Maximizing HitFilm performance

Is there something I need to do in order to use my GPU with Hitfilm? Because I just started the program and it's not fast for me at all. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 460. Thanks.

Comments

• Nothing to do to make Hitfilm use your GPU.
    Are you doing any particular operations to make it slow or is it just slow navigating, clicking buttons, importing media, dragging new stuff in the timelines ?
    The more information you can give us, the better it will be.
  • What are the specs for the computer? RAM, Processor, etc? That would pinpoint the problem, because that GPU is perfectly fine for Hitfilm.
  • Like we said in the roadmap video, there is tons of optimisation work to be done in the software. The developers will be starting work on this straight away and we expect some big performance boosts in future updates.
    Things to note is that QuickTime isn't optimised at all at the moment, so will often slow down performance of the timeline (there will be a fix for this in a future update). Also avoid using codecs which aren't very suitable for editing like MP4/AVC/H.264. While the software will work with these codecs they are not transcoded to a more edit friendly format so they can make the timeline more laggy.
    What footage type and resolution are you working with RodyPolis?
  • If I bring in a video it works fine without much problems and will play smooth (now that I don't have a Quicktime file). The thing though, if I'm trying to scroll through the timeline with the needle thing (not sure what you call it) sometimes it'll take a while before responding. So right now it's mostly just buttons and stuff taking a little bit to respond. When I switch the Render Preview size, it takes a while before changing etc.
    Also I tried the bonfire effect, and I can't get the effect to play smoothly. I even put the preview at Quarter, and it won't play it smoothly. So I don't know if it's my computer, or if it's the program.
    In your preview videos everything seems to be smooth and fast, and I remember Josh or Simon once said that their computer wasn't as powerful as mine so I expected mine to be even faster.
    BTW how do I RAM preview?
    Anyways, my specs are:
    i7 Processor 3.2 GHz
    12 GB of Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 460
    and a 2TB Raid ) hard drive.
    Maybe I should try restarting my computer or something idk Lol
  • Thanks for the information RodyPolis. :)
    The pre-made 3D particle effects are the most intensive to render and won't often render in real-time (although we'll be working on improving this). Sometimes you can get significantly more performance from building your own in the particle system.
    In the coming weeks and months we'll be working on caching systems rather than forcing you to do specific RAM previews. In these same updates there will be some big optimisations in the rendering pipeline.
    Until we implement the features above it can be useful to render very intensive shots out then import them - I know this was done with some of the Prism shots and it is a similar workflow to what you might use in After Effects.
    Optimisation, 2D point tracking and editing improvements are our top priority to-dos. :)
  • So no RAM preview yet? Noooo!!! But hey other than the bonfire effect a lot of the stuff seem to be working in real time so maybe I won't need it that much. Thanks for your help.
  • Well, we have several options for caching, and we might well implement a RAM cache of sorts if it will give us additional performance boosts of our other ideas. :)
  • I have the same configuration:
    intel 980X
    12Gb mem
    GTX 480
    RAID 0 = 4x120Gb
    Screen = 1920x1200
    Unfortunately the program is too slow for editing video MP4.(same as VisionLab Studio)
    I noticed that performance improves when I reduce video screen resolution. (1280x1024)
  • Hello! I'm a new tester of this product, just downloaded couple hours ago (Ultimate), and I think it needs a lot of optimizing.
    My PC is a nuclear reactor, Intel 980X, 24 GB RAM, GTX 580, Raid 0 (4x2TB), so I think this could be enough for full HD editing, but it's falter. Tried out with native files from a 5D M2, and with converted MPEG2s. Of course the MPEGs are much better, but still glitchy, sometimes a simple transion is ignored and jumped, so it should be much faster. I noticed some performance improvement when I disabled the sound.
    Sorry guys, I'm using Premiere Pro and After Effects CS 5.5 so I'm used to that solid real time performance. :) But I can understand, that this is a brand new product, and has the ability to merge editing with compositing, so this is very exciting!
    Please, tell us how we can help to evolve this product to be a fast and cheap, rock solid post production software? I'm a long time fan of Adobe products, and noticed, that the interface and thinking pretty much the same. So this could be so cool, to operate with a decent Adobe-like performance. :)
    Cheers guys! :)
  • So I spent the day working with this and trying different stuff. It does have a lot of potential, but I'm not gonna spend anymore time trying to figure it out until the tutorials come out. I need a good overview tutorial, then I'll be in business.
    Also, you said you have some other options for caching, what are they? I'm just kinda surprised you guys don't have RAM preview. My old CompositeLab Lite has it so why not Hitfilm? What am I supposed to do when something isn't playing real time? I can't just hope that it looks right, nor can I be rendering everything all the time.
  • Thanks for all the extra information guys - it is really useful to us and thank you so much for being early adopters. Over the next few months it will be you guys who see the biggest changes in the software and have the chance to influence us the most. :)
    The development team are already reading the forums this morning and taking notes for future updates.
    We will be doing some small releases, but the first significant update (version 1.1) will focus on optimisation and performance. The ground work has been done by creating and implementing all the powerful features in the software so we have a good base to work from. While the software is mainly a compositor, with editing features included, we'll still be doing all we can to make it the best that it can be.
    lecza - Nice machine! I've been transcoding Canon DSLR footage to MPEG2 as well when I'm editing in HitFilm. It is worth noting that if you change the file suffix of the native files from .mov to .mp4 then HitFilm may be rather snappier. I myself can't wait for our QuickTime optimisations to happen. :)
  • Shame on demo u cant do an export to your pc.....I only ask as my laptop is not the speedest in the world..and with no ram preview I cant really see what im getting in real time....seeing an export would have given me a better chance to asses output ( or im doing something wrong)
    But really excited about Hitfilm...looks very user friendly
  • just been reading the forums and working with Hitfilm to improve the frame rate and a few people say that Quicktimes are not great for importing until an optimising Update is done. Can some one give me advice on what format the footage I import should be to try to help frame rates ?? H264 seems to be no no ??
  • Hey I also found out that that the Cineform avi files don't work well with this (it slows or skips during playback), but the files straight from the camera does. Which is weird since usually it's the contrary in other programs.
    I haven't crashed Hitfilm once yet so that's a plus!
  • I have had no stability problems at all its all working well from that point of view...I like the interface..very AE like..I did some tests and the footage that was stuttering I changed to AVI file with cinepack codec and with little compression it played in real time...result...so Im alot happier...Still would love a way to render like AE or Ram Preview...I dont mind the time waiting so I can see results play back in Real time and dont have to export out every time...What is really strange I played a bit with the Particle generator and that played back with no stuttering...
    I think Im going to love this prog as long as RAM PREVIEW/RENDER/REAL TIME play back is sorted..
  • Don't worry guys, now the functionality is mainly there performance is just going to get better and better. Glad you're enjoying the software. :)
  • edited July 2011
    I would be great if we had some kind of tool for dragging many points at once. (Ex: Dragging points for an animated mask, as in making lightsabers.) Right now you can drag one point at a time or the whole mask. It would be nice to select a series of points and then be able to drag them. I know that this is a little off topic, but this would speed up work flow on larger projects. By the way, I love Hit Film Ultimate. Keep up the great work. I look forward to all the new optimizations.
    Thanks,
    John L. B-)
  • edited July 2011

I would be great if we had some kind of tool for dragging many points at once. (Ex: Dragging points for an animated mask, as in making lightsabers.) Right now you can drag one point at a time or the whole mask. It would be nice to select a series of points and then be able to drag them. I know that this is a little off topic, but this would speed up work flow on larger projects. By the way, I love Hit Film Ultimate. Keep up the great work. I look forward to all the new optimizations.
    Thanks,
    John L. B-)

Keep CTRL modifier down when you select points to select more than one, and still keeping the modifier down, move one of the point around, the others selected points will follow.
    Is it what you wanted ?
  • I just bought it had to uninstall it because it is slow and cannot be used for editing I have an ample computer system and use AE no problem Man What A Dissapointment I may need to get my money back soon if I cannot use it for Editing
  • @Edward, what are your system specs? If you let them know they may know how to make it run faster...
  • Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Edition 6.1 (build: 7600)
    CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 at 2660 MHz (x 4)
    Physical memory (Total: 3,893.85 MB)
    Radeon Graphics Card HD6470M
    Any ideas on how to optimize for smoother playback. Jumps with every file resolution from 720P to 1080I NTSC. Any help would be great!
  • Intel i7 laptop with high-end nvidia card (with Physx) and 16GB ram. Screen size is 22inches, so a VERY large laptop that is NOT portable at all, but has all the power of my editing desktop at my studio. 2TB of storage.
    I am a FX Home product owner for several years - tend not to use your software for the same reason I mention below - just too darn slow.
    I use Vegas Pro 10 and Combustion on this laptop with no problems or lag. However, tried HitFilm and it is much too slow. I cannot preview any of my video in realtime at any resolution. I do a LOT of green screen work and compositing and Vegas Pro 10 allows me to key in realtime, or I can do a selective render. I cannot find that in Hitfilm. I also cannot find any cropping tools (other than masking something). Combustion allows me to composite in realtime as well.
    We're not talking about particle effects or anything. I have mt2 (mpg2) files (from my Canon XH A1) and I bring them in and it's 100% choppy. I just cannot edit like this.
    I want to buy this software because you are on the right track - marrying true editing with true compositing and effects in one program - saves me from rendering out of Vegas and bringing it into Combustion and then BACK into Vegas. Arggghh. However, I need to be able to see my video cleanly and clearly.
    As soon as you fix the video playing problems, I will commit.
    Mike
  • Here, here, KarmaComposer (Mike). I really want to buy this software at the special price but I am concerned I'll be getting something that still acts "beta." Cheers for making it look polished "FXHomeys," but honestly once you look... it's like a Camaro with a Prius hybrid engine. Please give us some hope this playback jitter is something that will get solved before our vouchers time out... I have a 14 year old young student filmmaker really excited about this marriage!
  • The software will get loads faster in the near future, guys. As Josh mentioned in the Roadmap video prior to release, and has been discussed on the forums here in several places, all of our focus prior to launch was on getting features in place and functioning. Now we will be focusing on optimizing everything so it runs as fast as it can. Without being optimized, everything is bound to perform less than ideally, but rectifying that is one of our chief goals over the upcoming weeks.
  • edited July 2011
    Super fast Cineform .Avi playback on the timeline and in 3D please
    Chill out people, we'll get there
    :D :D :D

• Super fast Cineform .Avi playback on the timeline and in 3D please
    Chill out people, we'll get there
    :D :D :D

Chill out? LOL. A road map is great to have and I think everyone (including me) is looking forward to the promise... but releasing a software with promises is really just "vaporware" until it really works. I think concrete answers and timelines would help build confidence.
  • If it helps, maybe you can pretend you don't know Hitfilm is out yet idomagic ;)
  • Hey idomagic. We are working on performance improvements but just recently we had to get a couple of release bugs fixed before we could move on. I hope we'll have a more solid roadmap for you in the very next future. :)
  • edited July 2011

Hey idomagic. We are working on performance improvements but just recently we had to get a couple of release bugs fixed before we could move on. I hope we'll have a more solid roadmap for you in the very next future. :)

Excellent news!

If it helps, maybe you can pretend you don't know Hitfilm is out yet idomagic ;)

Good idea but HitFilm is out and my very attractive upgrade discount voucher expires very soon. I really want HitFilm on the surface of it, but I don't want to buy beta software either. I've been burned one too many times.
  • @ idomagic:
    "waporware" means "Software that has been announced but never released". I don´t think it fits on hitfilm.. in fact the time between announcement and release was quite short ;)
    And please, name ONE Software, that had a perfect performance on v1.0, and didn´t needed any improvement with later updates. There is none.
    Hitfilm is v1.0, and you can "get the idea" with it and the demo. You can see&try what you get, what the software is able to do. Performance and Stability is ALWAYS something that improves over several updates after a new software is released... at least if the software company is able to do that. I´m quite confident fxhome is.

Sign in to comment