Triem 23's "Hey, I'm Working on THIS!" page (Update: Eagle Transporter Flyby Test Jan 31, 2018)

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Thank for the feedback!
    Robin--I actually wanted the flyover to be slower (the motion path of the copter is designed to bring it right across the face of the sun so the spinning rotors can occlude the Sun Flare.), so, for what I intended for the shot, it's the beginning where the copter is moving too fast. And, yeah, I need to bring it to a halt a little above the ground then s-l-o-w-l-y go those last couple of feet.
    Incidentally, this is a really simple comp. there's only the environment map, the copter model, a shadow catcher and a particle sim (one emitter, two particle systems) and two lights. One light is sitting where the sun flare would be, the other is actually sitting at the camera position, targeting the heli as it moves. The second light is down at something like 10% brightness, just for a bit of fill.
    Animation was done backwards--I started with the heli on the ground (Using that van on the left of the frame as reference to try and get the scale and positioning correct) then worked back to the beginning of the shot.
    Also--I picked my "landing spot" pretty carefully--but, if you look closely, I didn't do any kind of masking of the particle sim or the shadow... they're totally sitting on top of everything else, but it doesn't read like the shadow and dust are totally over those bushes in the mid-right of frame. I think it's because of the Lens Dirt effect. Those "camera artifacts" cover up the shadow.
    How's the dust at the end working--that's the bit I can't decide if I'm unhappy with?
  • Judging from watching various helicopters the last 7 years, the dust should blow outward 360- in waves would be ideal. A little thicker at first and thinning after a few seconds. But what you've done here still looks excellent.
    edited October 2013
    Stormy, what you've described is the look I'm trying for. I haven't nailed it yet.
    I had a long-ass description here of what the particle sim was doing, but Now I'm just keeping the bit about what i changed--there's also a good hint in here for getting depth occlusion in an environment map, so read on.
    The particle sim for the dust was a single "circle" emitter with two particle sims--brown dust and grey dust. the Trajectory has been set to random. There is a turbulence force and the shadow catcher layer is also a particle deflector. Mass and friction are low, bounce is pretty high. It didn't quite have the right look. I tried changing the trajectory of the dust emitter to "Cone", raising the height of the emitter on the y axis and aiming the cone at the deflector plane at a 120 degree spread and increasing the bounce of the Brown Dirt layer. I changed the emitter to "Boundary," then went into the lifetime panel and adjusted the gradient I was using to drive alpha--I then decreased base texture size, increased Particles per Socond and used the Lifetime panel to increase the size of the particles over time. I also went ahead and rotated the emitter in the same direction as the copter main rotor, and gave the particles some attachment to and velocity velocity from emitter. It's looking a bit better, but It's still not getting the "waves" effect.
    Any other ideas?
    *EDIT* (30 more minutes later) The changes I made to the particle sim means I am getting a lot more billowing from the dust--it was blowing over the parts of the environment map that should lie between the copter and the camera--so (pay attention, this is a good hint) I took a copy of my environment map image into Photoshop (GIMP would work as well) and took the polygon lasso tool. I made a quick and dirty selection of just the areas of the environment map that should be between the camera and copter (foreground fence/trees/sidewalk) and deleted everything else. this second image is the exact same size as the original map, keeping just the areas I want to use for occlusion, leaving the rest transparent. I brought this occlusion layer back into Hitfilm and gave it the same Environment Map settings as the main background layer.
    Everything lines up perfectly, and now the "foreground" elements cut off the billowing dust.
    http://youtu.be/RqJg9cdkzUc
    Revised according to notes above.
    edited October 2013
    Lil Preview of Bug's Halloween Hootenanny X--build in progress.
    Dateline--Anaheim, CA
    For ten years Bug and the Hoot Supercrew have worked to expand their Halloween extravaganza from it's humble roots in a garage to it's current "mighty" standings in a driveway.
    It's amazing how much structure you can pack in a driveway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cisQNWpVQvk
  • Nice revision on the heli landing.
    If Anaheim were in Wisconsin- I'd be there for HHX!
  • No video on this post, but I'll show off something that counts as a "Practical Effect"--Namely, my Halloween costume: sadly, last minute problems meant I had to lose the bald cap and face tentacles, but the Arm tentacles are custom-made and the rest of the prosthetics are as well (except the beak). My lovely fiancee makes a creep clown to go with my scary squidman.
    I made small children cry, their mothers scream, their fathers laugh, and I chased teenaged girls down the street, all caught on our 24 security cameras and/or by our handheld cameraman...
    [attachment=679:Me and Laura A Hoot X.jpg]
  • OK, Video on this post:
    Basically, I'm working on creating a "Black Hole" with the particle simulator, and, as I was messing around, suddenly I ended up with this star shape--very odd considering that I have a point at co-ordinate 0,0,0 and a second point orbiting the center point on a single axis with a point emitter set to a random trajectory locked to the orbit point with a big, cube gravity force pulling everything towards 0,0,0.
    Hey, sometimes when you play with physics, you get random, somewhat useful things.
    http://youtu.be/ESaivZxKyZ8
  • Haha that is kind of creepy - awesome find, and it looks really cool, too!
  • Haha that is kind of creepy - awesome find, and it looks really cool, too!

Here's the relevant settings if you want to try something similar:
    Comp: 1280x720 @ 23.97fps
    "Vortex Point" is at 0,0,0
    Vortex point rotates 360 degrees every 10 seconds
    Emitter:
    Point
    Attach to layer: Vortex Point
    Position 250,0,0
    Trajectory: Random
    Particle Systems: (there are two--identical except Particles per second, Particle Color and Particle Scale)
    particles per second: 200 ish
    Life: 10 seconds
    Emitter Attachment 0
    Velocity from Emitter: 100%
    Speed: 0
    Mass: 5.8
    Forces:
    Cuboid, 2000px X, 2000 px Y, 500 px Z
    Attraction, Strength 50%
    I don't think anything else in the particle sim is relevant (Particle textures and colors can always be changed), but this combination of rotational inertia and attraction seems to form a stable star (I'd originally set mass from 0 to 7 and got a near-star. When I saw what was happening, I finessed the Mass to get it to line up right).
    Also, if you keep everything else the same, but play around with the mass settings, you can get different shapes. I've gotten a triangle and an uneven 6-pointed star.
    I'm keeping this in mind for next Halloween--Attach another particle sim to the same rig with no gravity and I can get the circle to make a full rotating 3D pentagram, and THAT, my friends, is gonna be part of next year's Hoot logo.

• Just tried it out - it really is as simple as that. Awesome. Instead of using the mass value, you can also mess with the strength of the force to alter the shape, 25% gives you a triangle with curved sides, and you can get stars with other (uneven) number of spikes. Really interesting dynamics going on there.
  • Yeah--It'll be fun to play with the dynamics of the varied forces--I assume changing the speed of the orbit point would change the geometry of the particle shapes, but it was something I was messing with while waiting for some client notes*. Now I've finished the renders, and have to build the DVD structure--then, bed.
    *Always fun when the client sends the edit notes 12 hours before the final project is (in theory) due--I LOVE pulling all-night finishing sessions. Third time in a row the client delivered edit notes within 48 hours of delivery date--I delivered my initial edit on October 12....
    edited November 2013
    Because we all need to play with our new effects, here's a re-grade of an old project using anamorphic flare and cinestyle. Also the first time I tried to cut audio in Hitfilm. (Which....yeah, Vegas is way better for the audio mix. *Shrug*)
    EDIT Ah, yes, and just noticed I rendered it with the music missing. Heh. Fuggit, it's 5am. ;-)
    http://youtu.be/l9SsmfF0gq8
  • Love the flaring when the ships are in extremely close the camera. Grade works pretty well, too - looks alien but in a more natural way, compared to one of the earlier iterations.
  • Yeah.  It's looks like martian, but with a thick gaseous atmosphere vibe.
  • Simon Jones inspired Clone Test:
    http://youtu.be/ZVjQjGysZD0
    Building off his proof of concept, I did this shot with two pieces of stock footage, then used time shift to seed particles one second before the animation began to get more motion variation.
    With a dancer, it's a mess, but if it were more subtle movement--say, a clone army standing at attention during a briefing, or even if it were clones deploying weapons, you can see where this would add more variation.
    Incidentally, Simon's technique could be useful for large space or ground battles---create a plate of a tank or a fighter or something, use the particle sim to create clones, then move the whole emitter layer around. Or use an explosion as the particle source and you have a far-off chain of explosions, like in a Star Wars battle, or the background of the Dalek invasion in Day of the Doctor---there's just a lot of uses for this technique.
  • I initially looked at this and thought 'wow - too much movement', but now I've read what you're saying, I see exactly what you're doing by doing an exaggerated version. 
    Perhaps this test isn't aesthetically pleasing but it's a great example of what can be achieved with subtle movements. The technique can be used for anything. 
    I would love to see it used in a battle sequence. 
  • Thanks much. Simon's initial proof-of-concept with the "flappy veil" woman was so subtle, I thought it was another still on firs.Viewing. As noted, I went for over-kinetic. My next try at this, I am going to shoot custom human elements and try a mocha track, AND do a big fleet of helecopters or UFOs or something. A real challenge of the technique. See if billboarding the textures puts in too much artificial rotation on a pan.
  • http://youtu.be/49rWDrQ8J1Q
    Because, once in awhile, one must redo one's logo. Don't know if this is the one I'm going to go with.
  • http://youtu.be/r071XqteTIM
    Another Logo--Note: This isn't a set of either/or choices. I usually keep two or three "current" logos in rotation. The one above would be used more for something corporate/industrial. This one would be used more for personal event, or maybe weddings. Eventually I'll have an updated wedding variant, and a fourth for band and concerts.
    edited December 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVxtjoMWYdw
    Clones tracked in mocha... May as well make this a flare entry, too, since I don't think I'm going to have time to do the Timestop shot I wanted.
    edited December 2013
    Yup---still playing with particle clones....
    Alien Invasion fleet---ships, weapons fire and explosions all generated with particle sims.
    Changed size of the planet just before render, forgot to change the explosion emitter to match, so it's a bit off, but proof-of-concept established.
    I'll probably do a VFX breakdown for this soon. Also will render another pass of the particle fleet flying by, because I have the individual ships far enough away from the camera where it's hard to tell that the saucers are actually rotating.
    Incidentally, this was about 7-8 hours to render the main 20 second animation:
    There are 400 particle ships, each generated from a 30-second 720x360 texture source.
    Each ship fires 5 times over the course of the animation.
    Lasers are a duplicate of the saucer emitter using a spark streak texture. The lasers actually spawn with no velocity, and are drawn down by a gravity force. The saucers spawn with a ten second time shift, the lasers do not. Ships and lasers are from sphere emitters set to boundry. The laser emitter is about 150 pixels smaller in diameter. Because both emitters have the same seed, lasers spawn aligned with the ships. Several copies of the laser emitter are used to produce a constant barrage.
    This means that there are 2000 explosions in the animation--each explosion generated from a 100x100, 7-second animation, which is just the Firey Explosion Quick 3D preset in it's own composite shot. The explosions are copies of the laser emitters with the gravity removed, the emitter shrunk to match the planet (I got that wrong) and shifted on the timeline to be 12 frames after the lasers. The explosions look a touch late, and probably should have been 4 frames earler.
    The planet is a low-res model, and I should have replaced it.
    To mix and mask the 3D model planet with the particle sims, I duplicated the fleet and explosions particle sims, set texture color to white, then added a second emitter. This second emitter is a plain black circle, sized to match the planet and set to billboard to camera. This gave me white particles with the background ones cut off by a black circle--I used this as a luma matte source for the main particle layers. As stated above, I ended up with a mismatch on the explosions, but the way the fleet occludes is close to dead on.
    http://youtu.be/uEqsjD4T2jY

• Changed size of the planet just before render, forgot to change the explosion emitter to match, so it's a bit off, but proof-of-concept established.
    I'll probably do a VFX breakdown for this soon. Also will render another pass of the particle fleet flying by, because I have the individual ships far enough away from the camera where it's hard to tell that the saucers are actually rotating.

This looks like a great experiment - and with the changes you have suggested it would be a great scene. Are you going to do another version with the updated ideas because I'd love to see a VFX breakdown of that!

• I am going to do at least one more sequence with this.
    Actually, tonight I am going to try a simple "flyby" with the fleet, but I want to experiment with moving the lights in the composite shot generating the saucer texture as the camera pans with the fleet... I am seriously having way too much fun with particle cloning.
    I think, eventually, I will totally do a pass at the planet bombardment again, along with 13 TARDIS's and Peter Capaldi's eyebrows.
  • That's a neat idea.  But the flyby is a little fast.  I couldn't see much detail on the ships.  But it made me think of DS9, when the Romulan/Cardassian fleet went to destroy the Founders home world.
  • Actually, I was thinking "DAY OF THE DOCTOR>"
    Stand by--I am rendering the second of two new shots of these saucers made with the particle clones... Now that I have a couple of bugs worked out, I expect a jaw drop or two. ;-)
    edited December 2013

This looks like a great experiment - and with the changes you have suggested it would be a great scene. Are you going to do another version with the updated ideas because I'd love to see a VFX breakdown of that!

That's a neat idea.  But the flyby is a little fast.  I couldn't see much detail on the ships.  But it made me think of DS9, when the Romulan/Cardassian fleet went to destroy the Founders home world.

Yeah--So two shots in the next clip:
    http://youtu.be/TlZV6iYXSfU
    Shot one was an experiment in getting the saucers to fly over the camera. This was interesting, since it required me to figure out how to best match the camera move in the composite shot that generated the cloned texture.
    Shot two is just a tons-of-light beauty shot getting up close and personal with two random saucers of the 400 in the fleet.
  • Very cool, especially with the nebula mixed in.
  • edited December 2013
    Excellent! I am curious to see if this process works with ships that aren't round
    i.e. will they all point the same direction?
    Keep up the great work!!!
  • For the laser and explosions you could probably have set up a mobile emitter, whereby the explosion is triggered after the laser dies.
    Really clever work.

Sign in to comment