2.

• edited November 2014

It's just for the codec. Microsoft doesn't get it, so they don't include a professional codec with Windows.

• edited November 2014

Should be a way to get the codec without having the full QT installed, which by the way Apple spys on you and your computer files, internet usage through QT and their other software "service" that gets installed with it.  Was in their TOS for QT but haven't read it lately to see.

I just don't get why companies do this, have you install full softwares just for a codec. Dumb in my view.

• edited November 2014

They do it to force people to use their products. Apple tried it with Shake; they bought Nothing Real, discontinued the WIndows version of Shake, and now Shake is basically gone. Microsoft actually did the same thing with RenderMorphics, but that one ended up thriving.It's now DirectX.

• As mentioned, QT has some spyware, but it's about control. Apple wants to control your experience. They want you to have a worse experience on Windows so you'll blame Microsoft. With WMV, that came along when Microsoft made all the money and would give things away to undercut paid competition. That and TrueType which is a Postscript-compatible font format that happened to undercut Apple's paid Postscript. 

If FCPX wasn't optimized for ProRes, QT would be dead or dying in favor of the free, cross-platform DNxHD. 

• What's keeping ProRes alive as a "standard" is the fact that so many people are loyal to Apple, in spite of Apple's mediocre engineering and complete lack of interest in customers' needs.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment